THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum First Time BMW/Convertible Owner

06-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
lilike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i Convertible

First Time BMW/Convertible Owner

Hello folks. I appreciate all your thoughtful replies to other writers... and I hope to get the same!

I am considering getting a 228i convertible. I struggle with these big decisions so would love all the input possible. By way of background, I have only ever driven a Hyundai Veracruz. I wish to get more compact, and have thoroughly enjoyed all my convertible experiences. Given that, I have a few questions.

1. This would be my only car, though I live in the South. Is the 228i capable of being a year round, all-conditions car for a single guy?

2. Which packages are essential? Which are nice? Which are wholly unnecessary?

3. I am not a driving enthusiast, I do not think. I enjoy driving, but know nothing about it, the parts and what have you. I appreciate the quality of the materials I have seen in the BMW i test drove... yet, is it a waste of money when I do not know if, as a novice, I could appreciate the better driving experience?

4. Sport version... should it be removed from contention given the above stated?

5. For those of you who have driven both sedans and convertibles... did you ever regret buying a convertible?

I would expect to own this car for 4 years, then resell once the warranty expired. I am 22 so it would hopefully coincide with a need for a bigger car.

If I missed any details that might be helpful, please ask. And, thank you in advance for your help. I ask in advance for forgiveness of my naivety... but I do hope to be joining you in the ranks of BMW owners if all works out well!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I'm picking our convertible up June 13. We can only buy the 220i as it's the only engine to come to New Zealand and comes with a 5 year warranty.

I added M Sport option, adaptive head lights with auto high beam and rear camera. I also added BMW's tow-bar so I can carry our bikes. I can also tow a trailer if needed and would be a requirement if your only car. You don't even know the car has a tow-bar when you remove the hitch.

The Sports seats are great and love the sports suspension which are on my 2015 1 series which will be the same on the 2 series.

Both our new cars are long term keepers at this stage the only car I would change may be would be the 1 series for a 4x4 if Jeep would replace the wrangler for a better built right hand drive wrangler but thats not until 2018.

Borrow BMW's demo convertible for a few days and the best time is now as demo's will be hard to find later once they sell the ones they have. Dealers don't sell many convertibles so tend to not have demo's sitting around.

Waiting for PD and delivery

Last edited by Kiwi; 06-04-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

1. This would be my only car, though I live in the South. Is the 228i capable of being a year round, all-conditions car for a single guy?

Im married with a 5 month old. The 2 series is my only car in Rhode Island, and we have real winters. (My wife does have a wagon though, but the baby goes in my car with all her baby gear all the time)

I also fit my 29er mt. bike inside no problem.

If you're into sporty driving, M Sport, or Sportline. Nothing else is really absolutely 100% necessary in my opinion.

3. I am not a driving enthusiast, I do not think. I enjoy driving, but know nothing about it, the parts and what have you. I appreciate the quality of the materials I have seen in the BMW i test drove... yet, is it a waste of money when I do not know if, as a novice, I could appreciate the better driving experience?

If you enjoy driving. Yes.

4. Sport version... should it be removed from contention given the above stated?

No, you mentioned you enjoy driving. The no line BMWs aren't sporty at all in my opinion.

5. For those of you who have driven both sedans and convertibles... did you ever regret buying a convertible?

No convertible here. But I do not miss the extra doors, even with a 5 month old. I see people getting inside their coupes to put the child seat in. There is enough room to not have to do this. It's 1 extra step, move the seat forward. No big deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post

Im married with a 5 month old. The 2 series is my only car in Rhode Island, and we have real winters. (My wife does have a wagon though, but the baby goes in my car with all her baby gear all the time)

I also fit my 29er mt. bike inside no problem.

If you're into sporty driving, M Sport, or Sportline. Nothing else is really absolutely 100% necessary in my opinion.

If you enjoy driving. Yes.

No, you mentioned you enjoy driving. The no line BMWs aren't sporty at all in my opinion.

No convertible here. But I do not miss the extra doors, even with a 5 month old. I see people getting inside their coupes to put the child seat in. There is enough room to not have to do this. It's 1 extra step, move the seat forward. No big deal.
If you are not going to track your car the no line is plenty fun to drive and just as quick as the sportline versions if not more quick due to smaller wheels. It just doesnt have the asthetic stuff to make it look like a ricer. The only think I covet on the sport versions is the sport seats which are now standard on the 2016s.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
First off you are going to be amazed at how well this car takes care of you. I also own a 228i Cab and just love it.

I live in Maryland and it gets very hot and muggy here, and I can tell you that I can keep the top down until we break 95 with humidity, then it's top up and AC on. Can't say about traction in the winter as I haven't got there yet, but I did opt for the all season Pirelli RFT's just in case.

I love the adaptive lights and find it very functional for me (I'm older) while driving at night. I also like the tech package and have the cold weather package with Steering Wheel heating. Driver assistance is nice for the backup camera as rear sight is limited due to the small window. I also enjoy the HK system, it's on the bright side but when the top is down it punches through nicely.

As for the sport version, personal preference. The M-Sport has a much lower stance in the front and you might scrape the bottom on curbs, which is why I went with the sportline. Both have the 10mm lowering with 18" wheels and I enjoyed this more then the base with 17"s...again, personal taste.

I drive with my top down every day unless its raining or below 50 degrees. I love the open feeling and sun on my face. I have never regretted any of my cabs, only the sedans I had in-between verts!

So, this was my 55th birthday present to me. Mother and I go for evening cruises almost every day as she is now totally addicted to the car and just loves the seats, which are now standard on all the 2016's I'm told. I plan on keeping it for a long time and I hope you enjoy your decision as much as I am.
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

1. Most likely, unless you need to carry big loads all the time. I think mine has plenty of room (but my last car was a Miata). The trunk is adequate, but not huge. You lose a bit of space to the convertible top, but you get a lot of it back with the top up. (But why would you put the top up?)

I live in Texas. In the Miata, my top was down year round if it was not raining or under 50. I expect it will be the same for the 2er--except with the top up it's easy to forget it's a ragtop. (which was _never_ the case in the Miata.)

2. None of the packages are essential. All are nice. I know that's no help, but it really depends on your tastes. I'm a gadget guy, so I have almost everything, and enjoy it all. (I'm missing the auto-high beams, and wish I had them :-) )

3 and 4: Test drive. If you like a stiffer suspension, go sport. If not, don't--although the adaptive suspension is really the best of both worlds. It both handles better and smooths out the bumps better than the static sport suspension in my wife's 2012 F30.

5. No regrets. (This is the 5th convertible that I've owned. And I grew up in my father's MGB and Fiat Spider.) The only potential downside I've found is that convertibles without serious static rollbars are frowned upon for track use.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #7
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
...except with the top up it's easy to forget it's a ragtop. (which was _never_ the case in the Miata.)

...(This is the 5th convertible that I've owned. And I grew up in my father's MGB and Fiat Spider.) The only potential downside I've found is that convertibles without serious static rollbars are frowned upon for track use.
I couldn't have said it better...and I grew up in an MGB and Fiat Spider!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #8
blitzjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Convertible

I am on my 4th Conv. I dont think I could go back to a restricted box. This is my first all-wheel drive..... I still own a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder for tough winter conditions anf trips to Home Depot.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Biggest reason to get Sport or M Sport is the sport seats. I've owned 16 BMW's and the basic seats are not nearly as nice as the sport seats.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
M Sport is a must if you're looking to add performance parts to improve the look and aerodynamics of the car. If you take the navigation package, you will get the latest state of the art system that has LTE Mobile network access and OTA Map updates. Currently, only the 2 series convertible has this new system for model year 2015. It will be mass rolled out with most of the 2016 model produced from July 2015.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
lilike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i Convertible

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies...

I have but two cars left to choose from. As this is a BMW post, I wonder if ya'll have experience with other cars for comparison purposes.

The other option is a used 2012 Audi S5 cabriolet. Has anyone owned one previously and could perhaps make a comparison? I understand I am spitballing, but am appreciative of any thoughts anyone might have. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Having owned the car in my sig below it was a blast. There's just nothing like it. The 2er will have much more room than the roadster for sure. Even with the top down I still had full use of the trunk. This is the reason why I don't like the hard tops. You tend to lose a lot of space in the trunk. Not a worry with the 2 vert though. If you decide to get any convertible make sure you invest in some good quality top cleaner/protectant. You don't want problems down the road with replacing the top. If the water isn't beading off of it then you will start to have issues. Oh and never use a hard bristle brush to clean the top. I used a shoe shine brush as it has soft horse hair bristles that won't damage the top fabric.

As for the S5, it's really up to the drive. It's a heavy car and you will feel the weight shift when you are driving. If you aren't doing any sort of sporty driving then I would go for that one given you want to pay a little extra in gas mileage lost and if it's used you have to deal with the cost of the repairs on a 60K+ new car. Audi does have better interiors IMHO.

Don't forget to wear a hat and keep some sun screen in the glove box. You don't want a seatbelt tan line.....ask me how I know. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #13
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

The easy answer between them both is the Audi is built for woman and the 2 is built for both woman and guys.
      06-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

This is my second convertible I had a 1998 323 convertible first. Its a great car and you are going to love it. I am a little older now so opt for some more options like technology package, winter package, x drive, and upgraded stereo. If I had to remove packages I could live without the technology package but since its my only driver car and live in new jersey I need x drive, heated seats so can put the top down when its cold and harmon kardon sound system due to when the top is down you need that extra volume.
      07-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
THX-333
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i Ragtop

I too just bought an M235 ragtop. Do yo mind me asking what you are using to clean and protect the SOFT TOP of your car?

Appreciate any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-333 View Post
I too just bought an M235 ragtop. Do yo mind me asking what you are using to clean and protect the SOFT TOP of your car?

Appreciate any advice.
303 Convertible top cleaner and fabric guard.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 01:53 AM   #17
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
I had a 135 convertible and when I got my m235 I went coupe. I have been regretting it ever since. I will be ordering the m235 xdrive next year and will be picking it up at the PDC in Spartanburg.
I drove the 135 convertible year round for almost five years in Wisconsin . I truly miss that car.
If you are in the south you will love it and get many more days of top down driving than I do up in the Midwest.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 02:05 AM   #18
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate any advice.

BMW has a cleaner and sealer which I used on my Z4 and it always looked clean. I use BMW products due to any warranty work later I can prove I used their recommend products.

When my new 2 series convertible goes in for it's first service which looks like it will be next year I'll ask them to clean and seal the top.

I always wash the car with a wash wax cleaner so it will not remove the fabric sealer.

Last edited by Kiwi; 07-11-2015 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #19
Smokester
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport 6MT MG

Great question. You're 22. I'm 60. So consider that when reading my answer. I have had the MG when I was 22. I also had a 2004 z4. Loved them both. If you are not a gear head you can skip the performance stuff. But the sport seats are awesome. The heated seats allow you to drive top down even in cold weather. The only practical disadvantages of a ragtop vs moonroof are that it cuts into trunk space and on long trips it can get tiring. When you get older your hairline will become an issue. But its a great car and you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #20
THX-333
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i Ragtop

Had the car 7 days here is Los Angeles. Top's been down 5 of those 7!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #21
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Quote:

Appreciate any advice.

BMW has a cleaner and sealer which I used on my Z4 and it always looked clean. I use BMW products due to any warranty work later I can prove I used their recommend products.

When my new 2 series convertible goes in for it's first service which looks like it will be next year I'll ask them to clean and seal the top.

I always wash the car with a wash wax cleaner so it will not remove the fabric sealer.
Been using the BMW fabric top product on my wife's 2005 Mini Convertible since she purchased it new in June 2005 and the top still looks 99.5% like it did the day she brought the car home. Car is garaged nightly, and we live in SC...Lots of heat and humidity.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #22
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokester View Post
Great question. You're 22. I'm 60. So consider that when reading my answer. I have had the MG when I was 22. I also had a 2004 z4. Loved them both. If you are not a gear head you can skip the performance stuff. But the sport seats are awesome. The heated seats allow you to drive top down even in cold weather. The only practical disadvantages of a ragtop vs moonroof are that it cuts into trunk space and on long trips it can get tiring. When you get older your hairline will become an issue. But its a great car and you will love it.
What hair line mine is gone but my young voice is still there so never lose your young voice in your head.

Moonroof again it's a sunroof for the sun not the moon
Appreciate 0