THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Deciding btwn 228 vs 235

08-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #111
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
And I assume that's at the flywheel?
The Dinan testing process for actual HP & Torque numbers is a fairly sophisticated and complex process and is detailed in the Dynamometer Testing and The Modern BMW Engine section (click on "Study It" - free to read) on the online Dinan® University (see url below).

http://www.dinancars.com/dinan-university/
      08-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #112
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot1050 View Post
That doesn't sound frustratingly miserable to do for ten hours at all
Lol I hear ya. Although I did do it. (For about 10 hours too) you get used to it. If you have an auto a good option would be to just go from gear 8 to 7. But yeah not optimal to make the drive I agree
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #113
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

I believe Dinan is far ahead of most other "tuners" (I mean, branders of the Chinese-made, all-nearly-the-same, piggy-box solutions like Racechip, Speedbuster etc.) - were they not, BMW NA would never enter the kind of partnership regarding warranty etc. with them. That said, you hopefully don't believe BMW have sold (or otherwise made available) to Dinan all the tricks of trade re: how the F-series ECUs work?!!

I for one don't, hence my (financially very painful, as my F10 N20 528xi has taken the lion part of it long-term depreciation hit in its first 2 years of life) decision to trade it in towards my M235i. I'm over 60 - this car is indeed so good I'm going to keep it for longer than my lease terms; it might as well be my last BMW car - who knows? For all those reasons, and after somewhat nervous and frustrating trial and error period of testing various solutions on the N20 - I sleep much better at night now and look forward every opportunity to drive my M235i. It's still 100% stock (well - LSD is the only thing I added), and it's gonna stay that way, I can promise you that!

Back to the subject: even using an Android app like Torque Pro or DashCommand, you must make various assumptions if you want them to display the hp and torque at the wheels - it's tricky and error prone, but doable (all the numbers - like the actual weight of the car, tire size, or drag coefficient and area can be sourced and entered; the app will do the math for you). However, when it comes to the flywheel - it really becomes a guesswork! What the total drivetrain loss is? What is the actual value of brake-specific fuel consumption? BMW only knows, and will never tell you... The morale being: unless you take the engine out of your car for each measurement, forget about hp or tq values at the flywheel!
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #114
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinghacker View Post
We didn't wrap up until 3:00 in the afternoon so we weren't interested in trying to drive through straight.

We were going to take US 276 up to the Blue Ridge Parkway then over to Asheville, NC for dinner. We were running behind after a stop in Greenville and took a cut-off from 276 to Asheville. US 276 was beautiful over the mountain though,

After dinner in Asheville, we made it to Johnson City, TN before stopping for the evening.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0