THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M235i xDrive vs Audi S3

03-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #23
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
What has better LED headlights. M4 or S3?
In my personal opinion, after a few Audis, headlights always suck, had a A4 looong time ago, A6, my wife had a Q7 and now drives a Q5, all, without exemption have had the worst lights I can remember, bi-xenon that works worst than halogen?
We had to use the "high beam" most of the time when driving in dark streets, don't know much about the S3 lights, but after such bad experiences, I must asume the any BMW is way much better than Audi
      03-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #24
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I wish BMW would offer a 4-door GC or sedan option. I drove both and I believe it is a tie. Audi is better looking (interior and exterior) and more functional by having 4 doors. The BMW wins on driving dynamics. My $0.02. Both are awesome cars!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #25
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
I wish BMW would offer a 4-door GC or sedan option. I drove both and I believe it is a tie. Audi is better looking (interior and exterior) and more functional by having 4 doors. The BMW wins on driving dynamics. My $0.02. Both are awesome cars!
Noooooo to the GC. BMW already makes a sedan, called the 3 series. There should be a law that only 2-door cars can be called coupes or any variation thereof. A Grand Coupe is a sedan. Period.

[Sorry, nothing personal. I just can't stand how manufacturers starting creating a new segment called Gran Coupe, when all it really is, is a sedan with less headroom and unweildly back doors.]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
The true A3/S3 competitor is coming. The FWD/AWD BMW 1 Series sedan, on the shared UKL platform with Mini, will be here soon. Then, the three way arena of non-RWD entry level German luxury sedans will be complete....1 Series vs A3/S3 vs CLA.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #27
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Ugh, for crying out loud can we get an M2 teaser?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #28
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
If Audi/VW didn't have such a spotty reliability record I would consider them. Not that BMW is amazing either but most of the horror stories I've heard have been VWAG. Hopefully the newer models are better.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #29
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Noooooo to the GC. BMW already makes a sedan, called the 3 series. There should be a law that only 2-door cars can be called coupes or any variation thereof. A Grand Coupe is a sedan. Period.

[Sorry, nothing personal. I just can't stand how manufacturers starting creating a new segment called Gran Coupe, when all it really is, is a sedan with less headroom and unweildly back doors.]
By definition a coupe is a 2 door car. Period.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #30
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
If Audi/VW didn't have such a spotty reliability record I would consider them. Not that BMW is amazing either but most of the horror stories I've heard have been VWAG. Hopefully the newer models are better.
I've had 5 Audis with ZERO serious/recurring problems. Can't say that for the BMW I've had. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #31
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Comparisons on price point is one way to write stories that's for sure.
      03-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #32
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

At the end of the day, me being a fan boy, M235 ALL DAY! lol

I will admit I don't know much about Audi, but I have heard great things about the S3. Regardless, I know they are both great cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #33
Peschiera
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series

I love RWD in BMWs. But this xDrive seems to be amazing.
Event the German magazin auto-motor-sport which is actualy pro Audi always, could not deny the superior performance of M235i xDrive. These are the test results published just a few days ago when comparing it against S3 and A45 AMG.

Hockenheim ring:
A45 AMG: 1,14.9 min.
M235i xDrive: 1,15.0 min.
S3: 1,16.5 min

0..100 km/h:
A45 AMG: 4.8 sec.
M235i xDrive: 4.9 sec.
S3: 5.1 sec.

18 meter slalom:
A45 AMG: 68.6 km/h
M235i xDrive: 70.4 km/h
S3: 68.6 km/h

I love this statement (free translation):
'Although the heaviest M235i manages the slalom with 70.4 km/h. To put it into relation: even the clubracer version of Lotus cannot achieve this.'
(I apologize for my poor english)

Last edited by Peschiera; 03-12-2015 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #34
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peschiera
I love RWD in BMWs. But this xDrive seems to be amazing.
Event the German magazin auto-motor-sport which is actualy pro Audi always, could not deny the superior performance of M235i xDrive. These are the test results published just a few days ago when comparing it against S3 and A45 AMG.

Hockenheim ring:
A45 AMG: 1,14.9 min.
M235i xDrive: 1,15.0 min.
S3: 1,16.5 min

0..100 km/h:
A45 AMG: 4.8 sec.
M235i xDrive: 4.9 sec.
S3: 5.1 sec.

18 meter slalom:
A45 AMG: 68.6 km/h
M235i xDrive: 70.4 km/h
S3: 68.6 km/h

I love this statement (free translation):
'Although the heaviest M235i manages the slalom with 70.4 km/h. To put it into relation: even the clubracer version of Lotus cannot achieve this.'
(I apologize for my poor english)
Thank you for sharing. Amazing to me these numbers for all 3 are very close to fancy sport cars a decade ago and 2 of them manage it with 4-cylinder engines. Wow!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #35
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboost
LONG time bmw fan/owner here. I hate any bmw with xdrive. It's a different concept than Quattro but Quattro is much better.
This new Audi is better than the bmw.
I do agree to a certain point, even my wife opted for a non x drive 228i M sport after owning a 328xi for 3 years. She said the stance and handling characteristics were much better in my rear driver so she wanted that feel. With blizzaks on her car here in Chicago she was good to go.

I have however wished in a couple instances in deep heavy snow I had x drive but those are rare moments. I enjoy rwd 11 months out of the year.
      03-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #36
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
What has better LED headlights. M4 or S3?
In my personal opinion, after a few Audis, headlights always suck, had a A4 looong time ago, A6, my wife had a Q7 and now drives a Q5, all, without exemption have had the worst lights I can remember, bi-xenon that works worst than halogen?
We had to use the "high beam" most of the time when driving in dark streets, don't know much about the S3 lights, but after such bad experiences, I must asume the any BMW is way much better than Audi
I had a b7 a4 with oem xenons. Was excellent at lighting up the road no complaints

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #37
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Which one would i buy push come to shove, M235i. Which do I think looks better, S3 by a long shot.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #38
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS
Agree.

They missed the mark by making a 4 series gran coupe and instead should be producing a 2 series gran coupe.

It's a Major hole in the Bmw lineup even though they have 84 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post

By definition a coupe is a 2 door car. Period.

By definition, it's four wheeled and also horse drawn.

see- Merriam Webster
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #40
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I do agree to a certain point, even my wife opted for a non x drive 228i M sport after owning a 328xi for 3 years. She said the stance and handling characteristics were much better in my rear driver so she wanted that feel. With blizzaks on her car here in Chicago she was good to go.

I have however wished in a couple instances in deep heavy snow I had x drive but those are rare moments. I enjoy rwd 11 months out of the year.
Did you or your wife test drive an xDrive 2 series?

There has been a paradigm shift at BMW w.r.t. xDrive in the 2 series and 6 series- both offer the same sport suspension in xDrive as they do in RWD.

That's not the case with the 3 series, so I can understand preferring RWD over xDrive for that car.

Bruce
      03-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #41
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega
Quote:

There has been a paradigm shift at BMW w.r.t. xDrive in the 2 series and 6 series- both offer the same sport suspension in xDrive as they do in RWD.

That's not the case with the 3 series, so I can understand preferring RWD over xDrive for that car.

Bruce
No, there was no x drive available yet on the 2 series when we test drove. However it was available to order as an option back in July when we secured an allocation.

She didn't want it. She's a bit on the enthusiast side of the dynamic feel of a compared average girl now days. She drove my car with blizzaks and determined it was sufficient with an added comment of knowing she's miss x drive in certain scenarios.

I had her drive an A4 to compare with bmw's and she hated everything about it, from comments of bland to too soft of a car.

She built it her way and loves the hell out of the car. Only regret was not getting the track pack, but she was hesitant getting blue calipers on a white car with corral red. Kinda turned her off with that color pallet if Ya know what I mean.
      03-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Bruce
But, it is still more weight for engine to have to push around and over the front end for that same suspension to cope with, and does change the steering feel. Also, more cost, maintenance, and potential repair. I realize we can likely all afford it as we're buying BMWs, but with the Blizzaks, it's so unnecessary, especially as it's possible need is of such limited duration each winter. For the six prior years with a RWD MB C Class, I read a lot of comments about how helpful 4MATIC is supposed to be (and have one on an E Class), but in practice, RWD and Blizzaks never failed me in winter, and kept up with my wife's E in the same weather (also on Blizzaks). On some much higher performance cars, AWD can help get the power to the ground, but on a 2, probably not needed IMHO.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #43
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Bruce
But, it is still more weight for engine to have to push around and over the front end for that same suspension to cope with, and does change the steering feel. Also, more cost, maintenance, and potential repair. I realize we can likely all afford it as we're buying BMWs, but with the Blizzaks, it's so unnecessary, especially as it's possible need is of such limited duration each winter. For the six prior years with a RWD MB C Class, I read a lot of comments about how helpful 4MATIC is supposed to be (and have one on an E Class), but in practice, RWD and Blizzaks never failed me in winter, and kept up with my wife's E in the same weather (also on Blizzaks). On some much higher performance cars, AWD can help get the power to the ground, but on a 2, probably not needed IMHO.
Yeah her transfer case wen out in her 328xi and your statement is right in right there as far as maintenance goes. Covered under warr of course! I saw, the bill it was like a 3k jobbie YIKES!!

She pretty much hated the way her 328xi felt bogged down so to speak. I told her it's just the nature of AWD at low speed.

And like you mentioned blizzaks on flat plains no mountains you're pretty much good. I got her the new WS80's and they were amazing. Far better then any winter tire I've ran thus far.
      03-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Only regret was not getting the track pack, but she was hesitant getting blue calipers on a white car with corral red. Kinda turned her off with that color pallet if Ya know what I mean.
Next time around, there's an easy solution. The dealer had the calipers painted to match my car so they did not stay blue, per my request. This was done as part of new car prep....we have a great dealer!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0