THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My windshield wiper arm broke my windshield

05-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

My windshield wiper arm broke my windshield

I was washing my car, and when I started to lift up the windshield wiper to clean underneath, it slipped out of my hand. It was probably only 3-4 inches off the glass at the time, but it slammed down and the blade came off. I didn't think it would cause any real damage, but I was wrong. There's now a huge starburst crack (with one of the legs going almost the entire height of the glass) and a 2-3 inch gouge right underneath the wiper. The result seems ridiculous to me, but has anyone else ever heard of this happening? Does this say something bad about the glass in the 2er, or would you expect the same result on any car in these circumstances?

The only blessing here is that I live in Florida, and in this state no insurance company is allow to charge a deductible on a damaged windshield. They have to cover the entire cost of repair/replacement, and the customer can go wherever he likes to have it fixed. I was honestly expecting my insurer to give me a hard time with it or try to trick me into paying my deductible, but they did no such thing. They recommended I go with Safelite, but I think I'll go to the dealership. The situation still sucks, but finally living in Florida has proven beneficial in some way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Damn !
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Did the blade come off then the arm hit? Or blade came off after?

Gotta assume you hit the one in a million perfect angle distance maybe even ambient temp. You could probably try doing that over and over again and never replicate the result.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Christ in a sidecar... That happened to me yesterday in the middle of a wash.. Was washing the windshield and lifted the wiper arm slightly and unexpectedly, the blade popped off.. Instinct was to try and catch it before it hit the paint and the metal arm smacked back on the windshield. I shuddered as I heard the sound and just stopped and stared for about three minutes, hose in hand, waiting for spider cracks..

I totally lucked out as the windshield was intact but I completely feel your pain, as I was making diamonds down there at the time..

It's insane because I was just checking the blades earlier as I'm not really on board with how the blades connect into the arm. Its happened before about a month ago when I replaced the blades with new ones.. Had a similar wiper arm on the previous E82 and it was solid and sturdy under ice and heavy snow.

The F22 must have had a change because I don't trust the receiving arm at all and throw a protective mat on the glass when changing the blades.

I told my SA about it a few weeks ago and he obviously told me that there were no reported issues. But he did temper that with a, "Make sure you use BMW blades and not aftermarket as they will dispute a warranty claim, blah, blah..".. I did notice that there was a mention in the owners manual about not letting the arm smack the windshield.. (Cover your ass..)

I definitely see small black, neatly trimmed zip ties around that assembly in the very near future.. Not something I expected to have to do to this car..

I would definitely pursue BMWNA over this and keep receipts..

Please let us know how it works out, as I don't think this is a isolated issue...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Did the blade come off then the arm hit? Or blade came off after?

Gotta assume you hit the one in a million perfect angle distance maybe even ambient temp. You could probably try doing that over and over again and never replicate the result.
I'm not actually sure, but I feel the like the blade only could have come off after it hit the windshield. It certainly didn't stay in my hand...my grip just slipped because the thing was wet.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
Christ in a sidecar... That happened to me yesterday in the middle of a wash.. Was washing the windshield and lifted the wiper arm slightly and unexpectedly, the blade popped off.. Instinct was to try and catch it before it hit the paint and the metal arm smacked back on the windshield. I shuddered as I heard the sound and just stopped and stared for about three minutes, hose in hand, waiting for spider cracks..

I totally lucked out as the windshield was intact but I completely feel your pain, as I was making diamonds down there at the time..

It's insane because I was just checking the blades earlier as I'm not really on board with how the blades connect into the arm. Its happened before about a month ago when I replaced the blades with new ones.. Had a similar wiper arm on the previous E82 and it was solid and sturdy under ice and heavy snow.

The F22 must have had a change because I don't trust the receiving arm at all and throw a protective mat on the glass when changing the blades.

I told my SA about it a few weeks ago and he obviously told me that there were no reported issues. But he did temper that with a, "Make sure you use BMW blades and not aftermarket as they will dispute a warranty claim, blah, blah..".. I did notice that there was a mention in the owners manual about not letting the arm smack the windshield.. (Cover your ass..)

I definitely see small black, neatly trimmed zip ties around that assembly in the very near future.. Not something I expected to have to do to this car..

I would definitely pursue BMWNA over this and keep receipts..

Please let us know how it works out, as I don't think this is a isolated issue...
Right. I will definitely be reporting this to my dealership and BMWNA. I hadn't looked closely at the assembly before, but the blade sure came off easily. All you have to do is squeeze those little rubber tabs, or apply enough force to make them flex...

I'll keep you all updated with the response.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

I did that once on my ML Mercedes. A wiper arm up off the windshield is a loaded gun aimed at your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

I did the same with mine. Lifted the arms to clean it, then remembered I had check something under the hood and raised it. The arms scraped the lip of the hood, popped one blade off an arm, then slammed the naked metal down on the windshield. The spider crack can't be repaired, but I drove it for another 6mo before it expanded and the entire windshield must be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Ouch. I did the same thing years ago. I took off the wipers to replace them and accidentally knocked the wiperless arm down. Boom. Cracked windshield.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Had this to an Accord decades ago while changing out a blade. I learned my lesson to handle wiper arms with care. By the way, it's extremely unlikely the wiper arm with a blade in place did the damage. There's too much surface area and nothing rigid. A wiper arm with no blade is exactly like a glass breaking device like those carried by the police.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #11
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Dang, sorry about that. You're doing a great service to others by posting, so we can all be more careful handling the wipers. I'm gonna put a bath towel at the base of the windshield when the time comes to change the blades.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Had this to an Accord decades ago while changing out a blade. I learned my lesson to handle wiper arms with care. By the way, it's extremely unlikely the wiper arm with a blade in place did the damage. There's too much surface area and nothing rigid. A wiper arm with no blade is exactly like a glass breaking device like those carried by the police.
It's funny you said that. I was wondering the same thing last night and woke up convinced the blade must have come off before the arm came down, otherwise there wouldn't be this much damage. The fact is, I wasn't lifting the whole thing up by the blade...I was lifting the arm itself, at the very end. Now I realize that's where the blade is connected and (since the blade isn't attached very securely) may have actually contributed to the problem, but I didn't think of that previously. I stand by my actions as reasonable though - to move anything on a hinge, you make the lever arm as long as possible so the required force is less. Also, it would be hard for me to grab any further down on the arm without sitting on the hood of the car.

And thanks for all the commiserations. Makes me feel a little better to know I'm not alone
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

I did the exact same thing several years ago with my BMW X1.
Lifted the wiper arm (by the blade) to wash under the arm, the blade slipped off (dunno how) and the blade-less arm hit the windshield from no more than 4" away and crack.
I was really surprised at how easily the blade came off the arm.
      05-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

don't use safelite. THey do not use OEM glass and you will have to go to the dealer anyway.

Glass replacement was right around 1500.00, than go reimbursed by insurance.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Had no idea this was so common good to know. I think the lockdown clip is pretty weak on our wipers noticed mine had come undone the other day.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

holy shit!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #17
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
The situation still sucks, but finally living in Florida has proven beneficial in some way.
That and no state income tax!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Sucks.

With the arms up if you lift the hood it does the same thing breaks the glass.

I'd claim it as COMP as if a rock hit it.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      05-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

There must be some luck involved - I recently did the boneheaded move of having wipers up, and then opening the hood. It made a horrible noise knocking the wipers back down, but as far as I can tell no damage to hood lip, and didn't break glass (but wipers remained intact and were point of contact w/ windshield). Kind of unsettling that something CAN shatter a windshield this easily though. I know the safety glass will keep you safe(ish), but it would freak me out to have a rock hit take out the windshield. And at $1500 I'm going to call to verify that I'm still on the 'full glass' policy.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #20
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

I'm in this club, too.

I did this same exact thing in winter. Raised my wipers up when it was snowing so they wouldn't stick to the windshield. Once the snow/ice melted I went to push the blade and arm back down and the blade pull off the arm and bam, giant crack. Sucks, but glad I'm not the only one I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #21
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

My buddy constantly leaves my wipers lifted when he gets out of work before me (every day). He just got a link to this thread, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I was washing my car, and when I started to lift up the windshield wiper to clean underneath, it slipped out of my hand. It was probably only 3-4 inches off the glass at the time, but it slammed down and the blade came off. I didn't think it would cause any real damage, but I was wrong...
Years ago, I overheard a mechanic service mgr. conversation where they broke a windshield and have always been extra careful every since.

Quote:
Right. I will definitely be reporting this to my dealership and BMWNA. I hadn't looked closely at the assembly before, but the blade sure came off easily. All you have to do is squeeze those little rubber tabs, or apply enough force to make them flex...

I'll keep you all updated with the response.
I wouldn't bother with BMW or the dealer as BMW did not design the wiper blade locking mechanism and it was just bad luck. Take a trip to Walmart there are 3-5 ways a wiper blade attaches to the arm for all manufactures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post

Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
don't use safelite. THey do not use OEM glass and you will have to go to the dealer anyway.

Glass replacement was right around 1500.00, than go reimbursed by insurance.
Dealers do not replace glass. They call a third party. If the car is newer let the dealer manage it and get a loaner. If older find out who they use and if you like them use them. Some times dealers will tell you to deal w/it yourself regardless of car age.

If the car is older they may have a non-OEM glass option. If newer or special (LR heated windshields) they will use OEM. When you talk to the repair place ask. If they have both for your car your insurance may make you pay the difference.

Do not replace the glass first and call insurance second. That is a guaranteed denial.

In fact insurance at least State Farm is using a separate glass insurance company. So when you call they forward you to them and they make the appointment.
Appreciate 0