THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Cost M240i and M2

03-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #67
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

In its long term fleet, the latest car and driver says this:

"Blame the lethargic odo on the stiff ride, the M2's logbook filling with complaints about aching backs and sore necks and wishes that we could trade the M2's punishing ride for that of the suppler M240i". "In no car but the M2 does every bump jiggle the cord so much that is causes the radar detector to reboot"
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #68
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby P View Post

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that the M2 is a more driver focused car, but for most people the 240 is more "livable".
I'll agree with your statement knowing the validation phrase to keep in mind is ".. for most people...".

This topic is quite lengthy on the M2 forum its interesting reading for sure but it all boils down to personal driving preferences. If I can turn back the hands of time I would have waited and pulled the trigger on the M2. So for now I'll stop complaining and enjoy what I have. I probably should apologize to my car, it's not an M2 but she is still a beast in her own right, think I'll feed her Ethanol free 93 OCT for a while.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #69
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

The biggest reason to choose the m240i over the M2 right now is the engine.

I'd rather have the B58 over the older N55.

If needed I can update the suspension, brakes, wheels to give me a closer M2 experience.
Appreciate 1
Bobby P88.50
      03-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #70
socotra123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i; 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
I've driven both and the M2 didn't really wow me. The m240i did, because it is a lot of car for the money. Out of the box, I would say the M2 is a much more competent car. But with the little I've done to my m240i, I will argue that it is now more competent than the M2. THe only thing the m240i lacks is enough space to put more rubber down, it is way too narrow. Oh, and the offsets are too high so it is pretty difficult finding off the shelf wheels for the car.

A good indication of demand is always the price. Last summer, the M2s were still trading at MSRP for a gently used car and allocations at MSRP were tough to come by. Now, it looks like a used M2 is roughly $10k+ off of MSRP and dealers are discounting new cars. I am sure glad I didn't keep my allocation since part of the reason I wanted to buy it was value retention. Now it is depreciating like any other car.
I agree: I drove both M2 and M240 and it wasn't a close decision in my opinion. I just didn't see anything to justify M2 cost over M240, let alone anything dramatic on performance. Having owned my M240 for only a little over 3 weeks now, I can hands down say it is thus far my favorite BMW I have ever owned.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #71
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

M2 should have little more exclusive M features like M individual setting buttons and adaptive suspension.

Put all of that M exclusive features at a cost right under the base M3 would have make more sense.

Fully loaded M2 with all of that features (maybe little more hp, ~390hp) at $63~64k would be perfect price point.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #72
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
M2 should have little more exclusive M features like M individual setting buttons and adaptive suspension.

Put all of that M exclusive features at a cost right under the base M3 would have make more sense.

Fully loaded M2 with all of that features (maybe little more hp, ~390hp) at $63~64k would be perfect price point.
That will be the M2 competition - it will start at low 60K USD and the dealers are likley to add mark up and other fees. As I believe they will be a limited run.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #73
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Road and Track did a write up a little over a year ago on this, and what all the drivers agreed on was that for the money, the 228i(230i now) is the best overall value. With that being said, the 240i and M2 do offer higher performance, but as a daily driver, whether or not the extra money is worth it is debatable.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #74
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
Road and Track did a write up a little over a year ago on this, and what all the drivers agreed on was that for the money, the 228i(230i now) is the best overall value. With that being said, the 240i and M2 do offer higher performance, but as a daily driver, whether or not the extra money is worth it is debatable.
R&T were being contrarian for clickbaiting with that one. The 4 banger is ridiculously expensive to try to add meaningful power to once you get tired of it's limitations

I put mine in eco pro some nights when I commute home but that doesn't mean I don't have it in sport + 90% of the time - and still needed 150 HP of extra passing power to feel safe getting around some dipshit bad drivers
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #75
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I've spent a lot of time on this section of the forums. Not surprised this conversation is still going on.

I've owned the M235i and now an M2 so here is my experience.

I spent a lot of money on my M235i. Enough money for a Dinan badge, was considering getting an LSD, a stage 2 tune, and the exhaust from the M2 someone was selling on here. I remember researching ways to alter my rear valance to fit the quad tailpipes.

I realize now I was trying to make my M235i into an M2 or as close to it as I could. I also made the mistake of test driving the M2 and comparing it to my modded M235i. I didn't even push the M2 that hard.

To make a long story short. Life is short, and I think you should just get what you want. If you're happy with the M235i/M240 and don't want to spend the money on the M2, that's awesome, enjoy your car. They're great cars.

For me, I really like the look and styling of the M2, and it's what I wanted deep down from the beginning. The only mods I'm doing is an MPE and drop-in air filter. I'm fine with the car the way it is. I don't care about the extra money because it's what I wanted.

On how the driving characteristics compare. I did one HPDE in my M235i, and picked my M2 up at the performance center. From the short course at the BMW performance center I could tell the M2 was different, almost scary different. You can really push the car and it complies.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #76
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Depends how you want to use your car and for what - I only drive for/to work and maybe once a while head to the mountains. I find that i can't even use the 240 to half its potential on daily drives. Folks who enjoy track or enjoy more aggressive experience by all means get the full M.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      08-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #77
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Glad I found this thread, a lot of info is useless to me or just opinions from ppl reading the internet but maybe I can get some insight by sharing my dilemma..

Here is my usage:

- NO Daily driving, Summer ONLY, I use the car occasionnaly in the week and mostly on the weekend when weather is nice
- I do around 6-12 track days per season and sometimes drive 3hrs or more to get there.
- I frequent the local 1/8 mile track at least 15-20 times per season.
- My driving will total around 5000-7000km per season depending on activities

What I drive now and my perception of it:
- 2015 M235i Xdrive M Performance Special Edition 1/50 in Canada
- 61 000km on it, full warranty until March 2019 + 2yrs Extended Powertrain warranty
- Car is Red and gets lots of attention, ppl always think its an M car because of bodywork and sound etc. I like this but sometimes I'd feel better parking a black or gray car at work (I am the boss/owner)
- I love the performance, I did my fastest ever strip times with, With square agressive tires and some camber its very very potent at the track, even tough awd feels less sporty or tossable it makes up elsewhere (mostly at the drag strip)
- I like that the car is relativly cheap to maintain, rotors are much cheaper tha M's but I am a bit scared of the Xdrive's ability to sustain abuse (read below)
- Problems with the car, when I baught it used around 4000km ago they had just replace the Transfer-Case and its now in the shop for a rear Diff replacement plus front axle seal. The rear Diff was not leaking when I got the car and I am wondering if these intense track days + track passes contributed to it...

My dilemma and reflection:
- Dealer as brand new Mineral Grey M2 thats been collecting dust in the lot for some time, its got the M Perf Carbon exhaust with the rear carbon diffuser, Mineral Gray is my favorite color and its a DCT car like I would want...
- I don't have the price yet but should get it today, salesman told me they could make a huge deal on it (they always say that) I live in a small town and M cars are the opposite spectrum of the demand you normally see in bigger cites/areas

- Why switching to M2 ?
1- Track readiness, add some camber, good tires, pads/fluid and you can beat on it all day long without worrying much
2- Bodywork, those large fenders and deep wheels are just so awsome.
3- The feeling you get when you know you will use the car, since I don't Daily Drive the car every occasion to drive the ''M'' car becomes an event, in the M235i less so..

- M2 Negatives for me:
1- RWD wich will affect drag dtrip performance
2- Consumables, Tires, Rotors (pads are the same), Rear Diff fluid, DCT Fluid etc.
3- Ride Quality, even trough it does'nt affect me much a 3hr drive on bad canadian roads after a full track day when you are tired will get on the nerves..

Somes reflection subjects:
- I can probably replace the transmission/transfer case/rear diff (used parts) 3 times on my M235i before getting to the cost diffrential with the M2
- On the M235i Xdrive with a few more g's in mods I can probably run low 11's 1/4 mile times. On the M2 it will be spin city then drag radials then blown axles then blown diff (wear etc)
- Only engine upgrades are sump baffles (very usefull on track) and little larger turbo wheel but power potential is basically the same so if thinking modding or straight line no upgrade there..
- Same reliable simple engine, Downpipe, intercooler and charge pipe from M235i fit, have to repay MHD license wich sucks but may run it stock for some time, Downpipe sound may be too loud ?

All in all I think I could enjoy the M2 as much I enjoy my M235i but both bring me in different directions, let me explain:

-M235i Xdrive with somes mods is really fast for what it is (Strip Undertaker), no traction problems whatsoever, comfortable when you want it, enaugh sporty to not get bored, Good enaugh manners to have fun at the race track but you often think of what that track would feel like in the M2 (circuit)

-M2 being RWD the power/balance is felt much more, yes it can be tuned as much as any N55 but you don't really want to bring to 500whp. Less comfort, More sportyness, Excellent manners at race track makes you giggle (circuit)

So what I win at the track day in the M2 I lose at the friday night strip in the M235i, I ain't even talking about street because around its useless (cops/speed limits) I know the M235i will do all I need it to do but I think I'll always tinkering about those M2 hips.. I am surpsrised myself to feel so emotionnal about cars, I never felt like this about my 550whp 135i..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #78
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

If I'm being honest with myself, if I was to get an M2 it would be about 90% about the looks for me. The M235 out handles anything I can throw at it and I doubt I would even notice the acceleration difference. But my oh my is it a good looking car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #79
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclone View Post
If I'm being honest with myself, if I was to get an M2 it would be about 90% about the looks for me.
And I'm just the opposite. I agree with you on the M2's looks, but I don't like owning a car that invites attention.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #80
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: M 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
As someone who owned an M2, I agree. But keep in mind that money is not a factor for everyone. For those, the M2 is the way to go. You get that exclusivity, the special color that catches attention, more aggressive looks, sportier performance, etc. All that comes at a cost. The M240i is a better value though.
When you say "special color" I assume you mean turquoise, because there's nothing remotely special about black, white and grey.
Appreciate 0