THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Which mount for my secondary phone (LG G3 S)?

08-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Which mount for my secondary phone (LG G3 S)?

I got tempted by an on-line shop with a CD-slot smartphone mount with a nice photo of that very mount in the M235i cockpit. Unfortunately, it's a total failure - not sure if it's this specific model's fault, or the CD-slot plate in our cars is just too thin and flimsy; anyway the phone is unstable, and the said plate gets deflected so much I'm sure it would brake sooner than later.

What kind of a phone mount do you guys advise for the M235i? I always have 2 smartphones with me (and need to, for specific reasons) - the iPhone is usually inside the Media NBT cradle and the Android phone in my pocket or notebook bag. However, sometimes - when I want to use Android apps like Torque Pro or DashCommand - I need my 137g LG G3 S visible and fixed in a solid mount...

PS. Windshield-suction mounts aside, does anyone use the air-vent type, and with what results?
Attached Images

Last edited by moldcad; 08-29-2015 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

Are you using Mountek cd mount? I have them in all my cars. Works amazing. Best mount you can get if you dont use your cd slot
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

No, mine is not Mountek -- a no-name, I guess. But when I compare the on-line photos, they look virtually the same - the rubber-reinforced, metal insertion blades in particular (which are responsible for how solid the fix is). Well - I guess my 2015 M235i's CD slot plate is just too flimsy... Doesn't the Mountek deflect your M235i's CD slot too much under the weight of the phone, and is the phone stable?

With regards to other "innovative" (i.e. no windshield suction) designs, I came across what looks strange due to a very long arm, but might be interesting solution as it is inserted and secured in the cigarette lighter socket; what do you think?
Attached Images

my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 02:51 AM   #4
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Anyone? Do you really find those CD--slot mounts stable in your M235i? And how about the lighter socket design - anyone tried?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Belkin cup holder mount
Attached Images

08-31-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Belkin cup holder mount
I use the magnetic vent clip for my car, I like to have my phone higher so I don't look down when I'm driving. Here's a link to an example, they're very inexpensive too:

http://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Univer...559HHZBKTNV28N
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp260 View Post
I use the magnetic vent clip for my car, I like to have my phone higher so I don't look down when I'm driving. Here's a link to an example, they're very inexpensive too:

http://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Univer...559HHZBKTNV28N
I've wanted to try one of these. My only concern is will the phone stay on at wot or taking a corner quickly?

I'd like to do it with a metal plate under the phone case. I just didn't know if it'd be strong enough. (Galaxy s6 w/thin case)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
I have a few of the vent clip universal grip type ones that i keep in the glove box of all my cars. Cheap ( like 20 dollars), look good and hold the phone securely.

The main problem with vent clip type is that if you have the heat on and are charging your phone + using GPS you can quite easily overheat your phone. I have had the same issue happen with windshield mounts in the summer though even with AC on. Obviously if you have the AC on this isn't a problem over a vent ( you might be surprised by how cold the phone gets though!). If you can turn off the vent in question it becomes a non issue though.

I bought all of mine at the apple store, work with phones in cases, other phones etc. Way better than the hundreds of dollars in form fitting mounts with built in charging etc that because obsolete after i got a new phone.

TomTom GPS Boost car kit. I'm talking to you
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I've wanted to try one of these. My only concern is will the phone stay on at wot or taking a corner quickly?

I'd like to do it with a metal plate under the phone case. I just didn't know if it'd be strong enough. (Galaxy s6 w/thin case)
I had my doubts at first too, but the magnet is DEFINITELY strong enough to keep your phone in place. My phone has never fallen off before during driving/bumps/turns/etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
kmusk01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

This is the mount I bought and LOVE it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

It holds my Note3 with no issues. I then bought a small 6" USB cable to plug in from cigarette lighter to phone.

Ken~
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Belkin cup holder mount
Link, please?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusk01 View Post
This is the mount I bought and LOVE it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

It holds my Note3 with no issues. I then bought a small 6" USB cable to plug in from cigarette lighter to phone.

Ken~
Doesn't it rock up and down like mine, to the extend of falling off the slot?!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any tricks for snaking charge cable behind trim?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Link, please?
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Car-Hol.../dp/B00NL7GTXG
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #15
timmyzai
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I have the Belkin one too. Bought from Apple online shop
I use it with my 6+. Very happy with it!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #16
kmusk01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Doesn't it rock up and down like mine, to the extend of falling off the slot?!!
Nope its sturdy. There are rubber feet that come with it, and a dial on the bottom to tighten it up inside the cd slot. It says you can still play cd's with this installed, but I don't own a single cd, so can't test.

The nice thing about this mount is that you can quickly turn your phone vertical or horizontal depending on what you are doing. Also there is room to slide the holder in the cd slot to the left or right. I have mine slide all the way to passenger side, allowing me easy access to the 1,2,3 buttons which I have pre programmed.

I will try an get a pic for you today.

Ken~
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
kmusk01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but here is the one I have:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2008.49.23.jpg

Ken~
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125
Anyone have any tricks for snaking charge cable behind trim?
It's pretty darned easy -- if you have the right tools -- and you don't need to remove anything major.

I've routed a 6-foot Lightning-to-USB cable from the USB input in the center armrest to the steering column's lower cowl, which has a lip under which the Lightning lead tucks away nicely and which has a few small eyelet holes -- one of which I've used a zip tie on to keep the lead handy.

The simple part is tucking the cable under the left side of the center console. The slighly more involved part is routing the lightning lead upward behind the center dash, which has gobs of space. Remove the leg pad (it just pops off), then use a twist tie or mounting putty to fasten the Lightning lead to something long, flat, and stiff (I used a band saw blade, which has holes in either end for the twist tie.) Stick the blade/lead underneath the center console lip below where the knee pad mounts, and push up. Look for the blade/lead through the steering column lower cowl opening. Using a screw claw (a long, flexible, spring-loaded tool for grabbing small objects in unreachable places -- every mechanic should have one), grab the lead off the blade and pull it through the lower cowl.

You can route the USB lead up and under the center armrest lid parallel to the seat so that the lead isn't visible. For a totally stealth look, I used a trim tool to pop out the tray that holds the USB/Aux jacks, unplugged the jacks and removed the jack fitting, and used a Dremel to carve a hole just big enough for the cable into one side of the opening for the jack fitting. Reassemble with the USB lead routed beneath the console, then in that hole, and you're done.

Now, when I need/want my iPhone 6+ on the dash, I use a Kenu Airframe+ (see Killramos' post above) and the 6-foot lead. When I want my phone out of sight, I just use an 8-inch Lightning-to-USB cable and keep the phone in the center armrest.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #20
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
It's pretty darned easy -- if you have the right tools -- and you don't need to remove anything major.

I've routed a 6-foot Lightning-to-USB cable from the USB input in the center armrest to the steering column's lower cowl, which has a lip under which the Lightning lead tucks away nicely and which has a few small eyelet holes -- one of which I've used a zip tie on to keep the lead handy.

The simple part is tucking the cable under the left side of the center console. The slighly more involved part is routing the lightning lead upward behind the center dash, which has gobs of space. Remove the leg pad (it just pops off), then use a twist tie or mounting putty to fasten the Lightning lead to something long, flat, and stiff (I used a band saw blade, which has holes in either end for the twist tie.) Stick the blade/lead underneath the center console lip below where the knee pad mounts, and push up. Look for the blade/lead through the steering column lower cowl opening. Using a screw claw (a long, flexible, spring-loaded tool for grabbing small objects in unreachable places -- every mechanic should have one), grab the lead off the blade and pull it through the lower cowl.

You can route the USB lead up and under the center armrest lid parallel to the seat so that the lead isn't visible. For a totally stealth look, I used a trim tool to pop out the tray that holds the USB/Aux jacks, unplugged the jacks and removed the jack fitting, and used a Dremel to carve a hole just big enough for the cable into one side of the opening for the jack fitting. Reassemble with the USB lead routed beneath the console, then in that hole, and you're done.

Now, when I need/want my iPhone 6+ on the dash, I use a Kenu Airframe+ (see Killramos' post above) and the 6-foot lead. When I want my phone out of sight, I just use an 8-inch Lightning-to-USB cable and keep the phone in the center armrest.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will try all of that once I decide on a mount.

I just purchased one of those magnet mounts for less than $10 bucks on amazon. I think it works great, the only thing is it freezes my phone now with the AC, and I know it will be melting in the winter. I Do not want to give up the vent so I am trying to think of an alternative.

The next mount I try will be a custom one. I plan on popping that triangle like cover off on the left side of the steering wheel. I believe this is where the tweeter is located on the HK sound packages. Behind this cover there are a couple bolts. I plan on taking a light gauge piece of aluminum, almost like a car door Jimmy, and fixing it under one of these bolts. Then I will do a couple bends in it so that it conforms to the plastic triangle cover. Then I will install the magnetic face on the end of that piece of aluminum coming out.

This way I can design something sleek. Either brushed aluminum or gloss black painted that will hold my phone exactly where I want out of the way. And not take up any vent space.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #21
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

OK, boys & girls - I replaced the CD-slot mounted thingy with a cupholder-mounted one, and can even use my old and bulgy Samsung Galaxy tab with DashCommand or Torque Pro gauges clearly displayed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0