THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Getting an allocation

10-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

Getting an allocation

I am hoping to order an M235 this week. Will they be able to tell me the allocation week? (Or how do you know you are even in the queue?) I am not in a rush. March/April works as long as I know it will happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturdad View Post
I am hoping to order an M235 this week. Will they be able to tell me the allocation week? (Or how do you know you are even in the queue?) I am not in a rush. March/April works as long as I know it will happen.

I just ordered a M235 on saturday and already have production date of next monday 10/26 , I believe each dealer has different numbers of allocations but I could be wrong , Im expecting my car to be delivered Late November the earliest and early to mid December most likely. The car its self should be done next week , the longest part is the Transportation, namely when it waits to get onto the cargo ship which can take up to two week i've heard

I hope its good news to you , because you'll definitely have it before march/april
if your dealer has an allocation available
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
I just ordered a M235 on saturday and already have production date of next monday 10/26 , I believe each dealer has different numbers of allocations but I could be wrong , Im expecting my car to be delivered Late November the earliest and early to mid December most likely. The car its self should be done next week , the longest part is the Transportation, namely when it waits to get onto the cargo ship which can take up to two week i've heard

I hope its good news to you , because you'll definitely have it before march/april
if your dealer has an allocation available
Thanks. I am fine waiting. In fact March works better for me. I just don't want to order it and then have them "forget" to order it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

If a stealer (not a typo) mentions the word "allocation" to you, you are being played. There is no more shortage on these cars. Stealer orders are being filled at the factory within several weeks. The stealers would love you to believe that they are doing you a favor by getting you a car. It's not unusual for stealers to tell their salespeople that there are shortages on cars when there is really not. What nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
ConstantMotion
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

You don't have an order until the dealer gives you a production number. Simple as that. Dealers can't get a production number until they have an allocation to reserve in your name. Once they have an allocation and reserve it in your name (under the dealer's vehicle orders) BMW will give the dealer the production number. You can then enter the production number on an account you set up on bmwusa.com and track progress. The VIN comes shortly before the vehicle is produced in Leipzig.

I wouldn't let the dealer jack you around saying anything like "it's in our order book." That means nothing and at best, maybe, means you are in line for a future allocation against which the dealer can order and get a production number. I also wouldn't tell them you're willing to wait. You'll just get pushed down the line. They'll take higher gross orders ahead of yours and give the allocation to someone else. Maybe you'll never get a car actually ordered.

Insist on the production number to get the car produced or start your order process later when you're really ready.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Nothing is given to you until the dealer sends in the information from there you will get a production number and that is how you track your vehicle. The worst thing you can say is that you can wait until March/April.

They will push your papers aside and work with people who want a car right now so they get their cars first and the dealership gets their money. The dealerships want to get paid and if it comes down to selling cars right now or in the next 6-8 as apposed to the next 6-8 months they are going to take the weeks of course.

Just go order the car put down your down payment and start the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantMotion View Post
You don't have an order until the dealer gives you a production number. Simple as that. Dealers can't get a production number until they have an allocation to reserve in your name. Once they have an allocation and reserve it in your name (under the dealer's vehicle orders) BMW will give the dealer the production number. You can then enter the production number on an account you set up on bmwusa.com and track progress. The VIN comes shortly before the vehicle is produced in Leipzig.

I wouldn't let the dealer jack you around saying anything like "it's in our order book." That means nothing and at best, maybe, means you are in line for a future allocation against which the dealer can order and get a production number. I also wouldn't tell them you're willing to wait. You'll just get pushed down the line. They'll take higher gross orders ahead of yours and give the allocation to someone else. Maybe you'll never get a car actually ordered.

Insist on the production number to get the car produced or start your order process later when you're really ready.
All correct, except why would any dealer be waiting to order any 2 series at this point? Are you saying that dealers can't order all the cars they want now? Each of the dealers in my area have cars on their lots ready for immediate delivery, and if a buyer needs to factory order to get a car equipped the way he/she wants, they will have a production number from the factory with one or two business days after placing an order.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
All correct, except why would any dealer be waiting to order any 2 series at this point? Are you saying that dealers can't order all the cars they want now? Each of the dealers in my area have cars on their lots ready for immediate delivery, and if a buyer needs to factory order to get a car equipped the way he/she wants, they will have a production number from the factory with one or two business days after placing an order.
Agreed. The 2 series is not the highest requested car right now from BMW and when I went into Rallye BMW on LI they had one 228i to test drive, I liked it and sat down with my CA and we went over everything I wanted I ordered the car and 2 hours later I got a email with a production number.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
Agreed. The 2 series is not the highest requested car right now from BMW and when I went into Rallye BMW on LI they had one 228i to test drive, I liked it and sat down with my CA and we went over everything I wanted I ordered the car and 2 hours later I got a email with a production number.
Funny, I was at Ralleye late yesterday as I was out on LI on business. They have three 228's in stock, but no 235's right now. They said they have several in transit.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When I went they had 1 228 and no 235s but my CA told me Saturday when I picked up my 228 that all of a sudden they have been in higher demand. Good to know I might see more on LI now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
ConstantMotion
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Agree other than here in California both 228i and M235's are in short supply. I estimate dealers only get allocated 2-4 F22's per month and they are eaten up with specific customer orders or ED cars. Out here you take what's left over or you order or you take ED.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
When I went they had 1 228 and no 235s but my CA told me Saturday when I picked up my 228 that all of a sudden they have been in higher demand. Good to know I might see more on LI now.
Who knows. One thing I've learned again and again is not to rely on what car dealers tell you. They even lie to their salespeople, so that even if you are dealing with an honest salesperson, the info they give you may be unreliable. The last time I was shopping for a car the salesperson at one of the BMW dealers claimed that they would not be able to give me any discount because the model I was interested in was extremely difficult to get. When I returned to that dealership the following week, I asked to see what a particular color looked like on a real car, and he forgot what he had told me the previous week. He drove me over to a nearby storage lot, and they had 11 cars in stock of the model I was interested in. Will never forget that.
Appreciate 0