THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What driving mode do you usually use?

09-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #133
lajollabeach
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bit faster than I should

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC View Post
I took that course as well. I highly reccommend it.
Yeah it was super fun. We drove 340s in AM, M235s in PM. M235s must have staggered 225/245s like my M Sport 228? The driving school takes those tires off and puts on cheaper unstaggered 225s on. Accelerating hard as possible out of the corners those tires didn't squeal. My assumption is that was the work of the DSC, but I don't know that for sure.

previous e36, e46, e36, 228i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #134
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

Sport or Sport+ when I'm by myself, Comfort when my wife is with me.
M Perf. Black Grilles | CF Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler, Rear Diffuser | Lightweight Front Lip Spoiler | M Perf. Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #135
kindofblue
Gone electric
Rep
Drives: i4 40eDrive 3/31/23 & Mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Comfort mode as a rule; ECO on long highway stretches. Generally going for good mpg.
Agreed though Sport can be fun!
      09-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #136
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

m235 w/ M perf exhaust, so... comfort mode except:
- if a fellow enthusiast car is around (lol), since the exhaust is lovely sounding
- if the road conditions are smooth and twisty, or on track

On an autocross I would do sport+, on an unfamiliar track I start in Sport (especially one with walls all the time around you!). edit: ah, on the track I configure Sport to be Chassis only to keep a linear throttle and steering. On the street, use Sport for both settings for "fun".

Eco only on long drives but you just end up going so slow! (because I try to take advantage of the transmission dis-engage when you apply no gas)
      04-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #137
Stones1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - buying BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass View Post
Starting with the 2016 model year (or was it 2015, I cant remember), even without Track Handling Package, it still makes a minor adjustment to the suspension. Just a little bit stiffer. Though, nowhere near as noticeable as when you have THP.
Can confirm, 2015. I've driven a 2014 that didn't have this feature and a 2015 that did. In my '17 I immediately notice it over bumps and imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #138
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I like how it sounds on e85 in ECO with the shifter in S. It holds revs and builds boost slowly so it sounds cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #139
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Lately, I have been using ECO on my drive to and from work, about five miles, where there is always some traffic. Trying to get some extra miles makes the trip, which I have done daily for years, a little more amusing.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #140
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

Sport
      04-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #141
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Always Sport+, roughly 50% shifter Left
      04-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #142
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Traction on the street (most exhaust overrun).
Dsc off the rest of the time, aka shenanigans and track.

Sometimes sport on the highway because it doesn't feel as floaty.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #143
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Sport+ 90% of the time

Comfort occasionally

Eco mode needs to be kicked, beaten, and shot
Appreciate 1
makrop151.00
      04-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #144
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Comfort mode 80%/Sport Mode 20%

I don't notice a steering change when I switch modes

There is no use in me using sport mode on the interstate, I just get worse gas mileage and it's louder for no reason. When I'm in town, I do use sport mode because it sounds better and the car doesn't shut when I'm at the lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #145
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclone View Post
Comfort mode 80%/Sport Mode 20%

I don't notice a steering change when I switch modes

There is no use in me using sport mode on the interstate, I just get worse gas mileage and it's louder for no reason. When I'm in town, I do use sport mode because it sounds better and the car doesn't shut when I'm at the lights.
If you don't notice a change in steering your sport mode is probably configured to only be sport throttle. It's a setting in I drive. It's definitely noticeable.

Same with auto off. I have mine turned off so it will idle even in comfort. That's the button next to the drive mode selection.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #146
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

DSC Off most of the time. If it's cold out (i.e., sub 50s), I typically do Traction mode to get a softer ride since the tires and shocks are naturally stiffer. If it's warm and wet out, I typically do Sport with only the suspension/steering set to Sport. I find the Sport throttle settings too aggressive for the 6MT. I've learned to like the Comfort throttle settings.
      04-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #147
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

driving mode

Comfort mode. Too many speeding tickets already. Sport mode on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #148
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

I've turned the setting for sport to just chassis only so I can get the heavier steering but still retain most comfort setting.
      04-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #149
SpartacusV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i coupe

Comfy for commute
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #150
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I dislike driving "modes".
This trend, which has been going on for well over the past 5-7 years, really sucks.

If I want a sport sedan or sport coupe, then I have no desire for a "comfort" mode, and even less so for an "eco" mode.
If I want a comfort oriented and fuel economy automobile, then I'll not seek and get a sport-anything.

With adjustable dampers I like and understand the need for being able to set a range or setting for that particular item. However, even if there was no driver made setting the self adjusting dampers would suite me fine.

As it is, about 75% of my miles are on "sport" and the rest on "comfort/base" mode.
At times I will turn ESC off for more driver control. And I will engage DTC when there is snow on the road so that I can get more wheel spin when needed to get throw some spots or hillier terrain as needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #151
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I dislike driving "modes".
This trend, which has been going on for well over the past 5-7 years, really sucks.

If I want a sport sedan or sport coupe, then I have no desire for a "comfort" mode, and even less so for an "eco" mode.
If I want a comfort oriented and fuel economy automobile, then I'll not seek and get a sport-anything.

With adjustable dampers I like and understand the need for being able to set a range or setting for that particular item. However, even if there was no driver made setting the self adjusting dampers would suite me fine.

As it is, about 75% of my miles are on "sport" and the rest on "comfort/base" mode.
At times I will turn ESC off for more driver control. And I will engage DTC when there is snow on the road so that I can get more wheel spin when needed to get throw some spots or hillier terrain as needed.
May we presume you tend to drive solo? The modes are a "marital aid" for us; my wife doesn't complain about the ride in Comfort. I tend to always drive in Sport when alone...and that setting she does not enjoy.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #152
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
May we presume you tend to drive solo? The modes are a "marital aid" for us; my wife doesn't complain about the ride in Comfort. I tend to always drive in Sport when alone...and that setting she does not enjoy.
Yes you may, and you would be correct.

Allow me to elaborate.

However, and again, marital status really has nothing to do with the need for "driving modes".
Even a non driver mode selection would allow a self adjusting suspension to provide the proper ride and control within a particular cars intended performance range.

For example, with the adjustable suspension "sport" mode does not at all greatly alter the cars ride dynamics such that it feels like a brick on bumps.
And, "comfort" does not make the car's ride drastically smoother or more passenger car like.
Passengers in my M340i have never complained of harsh or bumpy ride when I am in "sport" mode, nor have they been thrilled if I leave it in "comfort" mode. And that includes passengers from pre-teen nieces and nephews to my parents who are in their 70s.

I do not wish to negate your wife's experiences and likes, as that is impolite and not necessary.
I will simply offer that, when a person knows there are settings that alter something, then they become primed and prompted to "look for" or "feel for" some difference. And with that can come heightened awareness along with an exaggerated sensation to any change. This is one reason why placebos can work.

IMO, "Driver modes" are a gimmick to be sure.
It's become a selling feature like having blue-tooth or Apple car-play, and yet those two features have more obvious usability than driving "modes", as it pertains to certain cars and/or variants.

If I want an M240i or M340i that means that I am already favoring and accepting a certain initial or base performance level along with any aspects that are increased and/or decreased.
By including these modes manufacturers like BMW dilute all of the modes as they attempt to try and be some of many things rather than maximize all of one thing.

A "sport, Msport", or whatever name is given to a more driver oriented variant, should be maximized to deliver the best performance capability of the particular niche.
This is why an "eco" mode is a ridiculous notion on sport or Msport.
I find it silly that a person would use "eco" mode in a sport or Msport variant, other than on a long highway trip where the AC compressor will simply run shorter run cycles to help increase MPG, as that pretty much is what the benefit is at steady state driving.

Using "eco" mode in daily commute or city driving puts the sport/Msport into a seriously unresponsive and numb level of driving.
For a sporty coupe or sedan the drivers want a level of engagement and response that comes with choosing those variants.
I can limit how much fuel I am using during acceleration from a stop or a pass by the proper method, which we call the "throttle or gas pedal."
In Eco mode throttle response is ridiculously unresponsive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #153
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yes you may, and you would be correct.

Allow me to elaborate.

However, and again, marital status really has nothing to do with the need for "driving modes".
Even a non driver mode selection would allow a self adjusting suspension to provide the proper ride and control within a particular cars intended performance range.

For example, with the adjustable suspension "sport" mode does not at all greatly alter the cars ride dynamics such that it feels like a brick on bumps.
And, "comfort" does not make the car's ride drastically smoother or more passenger car like.
Passengers in my M340i have never complained of harsh or bumpy ride when I am in "sport" mode, nor have they been thrilled if I leave it in "comfort" mode. And that includes passengers from pre-teen nieces and nephews to my parents who are in their 70s.

I do not wish to negate your wife's experiences and likes, as that is impolite and not necessary.
I will simply offer that, when a person knows there are settings that alter something, then they become primed and prompted to "look for" or "feel for" some difference. And with that can come heightened awareness along with an exaggerated sensation to any change. This is one reason why placebos can work.

IMO, "Driver modes" are a gimmick to be sure.
It's become a selling feature like having blue-tooth or Apple car-play, and yet those two features have more obvious usability than driving "modes", as it pertains to certain cars and/or variants.

If I want an M240i or M340i that means that I am already favoring and accepting a certain initial or base performance level along with any aspects that are increased and/or decreased.
By including these modes manufacturers like BMW dilute all of the modes as they attempt to try and be some of many things rather than maximize all of one thing.

A "sport, Msport", or whatever name is given to a more driver oriented variant, should be maximized to deliver the best performance capability of the particular niche.
This is why an "eco" mode is a ridiculous notion on sport or Msport.
I find it silly that a person would use "eco" mode in a sport or Msport variant, other than on a long highway trip where the AC compressor will simply run shorter run cycles to help increase MPG, as that pretty much is what the benefit is at steady state driving.

Using "eco" mode in daily commute or city driving puts the sport/Msport into a seriously unresponsive and numb level of driving.
For a sporty coupe or sedan the drivers want a level of engagement and response that comes with choosing those variants.
I can limit how much fuel I am using during acceleration from a stop or a pass by the proper method, which we call the "throttle or gas pedal."
In Eco mode throttle response is ridiculously unresponsive.
Philosophically, I understand your position. In practicality, our actual experience varies notably. Factors possibly at work include that your 3 Series has enough superiority in ride harshness that it is not the same factor as in a shorter wheelbase 2 Series. When I drive my garage-mate 330i GT, the ride harshness experience is far superior anything the 2 Series' range of calibration could accomplish.

It is also possible that on the lunar surface of southeast Moonchigan, our series of connected potholes, which some delusional folks in Lansing call "roads", may exacerbate the problem. In any event, my beloved can feel the difference quite easily. Consciously innoculating against the placebo effect, I can feel it as well in my 2, as one who participated in evaluation drives at my prior employer's proving grounds. Sensitivities and stimuli vary, no doubt.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #154
genadyl
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Comfort on the streets, Sport or Sport+ in the hills, depending on road conditions
Appreciate 0