THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan M235i Tune

07-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #155
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ
It wasnt aimed at you i was one of the first to ask for dyno sheets. in general i'm just noticing there's a decent amount of hating on this forum.

It would be nice to keep it technical or at minimum do your research prior to posting useless comments.

As a consultant I've learned noise is useless...do your research and stick to facts. If the facts are missing call Dinan and get us some details (like I have been trying to do). Thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharo1 View Post
So far I've learn more from critics in this forum than those that happily embrace products, no questions asked.

I don't think this is a haters forum because we love our BMWs and a lot of us love modding our Bimmers. But love doesn't come without questions, concerns, and criticism.

Is asking for dyno results too much for Dinan? Is having questions about hp/tq too much for their engineers/hackers? So they release a 2k tune and just because it says DINAN we embrace it?

We bought a BMW over a Ford for many reasons.
Who'd you talk to over there? I spoke with the PA rep (forget his name) but he was super responsive and helpful. I didn't ask all the stuff you guys want to know because I figured it was posted on the site (I was wrong) but they seemed like straight shooters.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #156
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
It wasnt aimed at you i was one of the first to ask for dyno sheets. in general i'm just noticing there's a decent amount of hating on this forum.

It would be nice to keep it technical or at minimum do your research prior to posting useless comments.

As a consultant I've learned noise is useless...do your research and stick to facts. If the facts are missing call Dinan and get us some details (like I have been trying to do). Thats all

l.o.l
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #157
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

dinan does good work. they are not known for exaggeration. i expect the early adopters will be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #158
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Anyone seen Dinan Stage 1 dynos for other BMWs to see how they compare vs a stock run and vs Dinan's claims? Can't seem to find any Stage 1 dynos vs stock but I did find a Stage 2 on a 135i.

With the Stage 2, Dinan claims +78HP and +115TQ for a total output of 378HP and 415TQ (up from 300HP/300TQ stock). Someone dyno'd their stock car and then the Stage 2 and got +36 WHP and +57WTQ. Not that encouraging.

Interesting thing is, and what I was getting at earlier, is that the stock car made 267WHP and 276WTQ which is about 315HP @ crank and 325TQ @ crank while the Dinan tune made 357HP @ crank and 392TQ @ crank.
If you compare the Dinan crank numbers to BMW's number claims, then it looks like a gain of +57HP and +92TQ, not quite +78/+115 but much closer than the real gain of +42HP and +67TQ.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407408

07-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #159
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Have you guys read the fine prints of dinans warranty to justify this price? Just checking and not complaining
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #160
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Spoke to a Dinan rep a week ago and I was less interested in the product than before the call.

He gave no details on actual power figures...it was just a song and dance how they came to the figure from countless hours of testing until it was perfected to Steve's liking. There will be no support for additional mods beyond an intake and muffler (which amount to almost nothing). No data logging capability. No user changeable maps for different fuels. No code clearing.

They simply derived their HP figure from a dyno of roughly 320 WHP. Considering these cars dyno at or a hair above 300 RWHP, you're looking at an earth shattering gain of 20 RWHP. Oh...but there's a warranty LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #161
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

I don't think we can really say what the gain was, even if the HP figure is derived from a 320WHP dyno run. People on here have posted their dyno figures and they ranged from 276WHP to 305WHP so you'd have to know what Dinan's stock car put down before you can say how much it gained.
      07-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #162
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

I spoke to a gentleman named Scott (I'm pretty sure he handles NJ). When you call it will ask you for your state. It will then route you to a rep I'm assuming depending on where you are located.

If I don't receive the dyno graphs or the baseline numbers for the car they used I will call back tomorrow.

I will say this he did not mention anything about a Stage 2 and I specifically asked. He said this is it for now and to take into consideration once I have the hardware I'll be able to update.

I also asked him his thoughts on the JB4 and why Dinan is better. He basically said that they are selling us a processor that is adjusting counters (all the necessary ones) to ensure the car is not running lean, rich or faulting. He mentioned that most of the piggyback tunes trick the ECU to allow for more boost while at the same time clearing codes and CELs. Air and Fuel mixture is not adjusted the way it should be. As for me there is NO WAY I'm putting a rig on my car just to make it faster. This is the 3rd car I'm going to tune and I've learned that going cheap on the tune can be pretty deadly (I've typically dyno tuned only).

I'll keep you posted on what else I find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Who'd you talk to over there? I spoke with the PA rep (forget his name) but he was super responsive and helpful. I didn't ask all the stuff you guys want to know because I figured it was posted on the site (I was wrong) but they seemed like straight shooters.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #163
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Another consideration not all dynos produce the same numbers. A mustang dyno will show conservative numbers while a dynojet will not. It all comes down to how they simulate the load of the road, air quality, temp, etc...

I'm hoping Dinan will produce their baselines other than that we have a bunch of assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #164
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Agreed, which is why a lot of us want to see their dyno chart...to see what they got as a base and after.

Also, did you have a chance to ask the rep if there is any learning curve or are the gains immediate?
      07-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #165
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

No but I will tomorrow. I'm also waiting on my local Dinan dealer for his recommendation on whether to wait or go with it. The local tuner was a straight shooter and basically said that he needed to do his own research before he committed to doing the work.

I'll keep you guys posted. It would of been nice if we organized a list to submit over to Dinan. I think that would be productive to all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Agreed, which is why a lot of us want to see their dyno chart...to see what they got as a base and after.

Also, did you have a chance to ask the rep if there is any learning curve or are the gains immediate?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #166
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Little off topic but here is Manharts stage 3 for the M235i !! Not yet released to the general public ... except a few LOL
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #167
samtnel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Alpine White

I'm thinking about getting the Dinan spring set but not sure how the 1" drop in the back will look with stock tires. It looks great with the 19"+ that Dinan has in their promo pics. I have 15mm spacers in the back so not even sure they will work together without rubbing. Anyway, if anyone has pics of the springs with stock tires please post. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #168
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to a gentleman named Scott (I'm pretty sure he handles NJ). When you call it will ask you for your state. It will then route you to a rep I'm assuming depending on where you are located.

If I don't receive the dyno graphs or the baseline numbers for the car they used I will call back tomorrow.

I will say this he did not mention anything about a Stage 2 and I specifically asked. He said this is it for now and to take into consideration once I have the hardware I'll be able to update.

I also asked him his thoughts on the JB4 and why Dinan is better. He basically said that they are selling us a processor that is adjusting counters (all the necessary ones) to ensure the car is not running lean, rich or faulting. He mentioned that most of the piggyback tunes trick the ECU to allow for more boost while at the same time clearing codes and CELs. Air and Fuel mixture is not adjusted the way it should be. As for me there is NO WAY I'm putting a rig on my car just to make it faster. This is the 3rd car I'm going to tune and I've learned that going cheap on the tune can be pretty deadly (I've typically dyno tuned only).

Quote:
The guys at Bimmerworks, Thompson and a few other folks I called all said the same thing about Dinan vs JB4. Granted these are Dinan dealers I'm talking to but it's at least mildly reassuring that they're all saying the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #169
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

I feel bad for the people that buy these cars on the used market. Car is basically running wrong the entire time the piggyback tune is on the car. If they feel different they should register their vins since most here feel confident the tune is an improvement for their cars.

my car will be full disclosure if I ever sell it.

Quote:
The guys at Bimmerworks, Thompson and a few other folks I called all said the same thing about Dinan vs JB4. Granted these are Dinan dealers I'm talking to but it's at least mildly reassuring that they're all saying the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #170
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtnel View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Dinan spring set but not sure how the 1" drop in the back will look with stock tires. It looks great with the 19"+ that Dinan has in their promo pics. I have 15mm spacers in the back so not even sure they will work together without rubbing. Anyway, if anyone has pics of the springs with stock tires please post. thanks!
Yeah, the springs look interesting as I really don't care for a huge drop because of what it does to driveability.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #171
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

ROFL @ the level of n00b in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #172
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
ROFL @ the level of n00b in this thread.
Thanks for the excellent contribution to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #173
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #174
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
You should call your rep and tell him we don't need help anymore, that cleared everything up
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #175
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post

I'm not sure if im reading this right but you asked a dinan dealer why their product is better? lol… I wouldn't consider the JB4 a rig. it seems pretty tunable from what i can see. is dinans ecu fully tunable, or are they just giving out flash updates?

either way, its your money. i don't think theres a right or wrong way to spend it. some people are satisfied dumping cash on few measly ponies, but id rather drive like a rocket and to its limits for a few years and return it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #176
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
So what does dinan do differently should be the question to ask. From what I know (excuse me if Im not an expert) that all tunes, piggyback or ecu flash, etc all does the same thing...what we call an off the shelf tune. Of course ecu flash is usually the cleaner option and some tuners might also tune other parts of the engine. I dont see anything different here other than the warranty.

The best tune is to do an on site tune and a dyno to see the results. Anyways I would like to know what is the special ingredient from dinan, if any

For $2300 install price, i would much rather spent it on the LSD where this car needs the most...imo
Appreciate 0