THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Jb4 map zero broken dealer visit

10-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
Jmo550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' X5

Jb4 map zero broken dealer visit

Well long story short my outer tie went,
Can?t drive it so it being towed to dealer currently waiting
I put in map 0 so it?s undetectable.

Question is should I leave the obd connect still plugged in or no?

Please help

Thanks in advance !!
      10-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Unplug the obd cable, just in case, only takes a minute.. My $.02, GL with the repairs!

D
      10-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Even if it's on map 0 and OBDII unplugged it's still pretty detectable. All they have to do is open the hood (or wherever you installed it). Best thing to do is just take it out, especially if they're doing any work on it because a dealer will usually run a full check on the vehicle while it's there (at least that's what the did to mine).

I have heard than do oil samples to check for a tune even if you completely uninstall it but who knows.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Jmo550
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys , we?ll find out tomorrow. I unplugged the obd and put in on map zero .

It?s literally under body work so not that concerned
      10-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Correct me if I am wrong, but won't unplugging it from the obd mess things up?

I don't think the harness will just " passthrough" the sensors when it is not on?

Won't it basically be running the car with none of those sensors plugged in?
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post

I don't think the harness will just " passthrough" the sensors when it is not on?

If it's set to Map0 first, it shouldn't be a problem.

And tune detection typically happens when they dealership plugs in their scan tool. Provided you're on the stock map, you'll be fine. Never heard of oil samples to detect tunes, I mean, that's pretty far fetched, IMO..
      10-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

yowzers. good luck man. I would definitely have removed it.

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post

If it's set to Map0 first, it shouldn't be a problem.

And tune detection typically happens when they dealership plugs in their scan tool. Provided you're on the stock map, you'll be fine. Never heard of oil samples to detect tunes, I mean, that's pretty far fetched, IMO..
I agree but I remember reading it on one of those long threads on here about tunes being (un)detectable. I'm sure if it is even a thing they'd only do it if you completely blow an engine. Still a good thing to keep in mind though.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmax500 View Post
I agree but I remember reading it on one of those long threads on here about tunes being (un)detectable. I'm sure if it is even a thing they'd only do it if you completely blow an engine. Still a good thing to keep in mind though.
You just want to protect yourself, when possible. They sometimes do us "favours", like "hey, while we did your oil change, we also updated your X module and gave you a software update". This is where you don't want anything hooked up in terms of a piggy back. With it set to Map0, and unplugged, it's the closest to being "fully removed", without being removed..

I take my car to the dealer with FBO mods on it, meth lines and all, and they're cool. Just get the occasional warning, that "if you come in for software updates, or pricey warranty repairs, remove everything we can see. Otherwise, we love what you've done to the car!"

They are a Dinan dealer, they get the whole JB4 thing, so they just advise to remove mods when coming in for warranty work. If you get scanned while on Map2, you may be F'd pretty quick, or at least "flagged". At this point, there's no going back, at a cheap cost.

If you can afford to mod it, you can afford to fix it. That's the philosophy I take with modding cars when under warranty. If I blow my turbo being FBO, etc, I wouldn't try to have the dealer replace it. I'd do it myself and save the grief of arguing with SA's or regional Reps. If I threw a rod through the block, well, I'd put it back to full stock setup and tow it to the dealer, lol..
      10-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

This has come up again and again and again. Remove it, Keep it in, its not going to make a difference. Dont matter if you have JB4, BootMod3, Active autoworks tune, Dinan, w/e.. BMW can still detect a tune even after its been un-plugged. BMW has been cracking down on picking up tunes alot over the past few years. Even remove the JB4 and put the vehicle back to Stock, if the vehicle is scanned and FASTA data is sent back to BMW HQ from the dealer in regards to a repair then bmw can see the data sent..if they choose to look it up.

You want me personal Opinion.. Talk to the service advisor or if u can, talk with the tech working on the vehicle and explain to them that you have a tune in your vehicle. To be honest 90% of us techs dont really care if the vehicle has a tune in it or not.
The only time it comes to be a problem is when We need to scan the vehicle to run test plans...and the scanner can not connect to any of the modules in the vehicle..then it becomes and issue. Put it back on the Stock map and like i said.. if possible talk to the tech.

From your original post it seems like the outer tie rod end went - If they are just replacing the tie rod assy - they shouldnt have to scan it - unless you have a drivetrain malfunction control message on for w/e reason. Just put the part in and do a wheel alignment.

if they are replacing the entire Steering gear - you need to remove the JB4 from the vehicle completely because with installation of the new Steering gear - Programing/complete encoding is required. If the JB4 is installed when this goes on - it can damage the JB4 (so i've Read)

Hope things work out for ya
Appreciate 6
EEBreh122.50
M-terkait210.00
harkes1078.00
      10-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

^^^ Right from the horses mouth, thanks Taunto!
      10-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Jmo550
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Taunto, very well put . I?m sure it won?t be a problem only thing was if they would be able to read my Ecu for updates etc if they had too plug in there scanner need to be .

Thanks a lot , cleared a lot of doubts !
      10-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #13
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
You can't just unplug the OBDII port if you still have the harnesses connected. It will throw other codes when they start it up. Then they have even more reason to take a closer look. The harnesses are not passive; they are active and need the JB4 to work as a pass through.

Better to leave it on map 0 with the port still plugged in.

You should have completely removed it from the car. It takes like 15 minutes.

Last edited by Anthony235; 10-11-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
Jmo550
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What do you mean I put it on map zero and then unplugged the obd , no codes . Even drove straight up onto the flat bed
      10-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo550 View Post
What do you mean I put it on map zero and then unplugged the obd , no codes . Even drove straight up onto the flat bed
I think you're correct. It's been awhile, but I think my code was related to not having a cat

Makes it a pain to try and get the free maintenance done on my car. Don't want them taking a closer look at the ECU if the CEL pops up while at the dealer because I have the JB4 disabled. So I just go to one of the many shops in my area for maintenance.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      10-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the JB4 is put to map 0, allowed to go to sleep (locked for 15 min or so) then unplug the OBD2 and hide it up under the dash you should be fine. If you don't have a down pipe then you will not get errors logged. If you have a DP then your gonna already have codes
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
This has come up again and again and again. Remove it, Keep it in, its not going to make a difference. Dont matter if you have JB4, BootMod3, Active autoworks tune, Dinan, w/e.. BMW can still detect a tune even after its been un-plugged. BMW has been cracking down on picking up tunes alot over the past few years. Even remove the JB4 and put the vehicle back to Stock, if the vehicle is scanned and FASTA data is sent back to BMW HQ from the dealer in regards to a repair then bmw can see the data sent..if they choose to look it up.

You want me personal Opinion.. Talk to the service advisor or if u can, talk with the tech working on the vehicle and explain to them that you have a tune in your vehicle. To be honest 90% of us techs dont really care if the vehicle has a tune in it or not.
The only time it comes to be a problem is when We need to scan the vehicle to run test plans...and the scanner can not connect to any of the modules in the vehicle..then it becomes and issue. Put it back on the Stock map and like i said.. if possible talk to the tech.

From your original post it seems like the outer tie rod end went - If they are just replacing the tie rod assy - they shouldnt have to scan it - unless you have a drivetrain malfunction control message on for w/e reason. Just put the part in and do a wheel alignment.

if they are replacing the entire Steering gear - you need to remove the JB4 from the vehicle completely because with installation of the new Steering gear - Programing/complete encoding is required. If the JB4 is installed when this goes on - it can damage the JB4 (so i've Read)

How do you mean they can detect a tune if nothing is written to the ECU? Explain.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
H3G0N3_F22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:

This is an absolute true statement when it comes to needed repairs or servicing at BMW. Bottom line is just like you want them to be fair, honest and up front with you, you should also be willing to do the same. Be prepared also to come out of pocket for any related/PROVEN issue caused by any of your current modifications on or off the car. Price to pay if you want to play, otherwise maintain an OEM vehicle until all warranties have expired. In my most recent visit, my service advisor and I had the discussion right after he said good morning. Come to find out he had a modded BMW 335i. Even with my JB4 and Ki**yless DP and other mods, I was still able to get all my service interval maintenance done to include new OEM brake pads, spark plugs, and a new instrument cluster gauge that had gone bad. Good luck on your repairs and BMW service experience, hopefully all this will work itself out and have you back on the road in no time.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspeed23 View Post
This is an absolute true statement when it comes to needed repairs or servicing at BMW. Bottom line is just like you want them to be fair, honest and up front with you, you should also be willing to do the same. Be prepared also to come out of pocket for any related/PROVEN issue caused by any of your current modifications on or off the car. Price to pay if you want to play, otherwise maintain an OEM vehicle until all warranties have expired. In my most recent visit, my service advisor and I had the discussion right after he said good morning. Come to find out he had a modded BMW 335i. Even with my JB4 and Ki**yless DP and other mods, I was still able to get all my service interval maintenance done to include new OEM brake pads, spark plugs, and a new instrument cluster gauge that had gone bad. Good luck on your repairs and BMW service experience, hopefully all this will work itself out and have you back on the road in no time.
with did you get spark plugs ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
How do you mean they can detect a tune if nothing is written to the ECU? Explain.
When we Scan a Vehicle with our testers, we Can see most data in the vehicle along with doing test plans commanding electronic components ect. But When we close the Session ( disconnecting the scanner from the vehicle) The Data that was pulled from the Scan tool is sent back to BMW HQ Hard drives for them to access if needed. There they can see alot more data than we can, and it also helps them pay out for warranty claims.. for example, if a technician says performed miss fire detection test plan and found fault with a fuel injector in cylinder 1... And they clocked 1 hour diagnosis time for warranty. BMW HQ during their Audits can look back into that Session and test plan..and it will show them all the steps the tech did, how long they spent in that specific test plan ECT.
Like i said, the data that is sent back to BMW is usually filled with much more information than what we can generally see.
For me, when i scan a vehicle and if the vehicle has a JB4 connected and say its on Map 2 or or w/e...Almost all the modules in the vehicle will not connect to the scan tool and have very limited data to read, from here, i just take a quick look to see if there is in fact a JB4 installed, Close the session, Cycle the ignition and Set the vehicle to MAP 0, and re-scan the vehicle.

Like i said, me and alot of techs dont really care if the vehicle is tunned and has stuff on it, me personally i enjoy it and find it good to see. You will come across some techs that are very against those sort of things and will find any way possible to turn the repair from Warranty claim to Customer pay - so they can make more money. If your up front about it and even have a chance to speak with the tech on the vehicle about it even better. If bmw wants to deny warranty due to a third party accessory installed - they must prove that the part did infact cause the component to fail - I.E. Vehicle has a tune and the engine blows up... BMW can see increased Cam timing, increase boost levels, fuel pressure w/e it may be...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #21
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
When we Scan a Vehicle with our testers, we Can see most data in the vehicle along with doing test plans commanding electronic components ect. But When we close the Session ( disconnecting the scanner from the vehicle) The Data that was pulled from the Scan tool is sent back to BMW HQ Hard drives for them to access if needed. There they can see alot more data than we can, and it also helps them pay out for warranty claims.. for example, if a technician says performed miss fire detection test plan and found fault with a fuel injector in cylinder 1... And they clocked 1 hour diagnosis time for warranty. BMW HQ during their Audits can look back into that Session and test plan..and it will show them all the steps the tech did, how long they spent in that specific test plan ECT.
Like i said, the data that is sent back to BMW is usually filled with much more information than what we can generally see.
For me, when i scan a vehicle and if the vehicle has a JB4 connected and say its on Map 2 or or w/e...Almost all the modules in the vehicle will not connect to the scan tool and have very limited data to read, from here, i just take a quick look to see if there is in fact a JB4 installed, Close the session, Cycle the ignition and Set the vehicle to MAP 0, and re-scan the vehicle.

Like i said, me and alot of techs dont really care if the vehicle is tunned and has stuff on it, me personally i enjoy it and find it good to see. You will come across some techs that are very against those sort of things and will find any way possible to turn the repair from Warranty claim to Customer pay - so they can make more money. If your up front about it and even have a chance to speak with the tech on the vehicle about it even better. If bmw wants to deny warranty due to a third party accessory installed - they must prove that the part did infact cause the component to fail - I.E. Vehicle has a tune and the engine blows up... BMW can see increased Cam timing, increase boost levels, fuel pressure w/e it may be...
I get all of this but JB4 dont write any data on the ECU. Are you saying that our ECU´s record data like black boxes on planes, cause thats the only way they can be certain, eg higher boost can be related to many things not tune related same goes for higher voltage to fuel pump etc.

I would like to understand how they can know - eg. what in the car records these readings to makes them CERTAIN, hard facts, and I am talking courtroom certain not "that bracket is missing so there was a JB4 here probably". Thats if you remove the JB4 and car is standard in every other way.(and even then they cant be sure unless they record fueltrims and timings over time and not when the car is in)

I am curious. Thats all.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
I get all of this but JB4 dont write any data on the ECU. Are you saying that our ECU´s record data like black boxes on planes, cause thats the only way they can be certain, eg higher boost can be related to many things not tune related same goes for higher voltage to fuel pump etc.

I would like to understand how they can know - eg. what in the car records these readings to makes them CERTAIN, hard facts, and I am talking courtroom certain not "that bracket is missing so there was a JB4 here probably". Thats if you remove the JB4 and car is standard in every other way.(and even then they cant be sure unless they record fueltrims and timings over time and not when the car is in)

I am curious. Thats all.
I understand your points, i was just giving examples. What Exactly tells BMW HQ about parts being installed through the DME and scan tool. i personally dont know. I could ask around but not to sure if i could find a definitive answer for you. its What i've seen, its what i've also heard and was told when on training.

DME's do record data for the most part. It's how we aqquire freeze frame data along with knowing how many times a fault has occurred.

Last edited by Taunto; 10-27-2017 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1