THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Xdrive vs RWD

04-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #45
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
I got M240 xdrive with PSS. I am not sure if I want to get winter wheel/tire set.
Being in Chicago, there is no hill. So awd with good all season works ok.
(At least you don't get stuck in the snow at a stop light. Stopping or steering won't be a problem because I drive super slow when it snows anyway)

Have anyone seen test for winter vs all season tire on cold dry surface/ambient?
If winter tire makes big difference even in dry surface, I may get separate winter set.
Dude, the PSS is NOT an all season tire. It's a dedicated summer tire and will be downright dangerous just in the cold, forget about bad weather and precipitation. Since it's flat in Chicago you can get away with a max performance winter tire, but you should not under any circumstances drive the PSS when it's regularly below freezing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #46
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Ya the "hurr my car is faster on paper" argument can only go so far. There are benefits and downsides to both set ups, and to say absolutely one is better then the other is just ignorant, or the person is trolling.

Pretty much.

el oh el I troll uuuu xD
Never said one was better than the other lol - You seem to be having a very difficult time accepting the facts here, Professionals who have tested the cars show that the auto is faster. Accept it and move on.
      04-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #47
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Never said one was better than the other lol - You seem to be having a very difficult time accepting the facts here, Professionals who have tested the cars show that the auto is faster. Accept it and move on.
You can't seem to differentiate between real world use and professional testing, as most bench racers can't. Ya the auto is faster in a straight line, but when it comes to actually driving, this may shock you, but some of us actually don't care about half a second on our 0-60 times. Sometimes its about the driving, not numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #48
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato
Quote:
You can't seem to differentiate between real world use and professional testing, as most bench racers can't. Ya the auto is faster in a straight line, but when it comes to actually driving, this may shock you, but some of us actually don't care about half a second on our 0-60 times. Sometimes its about the driving, not numbers.
: Most people arent on a track and you couldnt beat an equal driver on the track either. Sorry.
      04-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #49
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Dude, the PSS is NOT an all season tire. It's a dedicated summer tire and will be downright dangerous just in the cold, forget about bad weather and precipitation. Since it's flat in Chicago you can get away with a max performance winter tire, but you should not under any circumstances drive the PSS when it's regularly below freezing.
I am planning to change it to DWS 06 before the winter. (If I don't get the winter set)
Couple of AutoX will wear out PSS pretty good before the winter.

Question is that if it is worth to get a set of winter tire/wheel.

If there is a big difference in dry grip in cold weather, I may get a dedicated winter set. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal with all season in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #50
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
: Most people arent on a track and you couldnt beat an equal driver on the track either. Sorry.
Dank troll post my guy. I'm not taking this bait.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #51
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

I daily drive my 235 RWD in Minneapolis. I have really good snow tires, and a little bit of common sense, and I get around just fine. With that being said, it snows a lot here but being in the cities, they clear it quickly with plows and salt. I don't drive through snow too often relatively speaking. But the days that snow is on the pavement, I really do miss my Toyota 4Runner that had 4WD.

I think of it like this: You're only really sacrificing acceleration in the snow with RWD, after you accelerate from a stop most of the turning ability is up to your tires, not the AWD (unless your Mario Andretti on the streets and drive hella aggressive).
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #52
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Trolling? I'm educating you.
      04-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #53
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Trolling? I'm educating you.
You're not providing new info, just repeating general knowledge which is the only argument you have in favor of the auto version. Cool story.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #54
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am planning to change it to DWS 06 before the winter. (If I don't get the winter set)
Couple of AutoX will wear out PSS pretty good before the winter.

Question is that if it is worth to get a set of winter tire/wheel.

If there is a big difference in dry grip in cold weather, I may get a dedicated winter set. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal with all season in Chicago.
If you only want one set of rims / tires than all season will be fine where you are assuming you aren't an ER doc or something and can stay home if it's really shitty and use half an ounce of common sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #55
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
......Have anyone seen test for winter vs all season tire on cold dry surface/ambient?
If winter tire makes big difference even in dry surface, I may get separate winter set.
Tire Rack has done this several times, comparing all-season's to pure winter tires; results should still be available on their site. Winter tires win, no question they have massively better grip for braking and steering, and summer tires suck in the cold.

Any hi-po summer tires will go to hell in the cold - usually 40 degrees is the stated temp, below that they can chunk/crack, and have a consistency much like a hockey puck. Don't try to run them in the winter temps, snow or not - even if you survive, the very expensive tires will not. If you don't get snow, just cold, then hi-perf winter tires or hi perf all-seasons may work well, but all-seasons won't be as good for summer fun. To me, in most areas it makes sense to have a dedicated winter set - what is the point of spending 40-50k on a performance car, and then not put proper tires on it - like an Olympic sprinter lining up for the race in après-ski boots. They also make for a simple, if bulky spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #56
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I went xdrive because I like the 'on rails' experience, plus with a JB4 even with fatter tires my car sometimes fails to hook properly when I go for a hard launch. The RWD model I tested was even more slippery.

Maybe if this car came with 275's at the back OEM I'd have gone RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #57
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're not providing new info, just repeating general knowledge which is the only argument you have in favor of the auto version. Cool story.
I told you from the beginning my preference based on seasonal driving, which so happened to be your exact same reason for RWD. I told you from the beginning I wasn't looking for an argument and stated opinions of the popular on BOTH sides. I never stated one was better than the other. I stated a fact, One of which you have had trouble accepting. I think you finally understand that the auto is faster, no matter how you want to twist out of it. I haven't offered another argument as I wasn't looking for one as no one wins here except the auto vs manual in terms of fact based speed tests. Cool Story bro!

Last edited by M235iguy; 04-17-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #58
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Quote:
Whats your agreement here lol

Its all facts 1. AWD with proper tires would be abit safer in snow, less chances of getting stuck 2. AWD and Auto are faster due to grip from stand still and due to faster shifting, easier to drive . 1. RWD and manual are just more fun to drive since its YOU who actually drives the car not electronics etc, AWD and RWD are equally fast from 5mph roll and in corners but RWD is more challenging. (with the exception of small weight penalty on Xdrive)

PS. I always wanted the fastest and the best handling.....but then I realized, I dont compete on track, I dont drag race, I usually dont launch my car from lights, and all snow here gets cleaned within hours. I actually prefer to stay home and avoid driving in salt and potentially get hit by some AWD SUV drivers on all-season tires. Who knows someday and maybe even next car will be AWD and Auto.....you get older and you care less about throwing you back out and shifting through gears
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #59
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
use half an ounce of common sense.
I think this is the key. (more than winter tire vs awd)
At least in the U.S., driver license is way too easy to get and too many stupid drivers are out there.

I have seen many drivers using winter tire SPEEDING on the snowy road.
Many of them ended in ditch. use the common sense. slow down if the condition is bad.

90% of the.time, it's the driver. not the tire or awd.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #60
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this is the key. (more than winter tire vs awd)
At least in the U.S., driver license is way too easy to get and too many stupid drivers are out there.

I have seen many drivers using winter tire SPEEDING on the snowy road.
Many of them ended in ditch. use the common sense. slow down if the condition is bad.

90% of the.time, it's the driver. not the tire or awd.
Chicago you have 2 huge benefits that cannot be undersold. First, it's flat so that eliminates a ton of problems dealing with hills in places like the Northeast. Second, Chicago gets snow and actually knows how to deal with it. Compare that to someplace that gets snow less often and has generally better winter weather but the infrastructure is not in place to deal with it. So in Philly for example you need winter tires and xDrive since every time it snows even a tiny bit the road crews are like what is this white stuff falling from the sky and there are hills to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #61
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Just a FYI guys, PSS crack when its around 30 degrees.
      04-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #62
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Tire Rack has done this several times, comparing all-season's to pure winter tires; results should still be available on their site. Winter tires win, no question they have massively better grip for braking and steering, and summer tires suck in the cold.

Any hi-po summer tires will go to hell in the cold - usually 40 degrees is the stated temp, below that they can chunk/crack, and have a consistency much like a hockey puck. Don't try to run them in the winter temps, snow or not - even if you survive, the very expensive tires will not. If you don't get snow, just cold, then hi-perf winter tires or hi perf all-seasons may work well, but all-seasons won't be as good for summer fun. To me, in most areas it makes sense to have a dedicated winter set - what is the point of spending 40-50k on a performance car, and then not put proper tires on it - like an Olympic sprinter lining up for the race in après-ski boots. They also make for a simple, if bulky spare tire.
I could not find a test result with all season vs winter tire in cold, dry condition.
there are lots of winter vs summer tire and all season vs winter tire on snow.

If you can find any test that shows the all season vs winter tire in cold dry condition, please let me know. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #63
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
I told you from the beginning my preference based on seasonal driving, which so happened to be your exact same reason for RWD. I told you from the beginning I wasn't looking for an argument and stated opinions of the popular on BOTH sides. I never stated one was better than the other. I sated a fact, One of which you have had trouble accepting. I think you've finally understand that the auto is faster, no matter how you want to twist out of it. I haven't offered another argument as I wasn't looking for one as no ones wins here except the auto vs manual in terms of fact based speed tests. Cool Story bro!
Dank troll post my guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post

Its all facts 1. AWD with proper tires would be abit safer in snow, less chances of getting stuck 2. AWD and Auto are faster due to grip from stand still and due to faster shifting, easier to drive . 1. RWD and manual are just more fun to drive since its YOU who actually drives the car not electronics etc, AWD and RWD are equally fast from 5mph roll and in corners but RWD is more challenging.

PS. I always wanted the fastest and the best handling.....but then I realized, I dont compete on track, I dont drag race, I usually dont launch my car from lights, and all snow here gets cleaned within hours. I actually prefer to stay home and avoid driving in salt and potentially get hit by some AWD SUV drivers on all-season tires. Who knows someday and maybe even next car will be AWD and Auto.....you get older and you care less about throwing you back out and shifting through gears
Yup, BMW offers a variety of configurations for a reason. This was my original argument when epictrollbro said the auto was faster. It's faster in certain situations ya, but the difference isn't as significant as implied. Just saying it's faster without qualifications is misleading. If cars were this black and white with regards to performance why would BMW even offer the manual version? To appease its buyers? People only care about bench racing nowadays, like epictrollbro taunting his car being faster in a straight line, digging himself deeper into his superiority complex, instead of understanding the difference between actual driving and magazine articles.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #64
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Also the amount of automotive shitposting in this thread reminds me of 4chan's /o/.
      04-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #65
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Also the amount of automotive shitposting in this thread reminds me of 4chan's /o/.
This thread in a nutshell:
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #66
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I told you from the beginning my preference based on seasonal driving, which so happened to be your exact same reason for RWD. I told you from the beginning I wasn't looking for an argument and stated opinions of the popular on BOTH sides. I never stated one was better than the other. I sated a fact, One of which you have had trouble accepting. I think you've finally understand that the auto is faster, no matter how you want to twist out of it. I haven't offered another argument as I wasn't looking for one as no ones wins here except the auto vs manual in terms of fact based speed tests. Cool Story bro!
Dank troll post my guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post

Its all facts 1. AWD with proper tires would be abit safer in snow, less chances of getting stuck 2. AWD and Auto are faster due to grip from stand still and due to faster shifting, easier to drive . 1. RWD and manual are just more fun to drive since its YOU who actually drives the car not electronics etc, AWD and RWD are equally fast from 5mph roll and in corners but RWD is more challenging.

Yup, BMW offers a variety of configurations for a reason. This was my original argument when epictrollbro said the auto was faster. It's faster in certain situations ya, but the difference isn't as significant as implied. Just saying it's faster without qualifications is misleading. If cars were this black and white with regards to performance why would BMW even offer the manual version? To appease its buyers? People only care about bench racing nowadays, like epictrollbro taunting his car being faster in a straight line, digging himself deeper into his superiority complex, instead of understanding the difference between actual driving and magazine articles.
: cool troll post bro