THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics CarPlay questions

01-28-2018, 12:51 AM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

CarPlay questions

I'm trying to figure out how to use carplay in my 2018, and have run into some odd roadblocks.

1) Navigation to an address from a contact: I can ask Siri for the location of something and then hand that location off to the iDrive navigation. But I can't seem to hand off navigation to the address in an iPhone contact. (If CarPlay is disabled, I can select a contact in iDrive, but if CarPlay is enabled, that option goes away.)

2) If using CarPlay, there doesn't seem to be a way to get a notification of a new text message. Not only does it not show up on the iDrive display, I don't get a notification on my phone or my Apple Watch.

What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, now I can't figure out how to hand off a destination from Apple Maps to the BMW nav at all. I made this work on a loaner car before I got mine, but now I can't find the option. Is there a config option for this on the phone or car?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
AFAIK you need the BMW ConnectedDrive app on the phone. You can then push it from the phone to the car (goes over the 3G in the car, requires the car to have active subscription / etc), or I think it can be pulled in via USB if you plug the phone in.

I usually push it over 3G, but then sometimes the car keeps asking me if I want to navigate to that address (presumably because it's pulling it over USB and not registering that I had actually visited the address once).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

I've always been able to send destinations using the BMWConnected app from the phone. But on the loaner car, there was a button that popped up directly in Apple Maps when mirrored on the car display using CarPlay. (The owner's manual confirms that you should be able to do this, but does not say how.)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Disabling and reenabling CarPlay made the option to share with the BMW nav system come back. Go figure.

I don't know whether to be happy or even more frustrated with the lack of reliability for this stuff.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #6
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Disabling and reenabling CarPlay made the option to share with the BMW nav system come back. Go figure.

I don't know whether to be happy or even more frustrated with the lack of reliability for this stuff.
Good tip! This was all working for me until the latest iOS update. Then the nav handoff disappeared, and the CarPlay home screen got reset to defaults as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
vinnola
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i Convertible

The worst

The whole Idrive system, and carplay is really quite a horrible POS.

So I've used carplay quite exclusively (but occasionally switch to idrive because I'm hoping it works better for a few minutes or so...) and have the following problems:

1. album info doesn't update in split view
2. song info doesn't update on the dash lcd
3. call info doesn't display on the dash lcd
4. volume much lower for carplay than for other inputs
5. pandora, iheartradio rarely work without starting them up on the phone

idrive would be a great option but honestly, it takes 2-3 min for it to start registering the apps for use on the input list--and that's a deal breaker.

I miss my lexus.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Yep, all the above. And I've noticed that when using CarPlay, the first letter of the first name and last letter of the last name are cut off in the mini screen at the bottom of the dash, like when receiving a call.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnola View Post
The whole Idrive system, and carplay is really quite a horrible POS.

So I've used carplay quite exclusively (but occasionally switch to idrive because I'm hoping it works better for a few minutes or so...) and have the following problems:

1. album info doesn't update in split view
2. song info doesn't update on the dash lcd
3. call info doesn't display on the dash lcd
4. volume much lower for carplay than for other inputs
5. pandora, iheartradio rarely work without starting them up on the phone

idrive would be a great option but honestly, it takes 2-3 min for it to start registering the apps for use on the input list--and that's a deal breaker.

I miss my lexus.
I would have agreed based on my 2015 m235i or my wife's 2012 328. But IMO the iDrive in the 2018 LCI m240i is much improved. The only reason I run CarPlay sometimes is for better Apple Music integration, or to run an app for an internet radio site I like that is CarPlay enabled but not BMW Apps enabled.
Appreciate 0