THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M235i xDrive vs Audi S3

03-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #67
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
My God how bad is the Audi sound system (BO nonetheless) if the author thinks the crappy HK system in our cars is superior?
Right?

The HK is ok, but certainly nothing to write home about.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #68
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I'm an Audi fan but have you even driven an xdrive? I gather it's really good.
I owned a 2013 535i xdrive. didn't like it, number one of the reason i sold the car
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #69
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboost View Post
I owned a 2013 535i xdrive. didn't like it, number one of the reason i sold the car
That was 2013. I'm pretty sure they've made some changes. I've always preferred Quattro.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #70
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
No, there was no x drive available yet on the 2 series when we test drove. However it was available to order as an option back in July when we secured an allocation.

She didn't want it. She's a bit on the enthusiast side of the dynamic feel of a compared average girl now days. She drove my car with blizzaks and determined it was sufficient with an added comment of knowing she's miss x drive in certain scenarios.

I had her drive an A4 to compare with bmw's and she hated everything about it, from comments of bland to too soft of a car.

She built it her way and loves the hell out of the car. Only regret was not getting the track pack, but she was hesitant getting blue calipers on a white car with corral red. Kinda turned her off with that color pallet if Ya know what I mean.
Glad to hear you guys ordered what you want.

I don't think you can make assumptions about handling / dynamics of xDrive in the 2 series based on experience with xDrive in a 3 series. If you guys had done a driving comparison between the two versions, I would have been very interested in your impressions.

Bruce
      03-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #71
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
But, it is still more weight for engine to have to push around and over the front end for that same suspension to cope with, and does change the steering feel. Also, more cost, maintenance, and potential repair. I realize we can likely all afford it as we're buying BMWs, but with the Blizzaks, it's so unnecessary, especially as it's possible need is of such limited duration each winter. For the six prior years with a RWD MB C Class, I read a lot of comments about how helpful 4MATIC is supposed to be (and have one on an E Class), but in practice, RWD and Blizzaks never failed me in winter, and kept up with my wife's E in the same weather (also on Blizzaks). On some much higher performance cars, AWD can help get the power to the ground, but on a 2, probably not needed IMHO.
Wasn't trying to get into a comparison of xDrive vs RWD. I was trying to point out that comparing xDrive to RWD in a 2 series is different than the comparison for a 3 series.

I find it intriguing that with the M235i, you can now have two otherwise identical cars (exterior, interior, engine, suspension, wheels & tires, brakes, AT, steering, ...) where the only difference is AWD vs RWD.

They are not the same, there are pros and cons to each. I would be very interested in objective driving impressions between the two.

Bruce
      03-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #72
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Glad to hear you guys ordered what you want.

I don't think you can make assumptions about handling / dynamics of xDrive in the 2 series based on experience with xDrive in a 3 series. If you guys had done a driving comparison between the two versions, I would have been very interested in your impressions.

Bruce
I totally agree. You absolutely can't get that same feel in a 3er. The closest comparison and perspective I can give is the 2 is a much better car dynamically. Her 228i feels son much crisper then my 335i. It just feels like it wants to turn and hug the corners. As with my 335 it's very good but takes some getting use to that big car feel and it feels way heavier. The 335 how'ever does have a better ride, but that's due to the wheelbase obviously. I would assume that the M235xi vs a 335xi the comparison would bep retty much like my statement above, the 235xi wins every time.

Last year I test drive an M235i for the ultimate drive event and I instantly wanted to give up my 335i for it. But my logical side said WAIT out the M2!!

I would rather drive her car if it were always available to me because its so nimble, but I just need that I6 soundtrack. And she gets way more comments and compliments. I don't think anyone has ever said to me anything about my 335. Lol.

I think the 2 series is a remarkable car and will keep growing in its segment. It's no accident it dethroned the 3 series in motor trends 10 best! Just wait until the M2 comes out!
      03-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #73
williesm
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Just ordered my M235ix. I trust the reliability more than the S3.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #74
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

First year production of S3 prevented me from pulling the trigger, and no chance to sit in the super sport seats. M235i x-drive FTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #75
brennok
Rep
Drives: MKV R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantDwarf View Post
Hello all. I'm the writer / photographer of the comparison test and I like all the discussion around the story, but wanted to clarify a few points.

2) I did not say the Audi doesn't come with iPod connectivity. I said it would not connect / play an iPod classic, which it wouldn't. A newer iPod nano worked.
Just a point of clarification on the S3. Apparently the S3 will work with the iPod Classic, but requires the older cable. The newer cable is supposed to work but doesn't actually support the Classic. The cables have blue or red on them, but only the older blue cable supports the Classic though it won't support artwork.

I am cross shopping the Golf R, S3, and M235i possibly with Xdrive and still rely on my iPod Classic. I still need to test drive the Golf R and M235i though. Unfortunately no Xdrive models locally to see if I like how it feels compared to RWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #76
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Since this is bumped back up, I'll jump in now that I've had my 235xi for about four months. I never did test drive the S3 because I wasn't interested in a 4 cylinder with FWD biased Quattro, but now I wish I had at least driven it. I do get a little annoyed when people say generic things like Quattro is better, because there are different Quattro systems and different xDrive variants as well. Quattro on the S3 is Haldex and is nothing like the bigger Audis which are Torsen based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Did you or your wife test drive an xDrive 2 series?

There has been a paradigm shift at BMW w.r.t. xDrive in the 2 series and 6 series- both offer the same sport suspension in xDrive as they do in RWD.

That's not the case with the 3 series, so I can understand preferring RWD over xDrive for that car.

Bruce
This is the key that many people are missing when they think they know how bad an xDrive 235i will be. It is not the same suspension or torque split tuning as the 3 and 5 series of old (or current?). It is very difficult for me to find understeer and very easy for me to purposefully oversteer, especially in the wet. The car feels very balanced despite the (gasp!) 1% difference in front to rear weight ratio compared to its RWD sibling.

Aside from boatloads of straight line and corner traction, the only way I know it's AWD is that steering feels a bit heavier as the front wheels are also driving the car. Corrections to hooning oversteer are slightly more difficult because the car is like "why are you fighting this? You wanted to turn hard this way, right?" The torque steer is minimal, but that's something that isn't even present at all with RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
But, it is still more weight for engine to have to push around and over the front end for that same suspension to cope with, and does change the steering feel. Also, more cost, maintenance, and potential repair. I realize we can likely all afford it as we're buying BMWs, but with the Blizzaks, it's so unnecessary, especially as it's possible need is of such limited duration each winter. For the six prior years with a RWD MB C Class, I read a lot of comments about how helpful 4MATIC is supposed to be (and have one on an E Class), but in practice, RWD and Blizzaks never failed me in winter, and kept up with my wife's E in the same weather (also on Blizzaks). On some much higher performance cars, AWD can help get the power to the ground, but on a 2, probably not needed IMHO.
People always say this and I can't completely disagree, but you have to factor in your driving environment. If you live with hills and mountains, the game changes. You can't poo-poo snow when you live on a hill that you have to climb a few hundred feet to get up or when downtown hills are so steep that even rain can get a car with shitty tires stuck. Or if it's 30-50F with wet roads virtually all winter long and wet roads in general 9 months out of the year.

So yeah, RWD with good snow tires works great some places but in others you've got more to worry about and AWD can make things a whole lot easier when you have to get around and you like to do it quickly. I still put winter tires on my car even with AWD. Just makes it that much better in the winter.

My bottom line on my car is that I love it for the speed, traction, handling, and ease of use. I don't like it because it isn't very exciting. Even with performance exhaust it's a very dull sounding car, but this is coming from someone who misses his S65 M3 every day. I'm guessing the S3 isn't much more exciting either, although it at least has a DSG.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #77
roastdukz
Rep
Drives: coupe

Can i add to this as well?

Goin car shoppin tomorrow, and i narrowed it down to a :

2015 Audi S3 for 43k NEW
2014 BMW M235i 40k Certified Pre Own w/5900 miles
2016 BMW 228i xdrive and maybe a
2016 Lexus IS 200t RWD 40K NEW or the IS300 AWD 42k

I would love to get the M235i as my first choice but when i looked at BMW inventory's within a 30 mile radius from my zip code and they only have 2016 M235i xdrives in stock and they avg 53k, unfortunately i do not want to spend more than 45k, even 45k is kinda pushin it for me.

I dont drive as much so i rather lease if i get it new since i avg bout only 5k-6k a year (I work in the city so i drive to the train station 10 min drive and take the train from there)

I prefer all wheel, but i guess its okay to get rear wheel since my sister has the Audi Q3 and i have a nissan suv thats also awd.

Im going to go and attempt to test drive all those cars and see how it feels

If i really cant decide maybe i should jus throw the cars in a hat and jus pick one at random, 1st choice wins?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #78
brennok
Rep
Drives: MKV R32

Not sure if you are quoting MSRP or what you think you can get.

At 5-6k everything I have read says to finance since you will be better off in resale since usually you have to lease for 10k minimum, and compared to no real benefit on the lease at that low of mileage. I may be wrong though since I rarely look into leasing.

The S3s you can usually get for around 6% off, guaranteed if you join ACNA but have to wait 6 months, and definitely more if it is a 2015. Here they have a fully loaded 2015 S3 marked down from 53k to 47k. At the very least you should look for one with the black optics package or 19" performance pack for the magnetic ride.

I personally found the IS too tight in the shoulder room and for everything I read it is more of a luxary cruiser. Performance is supposed to be disappointing though Lexus does seem to hold really good resale if that matters to you.
Appreciate 0