THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2016 with black valance and lip spoiler = M sport model?

08-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
cmorris975
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mustang V6

2016 with black valance and lip spoiler = M sport model?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

I am finally pulling the trigger on a used 228i (after 3 years with my 2016 V6 mustang, great car!). I think this is probably a dumb quetion but I want to make sure I get my order right.

This car is *not* listed as having the M sport package but it appears to have it. It has the black valance and there are no foglights in the front (black kidney grill). Plus it as the lip spoiler. It must have the M sport package, correct?

I was going to buy a slightly cheaper used 2016 228i with a lot of tech but no extra sport options. It also had a few small dings and scratches.

Since I am very interested in performance (even though I really don't push cars *that* hard, nor have I been to a track - but I'd like to), I am willing to give up the tech and nav for a better suspension. The M sport looks better too, but I looks aren't what I am focusing on. I want a good handling car. I just rented a 2019 Camaro SS for a month and was blown away by the handling (and power, of course). Super fun car, even if I can't really push it that hard on public roads. I digress...

Is the M sport a harsh ride at all? My girlfriend is not going to like giving up the tech stuff, nav and heated seats but she is pretty tolerant of my car obsession (thankfully). I don't mind a tighter suspension, I want it, but it's got to be livable on long drives as we travel a lot.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Not sure, but found this which may help you:

The M Sport trim line includes an M Aerodynamic Kit, exclusive M Sport colors and trims, M Sports seats, and an M Sport steering wheel to distinguish it visually from cars without the package. M Sport wheels and suspension make the car handle as well as it looks.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/what-is-bmw-m-sport

Just my $.02, you will likely find that either car will perform to your expectations in normal traffic. If you don't track or want to push your car to the bleeding edge, you may find having those extra those "Techie" things nice to have for a daily driver.

I checked out the spec's on the 230i and whether you choose the M Sport or the regular, both cars have the same acceleration specifications (which is what I find more useful when playing in traffic.

Your call.......................
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

You can always upgrade the suspension but adding in the tech after the car is built is a lot harder. Little things make the car more modern. Navigation gives you the widescreen on the dash and xenon headlights gives you the signature angel eyes. Search for an online BMW Vin decoder. If you can get the last 7 digits of the Vin you can get the build list of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
cmorris975
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!

Yes, the car does have the M sport according to the VIN decoder.

I am going to take your advice, however, and stick with the other choice with the nice tech options. It is $500 cheaper with 5k less miles as well. It does have a couple very small dings but hopefully I can repair that.

I think I get so one-track-minded about performance that I start to pine for it at the expense of everything else. I might want to take a high performance driving course or two before I try to max every single detail with performance in mind.

I'm sure the stock suspension and run-flats + this engine will give me more performance than I'd really know what to do with for the time being.

Plus the girlfriend will be happier, always good!

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Appreciate 1
makrop151.00
      08-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Good for you. Here's a link to an article that should make you feel even better about your choice. Based on the pix of the car being evaluated, it is not an M sport.

https://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is...buy-1662847106
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
e30topdown
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3M

FWIW, I just purchased a 228i with the M Sport Package and a 6 speed. M seats, M suspension, M trim, M aerodynamics, M trunk spoiler. It includes choices of Eco-Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ driving modes. Mine has bluetooth and usb connectivity which is all I need, really. But the suspension is very compliant and comfortable in comfort mode. Not noticeably firm at all. Sport+ is much firmer, but not harsh.

I've been wanting this package car since the July 2016 Road & Track article where four journalists chose the 228i with the M Sport Package/6 speed MT over the M235i and M2 as the most engaging car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
cmorris975
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30topdown View Post
FWIW, I just purchased a 228i with the M Sport Package and a 6 speed. M seats, M suspension, M trim, M aerodynamics, M trunk spoiler. It includes choices of Eco-Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ driving modes. Mine has bluetooth and usb connectivity which is all I need, really. But the suspension is very compliant and comfortable in comfort mode. Not noticeably firm at all. Sport+ is much firmer, but not harsh.

I've been wanting this package car since the July 2016 Road & Track article where four journalists chose the 228i with the M Sport Package/6 speed MT over the M235i and M2 as the most engaging car.
Now that I could see working! That's pretty much the ultimate 228i you've got there.

There's none like that in my area though, and since we need to switch cars and move (long story), I'm just going to pulll the trigger and enjoy what I've got.

Down the road when things settle down I will probably play around with the idea of getting a manual with some kind of sports package.

Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
cmorris975
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Good for you. Here's a link to an article that should make you feel even better about your choice. Based on the pix of the car being evaluated, it is not an M sport.

https://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is...buy-1662847106
Yeah, I saw that!

It *did* make me feel more confident in the choice I made. So I get a little less handling prowess and a little more tech and comfort at a lower price. It's all a trade-off.

I want to learn the car well and do some HPDE. Then maybe we'll talk about M sport + manual or m235is. Might not be necessary though. Moonroof + tons of tech + summer tires and maybe a suspension mod might just do it for me for a few years.

I've wanted one of these for awhile now. Can't wait until Wednesday!

I currently live less then two miles from Mt. Lemmon highway in Tucson, so I've got the twisty roads right on my doorstep!
Appreciate 0