THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Deciding btwn 228 vs 235

07-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Dan GSR
Rep
Drives: GTI

Deciding btwn 228 vs 235

I LOVE the estoril blue, but to get that color in the 228 is an extra $3500 because of mandatory msport package

a 228 optioned the way i want is $5,500 less than a 235 the way I'd want it

question is, would a JB4 228i satisfy me? I feel like the optioned out 228 is the best option
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

The only draw back between the 228i is the sound. The 6 is going to sound much better. It is marginally faster...but unless you are racing I doubt you will notice the difference. The 228i is still very fast. If you are going to tune it you can make up some of the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

When $ is an issue, go with the 228i. Cheaper to buy and cheaper to run in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

That's a lot of $$ to be able to get a color. I wound up avoiding MSport to get VO!! I see you are trying to build the Superman look. Check out using Deep Sea Blue. A forum member has DSB with Coral interior near here which I've seen in person and it looks great, better to me than with Estoril and Coral which has a contrast too harsh for my eyes.

I can't be objective about black...never liked it, never will...too hot, too hard to keep clean, shows every bird eyelash which falls on it. My next black car will be when I'm riding far in the back.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

With the 2016 M235i, you are getting the premium package (-leather, $700), the engine has the BMW Performance Package ($1500-$2000), more powerful 6 cylinder engine with a more lineal power delivery and sounds better from idle to full throttle inside and outside the car, alarm ($400). I may have missed something, but you are up to at least $2600 worth of additional options on the M235i that is included in the price. In addition, you get the famous BMW 6 cylinder engine and an M on the trunk :-)

It all boils down to money, on the loaded end of the scale the M235i seems like a better deal to me, but I think the 228i conservatively configured is a total bargain for what you get. I'd get the 228i over a fully loaded GTI performance any day of the week.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I really like the way that you configured the first 228. It's the way I wanted mine. I found mine in MBM and fell in love with the color so the M Sport stuff took a back seat to the color and convenient options with the manual transmission. I couldn't be happier and I came from a high HP car. Don't miss it for a second. The black though.....never again.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I'm not sure if they're standard or not now but in my opinion the sport seats are a must. When I got my car, a 2014 you needed m sport or sportline to get them. The standard seats are in bolstered. To me they seemed straight out of a Camry.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
The only draw back between the 228i is the sound. The 6 is going to sound much better. It is marginally faster...but unless you are racing I doubt you will notice the difference. The 228i is still very fast. If you are going to tune it you can make up some of the difference.
Agreed on this. And although that color is expensive for you, I think the msport package makes the 228 look way better so it wouldn't be waste. The steering wheel alone is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
That's a lot of $$ to be able to get a color. I wound up avoiding MSport to get VO!! I see you are trying to build the Superman look. Check out using Deep Sea Blue. A forum member has DSB with Coral interior near here which I've seen in person and it looks great, better to me than with Estoril and Coral which has a contrast too harsh for my eyes.

I can't be objective about black...never liked it, never will...too hot, too hard to keep clean, shows every bird eyelash which falls on it. My next black car will be when I'm riding far in the back.
Agreed I was deciding between EB And DSB I ended up getting DSB for the cost savings but after I made the order I'm glad I went DSB. The EB seems a bit too light for me personally so just a thought maybe you could just go DSB if you didn't care too much about the M package
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

The 228 is excellent. If you don't want to spend the extra coin for 235, I doubt you would regret the 228. Try to drive them both to determine your preference.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

A lot depends on how much HP you need. My 228i is plenty fast for my needs on city streets and the freeway. It all depends on how you will use the car.

My personal opinion is you hit a point with HP and speed, that makes no practical sense if you are primarily driving on city streets and freeways. If you want to take your car to the track on a regular basis, an investment in the additional HP makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
The steering wheel alone is amazing.
Difference of opinion here. I strongly preferred the grained leather of the Sportline which feels better in my hand and the Sportline wheel has a nice substantial rim section. To me, the ungrained, shiny/smooth leather on MSport feels cheap. There are some differences in center hub styling, but those are relatively minor and no big deal either way, certainly less significant than the feel of the actual leather!!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
For me, the kicker was not being able to get a reasonably well-equipped 228i without the sunroof. I just don't fit with it, and a helmet is out of the question. Plus when you added the toys to a 228i, the price got too close to not just make the jump.

Note that if you are ordering, it will be a 2016 now, and both price and standard equipment have changed markedly. Price up a little, equipment levels up A LOT, so overall a better value, IMHO. The 2016 order guide is posted in the Pricing section on here.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

If you don't have to have leather, you can save $1,500 on package b bringing it down to around $39.5. That's before any discounts, so you can possible get it for $37k-$38k.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

If you plan on tuning the car I would really go with the 235.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Difference of opinion here. I strongly preferred the grained leather of the Sportline which feels better in my hand and the Sportline wheel has a nice substantial rim section. To me, the ungrained, shiny/smooth leather on MSport feels cheap. There are some differences in center hub styling, but those are relatively minor and no big deal either way, certainly less significant than the feel of the actual leather!!
Interesting, I feel that the sportline wheel (grainy fake leather/rubbery plastic), feels extremely cheap and outdated. As opposed to the msports.. where it feels like the one real piece of leather in the car. And I'm a fan of the thicker design. In fact I think all BMWs should have something more up to par with their msport designs. They don't match the interiors anymore. All the sportline and base model wheels feel very old and outdated. Especially the buttons in the center. Look like E36 buttons. But that's just me Everyone's different!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Interesting, I feel that the sportline wheel (grainy fake leather/rubbery plastic), feels extremely cheap and outdated. As opposed to the msports.. where it feels like the one real piece of leather in the car. And I'm a fan of the thicker design. In fact I think all BMWs should have something more up to par with their msport designs. They don't match the interiors anymore. All the sportline and base model wheels feel very old and outdated. Especially the buttons in the center. Look like E36 buttons. But that's just me Everyone's different!
Here's the difference (and cheers to different tastes!)...but they are both real leather...so pick your preference if you like graining or not on leather. Graining has usually conveyed a more refined leather, as it's a process which adds cost and raises price (usually). Hub styling is the major aesthetic difference...also a matter of taste. Honestly, neither one rises to "amazing" for me...they are both "ok", but it's just which feels better to your hands.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #18
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

I have Estoril Blue over black sensatec on my 228i. Your first choice of white over either coral red or saddle brown would be very nice. And classic.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

To me the main thing I would care about in the MSport package on the 228 is the thicker steering wheel and nicer leather on the wheel itself.

Could you change the rim on the standard wheel to be the thicker m-Sport wheel? I know some BMW models (the X4 comes to mind) have an MSport wheel that is just the thicker rim, and not the completely different design of the M235i wheel.

X4 MSport Wheel:

228i standard wheel:

Looks like the same rim style to me (silver trim aside).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

I haven't taken a tape measure to them, but I don't know that the MSport is actually thicker vs. Sportline. It seems to be just differently styled and with ungrained leather.

For me, this was a second time BMW got the price class step backwards on a product attribute. The base car came with body color mirrors, while the step up to Sportline changed the mirrors to black. I had to have them painted to get them back to bodycolor, which would seem to be the more premium treatment than plain black on all cars. But, BMW set this up the other way as well. I've never before seen grained leather as a less expensive treatment than smooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #21
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
I haven't taken a tape measure to them, but I don't know that the MSport is actually thicker vs. Sportline. It seems to be just differently styled and with ungrained leather.

For me, this was a second time BMW got the price class step backwards on a product attribute. The base car came with body color mirrors, while the step up to Sportline changed the mirrors to black. I had to have them painted to get them back to bodycolor, which would seem to be the more premium treatment than plain black on all cars. But, BMW set this up the other way as well. I've never before seen grained leather as a less expensive treatment than smooth.
The M-Sport wheel is definitely thicker! I was facing this decision when deciding on my 2-series too!

I actually convinced myself I liked the sportline version, and it ended up that I had to get the M-Sport wheel instead since there were no more sportlines.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #22
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo View Post
The M-Sport wheel is definitely thicker!
OK....I'm curious....I just went out to the garage and wrapped a tape measure around the 12 o'clock position of the Sportline wheel and got 4". What do you get on the MSport wheel at that same spot (not the thicker 10/2 thumbgrips)?
Appreciate 0