THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Hit too high RPM due to my error, and with oil temp. too low

08-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hit too high RPM due to my error, and with oil temp. too low

OK, so what happened today (and still makes me a little paranoid when I think about it - so please comfort me if you see it technically appropriate) is this: after I hit a mileage of 10,000 km which I consider high enough to treat my engine fully broken-in. OK,OK, I know; - I never babied this car since day one, but occasional rpm burst were short and never with the needle in the red zone of >6500 rpm, and above all: only with the oil in optimum temperature - so please do not derail this topic by starting discussion on breaking-in methods

I was busy (and must admit a little distracted) by my efforts to make all my devices connect and work properly for using some Android Apps (ranging from a simple and free 0-100 km/h accelerometer, through Torque to Dashcommand - and the devices were, as you already guessed: my phone, the ODB II BT dongle, and the XGPS160 10 Hz dual GPS receiver I use to make readings based on the GPS refresh speed more precise). Mind you - I have only just left my garage, and didn't make more than some 5 km with some additional time standing pulled out as I'm using a new Android smartphone that wan't paired to all the devices before; I was so busy doing it that I'm really unable to remember now how long it took altogether - one is for sure: good several minutes, and I never switched the engine even a single time... So I sincerely hope the oil temperature was still rising, but cannot be sure what exactly temperature it was at when IT happened:

- Instead of first running Torque Pro or DashCommand where I did define the oil temp. gauges, I wanted to check functionality of a new simple app I installed just today for GPS-based measurement of the 0-100 (0-60) time. All this far from routine activities made me forget about the oil temperature! I put my car in Sport+ mode (I have Sport defined as acting on both the chassis and drivetrain), made the new app ready, and pulled away at WOT!

Sorry for the long introduction - now I finally am going to say what worries me so much: the engine achieved its highest RPM so quickly that I didn't even have time to move my attention (and eyes) from the phone display to the tachometer, so I'm even unable to say whether it was 6,500 rpm or more... But it must have been more (luckily for jsu a second), because I can still here the unusual sound the engine made during that second. Of course I cannot describe it, but one thing is for sure: even though such short burst of max rpm did happen in this very car before, but:

- I never heard this sound when it happened
- ASAIR, at those previous occasions my stick was in D position so the 8AT upshifted in no time...

This time however, I was in Manual/Sport selector position... So, finally the question to all of you knowing the M235i in general, and the N55 engine in particular:

1. Considering the oil was maybe at some 60 C, could anything that would ruin my strategy of breaking-in this engine happen? I don't assume any direct damage, as things like this happen - for instance when a manual transmission user makes a mistake...

2. What do you think was this "unusual part" of engine noise I never heard before, even though I did hit the maximum RPM at WOT many times before (the difference being that my 8AT tranny upshifted immediately)? I'm hoping this has just been some turbo noise at WOT I never happened to hear before in this particular car - but I'm freaking at another possibility: to high RPM for the engine oil temperature What is the probability of the latter?

3. I learnt from my experience with the first generation GSM gearbox I had in my old good E46 330i that even in manual mode, the tranny WILL upshift in situations like this, just to protect the engine - but my today's experience would indicate it's NOT the case with the 8AT M235i. Can you confirm or deny this?

Sorry again for a long post, but - unless some of you guys comes in and say nothing really bad happened, I'm afraid I won't sleep well in the night... So please comment - and do not spare me, just say what your technical knowledge and experience with those engines tell you. TIA

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Declio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I had a lot of trouble understanding what exactly you were describing. Are you talking about the noise of a rev limiter? I find it really hard to believe that the car would allow you to "over-rev", especially in an 8AT configuration, even in sport/manual mode.

Did you trip any actual errors or engine codes? I think you are totally fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
OK, so what happened today (and still makes me a little paranoid when I think about it - so please comfort me if you see it technically appropriate) is this: after I hit a mileage of 10,000 km which I consider high enough to treat my engine fully broken-in. OK,OK, I know; - I never babied this car since day one, but occasional rpm burst were short and never with the needle in the red zone of >6500 rpm, and above all: only with the oil in optimum temperature - so please do not derail this topic by starting discussion on breaking-in methods

I was busy (and must admit a little distracted) by my efforts to make all my devices connect and work properly for using some Android Apps (ranging from a simple and free 0-100 km/h accelerometer, through Torque to Dashcommand - and the devices were, as you already guessed: my phone, the ODB II BT dongle, and the XGPS160 10 Hz dual GPS receiver I use to make readings based on the GPS refresh speed more precise). Mind you - I have only just left my garage, and didn't make more than some 5 km with some additional time standing pulled out as I'm using a new Android smartphone that wan't paired to all the devices before; I was so busy doing it that I'm really unable to remember now how long it took altogether - one is for sure: good several minutes, and I never switched the engine even a single time... So I sincerely hope the oil temperature was still rising, but cannot be sure what exactly temperature it was at when IT happened:

- Instead of first running Torque Pro or DashCommand where I did define the oil temp. gauges, I wanted to check functionality of a new simple app I installed just today for GPS-based measurement of the 0-100 (0-60) time. All this far from routine activities made me forget about the oil temperature! I put my car in Sport+ mode (I have Sport defined as acting on both the chassis and drivetrain), made the new app ready, and pulled away at WOT!

Sorry for the long introduction - now I finally am going to say what worries me so much: the engine achieved its highest RPM so quickly that I didn't even have time to move my attention (and eyes) from the phone display to the tachometer, so I'm even unable to say whether it was 6,500 rpm or more... But it must have been more (luckily for jsu a second), because I can still here the unusual sound the engine made during that second. Of course I cannot describe it, but one thing is for sure: even though such short burst of max rpm did happen in this very car before, but:

- I never heard this sound when it happened
- ASAIR, at those previous occasions my stick was in D position so the 8AT upshifted in no time...

This time however, I was in Manual/Sport selector position... So, finally the question to all of you knowing the M235i in general, and the N55 engine in particular:

1. Considering the oil was maybe at some 60 C, could anything that would ruin my strategy of breaking-in this engine happen? I don't assume any direct damage, as things like this happen - for instance when a manual transmission user makes a mistake...

2. What do you think was this "unusual part" of engine noise I never heard before, even though I did hit the maximum RPM at WOT many times before (the difference being that my 8AT tranny upshifted immediately)? I'm hoping this has just been some turbo noise at WOT I never happened to hear before in this particular car - but I'm freaking at another possibility: to high RPM for the engine oil temperature What is the probability of the latter?

3. I learnt from my experience with the first generation GSM gearbox I had in my old good E46 330i that even in manual mode, the tranny WILL upshift in situations like this, just to protect the engine - but my today's experience would indicate it's NOT the case with the 8AT M235i. Can you confirm or deny this?

Sorry again for a long post, but - unless some of you guys comes in and say nothing really bad happened, I'm afraid I won't sleep well in the night... So please comment - and do not spare me, just say what your technical knowledge and experience with those engines tell you. TIA

Piotr
If I'm reading your post correctly, I think you are fine. Not sure what your engine noise was, but I'm pretty sure you cannot over rev the N55 engine as there is a built in rev limiter to protect it. Unless something changed that is true with all BMW cars except the M's. Does the car run fine now, with no check engine lights? If you did engine damage you would know it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Thanks for the answer, and again sorry for the long post in far-from-good English. In spite of my complicated description, you understood perfectly my question - and basing on your answer I have a further question:

- does the rev limiter make any specific, additional noise, as your answer would suggest? If so, it must have been just that, and knowing it for sure would calm me down completely, so please confirm

PS. Oh, and there are no fault codes; if I was worried about a possible "damage" I only meant a long-term one.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

You hit the rev limiter and probably heard the engine de-rev for a second or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

The rev limiter is in place to do exactly that. Above a pre-determined RPM level, the car's electronics basically turn the engine off, so you're not able to run the engine at a higher (and likely self-destructive) speed (RPM).

When the limiter engages, it make a sound that, to me, reminds me of a mechanically operated machine gun... Sort of "Ack ack ack ack ack...".

I believe the OP did this.

There shouldn't be any issue or damage done. Lots of folks hit their rev limiters on tracks...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma
You hit the rev limiter and probably heard the engine de-rev for a second or two.
This. 8AT can hit limiter and won't automatically up shift in sport+ but won't over rev. You're totally fine, no harm done.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Thanks so much guys; not only did you help me stop worrying, but I learnt a couple of new things, too:

- that the ZF 8AT won't upshift for me in Sport+ (BTW is it Sport+ or the stick in the left position for Manual/Sport that's causing it?). Anywa, great in drifting and alike - it's me who actually decides which gear to use; my old GSM would upshift for me even in Manual mode!

- that the rev-limiter emits mechanical sounds (this is what I heard today, and scared the hell out of me)

Thanks again!

Last edited by moldcad; 08-29-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Slightly of-topic observation: unlike the re-limiter, the speed-limiter acts very gently in my car - with the speedo showing 260 km/h, I just start to feel it won't go faster even though from how it accelerated up to this point, I'm sure it could... Also note that it somehow considers the (normal) speedo error, and only triggers at the real 250 km/h...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Slightly of-topic observation: unlike the re-limiter, the speed-limiter acts very gently in my car - with the speedo showing 260 km/h, I just start to feel it won't go faster even though from how it accelerated up to this point, I'm sure it could... Also note that it somehow considers the (normal) speedo error, and only triggers at the real 250 km/h...
I felt it was to some degree the comparitively small frontal area that enabled such good high speed gain. A pair of those tucked in tiny side view mirrors would kill on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

In regards to oil temperature not being at operating temperature; you have to be patient. I have this fantasy that European cars, European performance cars at least, are very finicky and may even have a self destruct mechanism if you bag on it with out proper warm up.

I've seen a person, who appeared to be in a hurry in, go near WOT on a cold engine. I wouldn't be surprised that amg-badged Mercedes will require extra servicing.

My optometrist once complained about the cost to fix the "check engine" light immediately after the warranty ran out. I told him, that model should have been fairly reliable and then the only thing that made sense was asking if he bagged on it before proper warm up. His expression was priceless. Wouldn't be surprised if his prissy daughter or preppy son did that in the dead of winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #12
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

The story reminds me of my old (rotary engine) Mazda RX7.

That engine was so smooth at high RPM and would hit redline in 1st gear so quickly that I over-revved it more times than I care to admit :-)

There were no rev limiters in those days. As you approached red line you would hear a loud BEEEEP and a red warning light in the tach ENGINE OVERSPEED would light up.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Thanks so much guys; not only did you help me stop worrying, but I learnt a couple of new things, too:

- that the ZF 8AT won't upshift for me in Sport+ (BTW is it Sport+ or the stick in the left position for Manual/Sport that's causing it?).
It's M/S mode that does it.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

Quick question - I don't remember seeing oil temp gauge on these cars. Is the phone app the only way to check the damn temp? Or is it available in iDrive?
      08-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Quick question - I don't remember seeing oil temp gauge on these cars. Is the phone app the only way to check the damn temp? Or is it available in iDrive?
Do a search for M235 Secret Menu

Last edited by overcoil; 08-29-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

As others have posted, you are fine, for 2 reasons.
The sound you heard was probably the rev limiter, the ecu is far smarter than we are and will do its best to protect the engine from our errors.

And 2 if the oil temp was 60 you are fine. Not ideal (probably 80s would be the target) but warm enough.

If you want to see what the sound was, warm the car properly and try to overrev it again, you wont damage the engine and will be able to confirm it was the sound you heard.
Cheers
Craig.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #17
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

What did it sound like? I've over revved mine a bit at the track and it sounded "jingly". Kind of like the beginning of that Pink Floyd song Time when all the clocks start going off. Not that loud, but it is distinct. Like a lot of little metal moving parts suddenly going wild. It did not feel or sound like the rev limiter on any other car I've owned.
      08-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #18
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro
What did it sound like? I've over revved mine a bit at the track and it sounded "jingly". Kind of like the beginning of that Pink Floyd song Time when all the clocks start going off. Not that loud, but it is distinct. Like a lot of little metal moving parts suddenly going wild. It did not feel or sound like the rev limiter on any other car I've owned.
People hear things and describe them in different ways, but I would definitely say pegging t
he rev limiter sounds nothing like any Pink Floyd song that I'm familiar with...or a group of alarm clocks going off simultaneously.

Although, in a way, it is an excellent "wake up" call for the driver...

To me, it sounds much more like an extremely loud "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRP"...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:57 AM   #19
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
It's M/S mode that does it.
So I'd think; after all it's the stick or paddles that put the car into manual (just like in my old SMG box I had in the E46 330i), in any driving mode (even Comfort) that the M235i offers. The great difference being that in my E46, even in manual mode, the SMG would upshift in this situation . BTW, it made drifting very difficult and unpredictable, as - should the RPM reach the red line - the car would change the gear totally changing the dynamics of the car in drift... BUT let me say this: BMW are putting all sort of stupid & ugly stickers with reminders and warnings all over their cars - why no information like "In manual shifting mode, the transmission will not upshift at the red line"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Do a search for M235 Secret Menu
Ironically enough, I was just going to put my DashCommand to work for this very purpose (to check the oil temperature before trying my car 0-100 acceleration, perhaps also the Launch Control); I was unfortunate in that I had replaced my phone since the last time I used the App, so it wouldn't pair or connect automatically with my BT dongle... Being impatient and (initially) confused with what's wrong, I WOTed the car before making DashCommand work and making sure what the oil temp. actually was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
As others have posted, you are fine, for 2 reasons.
The sound you heard was probably the rev limiter, the ecu is far smarter than we are and will do its best to protect the engine from our errors.

And 2 if the oil temp was 60 you are fine. Not ideal (probably 80s would be the target) but warm enough.

If you want to see what the sound was, warm the car properly and try to overrev it again, you wont damage the engine and will be able to confirm it was the sound you heard.
Cheers
Craig.
Thanks Craig for comforting me. I guess I won't be experimenting like this, though I suppose with my driving style, it may happen again before I adopt new reflexes and start driving the car in manual like... well, like a proper manual car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
People hear things and describe them in different ways, but I would definitely say pegging t
he rev limiter sounds nothing like any Pink Floyd song that I'm familiar with...or a group of alarm clocks going off simultaneously.

Although, in a way, it is an excellent "wake up" call for the driver...

To me, it sounds much more like an extremely loud "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRP"...
Exactly, the rattling was loud and fast - reminded me of short series from automatic gun...

Well - as you see guys, this really was a serious lesson for me. I will be on guard from now on, as I now know for sure the M235i will not shift for me at redline (which is a good thing, BTW - just needs some getting used to). During my 44 years of driving (with some autocrossing, or "rallying" as we call it in Poland; BTW- is it the same thing in American English?), I always was driving very fast but at the same time was extremely pedantic about my cars' well-being - so I hope you understand my concern after what happened yesterday. I'm very grateful for explaining to me what it was Just a couple of thoughts to end the topic:

- I wonder whether my BMW Dealer is aware that M235i Manual mode is 100% manual

- I must admit to you guys I did kill one good engine manya years ago (the recollection of which also added to my fear yesterday). It happened back in the late 70s; It was a 2-litre engine from the Fiat 132 which I put into the body of my Fiat 125p (a Polish-made car with the body of the 125 Italian model, but a very outdated 1500 ccm engine from the Italian Fiat 1500). I remember my pride after the engine swap done all by myself (I was 23 then, and sourcing an original Italian engine in the communist Poland was a greater achievement than actually swapping the engine itself - even though the new engine was just some 120 PS (the stock 1500 ccm engine was just 75 PS) - of course I was at WOT all the time, and soon I started hearing a very distinct change in sound in and shortly after all sharp & fast corners. I had no idea what it could be until the oil pressure light came on me after one of such corners... Then I realized the sump was not protected against the lateral forces I produced, and oil was running wild all over the place; the result being a premature engine restoration (all crankshaft bearings were ruined). My sensitivity to all an any unusual engine noise got even higher after that incident. The difference with my current N55 motor is that any repair just after warranty period could be too expensive for me to swallow - hence the panic I felt...

- I must check whether my Golf 7 R behaves the same way when its double-clutch gearbox is in manual! Does anyone know by chance? Asking, as the VW Dealer people have no slightest idea...
-------------

So again, just to be 100% sure and able to get rid of any worries: what happened was normal, and in no way did it jeopardize my carefully and methodically broken-in engine - even in long-term (like the future oil consumption and the maximum life expectancy), right?

Last edited by moldcad; 08-30-2015 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #20
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

Quote:

- I must check whether my Golf 7 R behaves the same way when its double-clutch gearbox is in manual! Does anyone know by chance? Asking, as the VW Dealer people have no slightest idea...
If it's the same as a MK6 DSG and I'm 99% it's, in M mode it'll upshift at redline by itself. You need the TCU DSG tune to change it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
So again, just to be 100% sure and able to get rid of any worries: what happened was normal, and in no way did it jeopardize my carefully and methodically broken-in engine - even in long-term (like the future oil consumption and the maximum life expectancy), right?

If your car does it, it is normal. You're in an automatic. That means AUTO-MATIC. Car decides what to do. By definition the car decides to do what is NORMAL.

Why do people over worry so much... car technology, engine, etc. is very modern today. It's like eating red meat occasionally. You could probably measure the days it is taking away off of your end of life... but in a car you almost never even reach it, and those that do, can't tell losing a small portion of a long life anyways.
      08-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

These cars rev WELL into the 7,000 RPM range before engine wear happens. Redline is not so much to protect engine components as it is a timing device so when you upshift you're back in the power band.

I can't find the exact figure on the max spinning speed of the N55 but I remember M54's go something like 7400-7600 RPM - a far cry from their 6500-6800 RPM redline.

Haven't you ever watched drifting? They bounce their cars off their limiters all day long.
Appreciate 0