02-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #397
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
I'm looking to do the install of these two plates. Does any other trim (e.g. c pillar, rear seats etc.) have to come for those main side panels to be removed?
Well, I can speak to the OG M2. Let's figure my recall is reasonable?

Rear seat comes out easily. I think it was pull up on each side and lift out.

The main side panels? There should be a picture somewhere in this thread. I think I pulled the panel out by eyeballing where the clips were and then encouraging the panel ... pulling some ... until it was unclipped everywhere. Sorry that I cannot remember if I "unsnapped" the panel from the clips along the side windows first or not.

The C pillar? Hmm. I think I removed it and then fussed with it to snap it back into place. If memory serves, this trim piece did not need to be removed.

If you can find pictures of the trim pieces, then you should be fine. For me, the hardest part was squeezing into the rear of the car to get the job done!

Sorry this description is a bit vague. Or a lot. I should have taken pictures or jotted down notes :-/
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #398
carcrazydoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 R1S, 911 GTS, E63s Wagon

I did the front hood insulation and the front fender/door insulation pieces in 15-20 minutes total - very easy actually.

Waiting for a warm day when I am off without items on my honey-to-do list and 6-8 hours free to install the 2 trunk, 2 wheel arch and 2 metal pans. Little hesitant but will update with how long it took once I start/complete it. Hopefully I will not need to drive her to my local independent shop for a "rescue".
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #399
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
Quote:
I'm looking to do the install of these two plates. Does any other trim (e.g. c pillar, rear seats etc.) have to come for those main side panels to be removed?
Well, I can speak to the OG M2. Let's figure my recall is reasonable?

Rear seat comes out easily. I think it was pull up on each side and lift out.

The main side panels? There should be a picture somewhere in this thread. I think I pulled the panel out by eyeballing where the clips were and then encouraging the panel ... pulling some ... until it was unclipped everywhere. Sorry that I cannot remember if I "unsnapped" the panel from the clips along the side windows first or not.

The C pillar? Hmm. I think I removed it and then fussed with it to snap it back into place. If memory serves, this trim piece did not need to be removed.

If you can find pictures of the trim pieces, then you should be fine. For me, the hardest part was squeezing into the rear of the car to get the job done!

Sorry this description is a bit vague. Or a lot. I should have taken pictures or jotted down notes :-/
Thanks there. I've been putting this off as I just feel I'll be stuck thinking where the heck to begin! I'm not the most handiest but will look to give it a try based on the descriptions here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #400
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

C-Pillar, Rear Seat and Side Panel R&R

Quote:
Thanks there. I've been putting this off as I just feel I'll be stuck thinking where the heck to begin! I'm not the most handiest but will look to give it a try based on the descriptions here.
Well, I am over-confident and impatient. Balances out ;-) Nothing broke!

If I have managed to get the upload process figured out, there are some good pictures attached to guide one's effort. For amusement? Whatever works.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Zeese; 02-04-2021 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 4
flybigjet6909.50
admranger2998.00
      02-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #401
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
These? Similar the OG M2 #6 below?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...02#41007294289

If yes, these are not such a chore. Patience. Maybe an hour. I was not comfortable with the plastic pins for the installation. Gaps and rattles? Some sort of tape or caulk or weatherstrip adhesive works. I made this harder than it had to be by declaring victory too early. Even then, it did not take long to get the trim pieces back in place correctly.

Fourteen hours! Crazy ...
Those ones. (and the felt cover for the wheel well below them, and the trunk pieces.)

Since TIS is a deader, I haven't found a good DIY yet-- and I don't want to just go buffooning in and breaking clips.

Aaaaaand, just as I post this, Zeese posted up the TIS I needed. Thanks, @Zeese.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #402
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I am over-confident and impatient. Balances out ;-) Nothing broke!

If I have managed to get the upload process figured out, there are some good pictures attached to guide one's effort. For amusement? Whatever works.

Good luck!
Thanks zeese! I'll muster up the confidence for this now you've included some further guidance on this!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #403
EatYourHeartOut
ALL OUT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

I add the door insulation at the front of the door jam.
It was a noticeable difference. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #404
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Sound deadening with audio/video & pics

Installed a resonator to help with the drone. It got rid of a good bit of it, but there is still a drone at 3K & 80 MPH. So, wanted to quiet that crap down some.

Covered the hole in the left & right passenger side body panels. Also filled it with some insulator - check the pics. Wanna know what it is? It's this super thick (about 2") insulator sent with things that come in ice. They use it now instead of styrofoam. I've been saving it to stuff in that space.

I think what I did in those two spots are the biggest contributors to the quiet in the car. Can't say for sure, but that space is a cavern where I am sure sound BOOMS. Check the difference in with/without here:

Did Killmat & Second Skin luxury liner. Killmat was sort of easy to install, but you have to use this roller tool to flatten the blisters for the stuff to do its job. Pain in the ass, but once done, it's done. It really does work, but I think the roller step makes the stuff a PIA to use, esp on the interior of a car.

Difference with & without Killmat:

Second skin luxury liner. Gotta install that with spray adhesive. It's only a few millimeters thick, but it's not very pliable & it's heavy. I probably wouldn't recommend it in the M2 - a lot of curves & just difficult-to-cover areas behind the panels. I'd likely just go with the OEM stuff or something that might not kill as much sound, but was easier to work with.

But... what I want covered is done. So did it work? Is it quieter in the cabin?

Hells yeah. WAY WAY WAY quieter. VERY noticeable difference. Pushed the in-cabin drone & hum of the exhaust out of the cabin & what I hear distinctly comes from behind the seats. I can still hear exhaust noises (and the drone at 3K RPM) but both are definitely substantially muted. I am pleasantly surprised.

The cabin is most definitey quieter. No placebo effect here - this is a real reduction. Would I do it again? Nope - I'd pay somebody. I would have stuffed the cotton-insulator material in the space behind the left/right rear body panels myself first, though.

At least the drone is not so boomy in the cabin, resonating/reverberating in my ears. Relief at last.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 5
(K)1282.50
Poffman494.00
modeboy37.50
      05-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #405
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Just to update this invaluable thread, TIL there is a plastic piece on the firewall that supposedly reduces road noise, which I'm certain is missing on the M2.

I haven't had a chance to jack up my car and check it out myself but just throwing this out there incase anyone wants to possible add it back, in order to help with their sound deadening endeavors and maybe offer some feedback.

DIY: F30 Road Noise Quick Fix https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1822107
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
modeboy37.50
MASHCT695.00
      05-03-2021, 07:15 AM   #406
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Just to update this invaluable thread, TIL there is a plastic piece on the firewall that supposedly reduces road noise, which I'm certain is missing on the M2.

I haven't had a chance to jack up my car and check it out myself but just throwing this out there incase anyone wants to possible add it back, in order to help with their sound deadening endeavors and maybe offer some feedback.
Thanks for sharing the info.
I read the thread and if I'm understanding it correctly, only one side of the wheel arch needs this piece?
The effectiveness is questionable IMO, but it definitely won't hurt.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      05-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #407
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:

Thanks for sharing the info.
I read the thread and if I'm understanding it correctly, only one side of the wheel arch needs this piece?
The effectiveness is questionable IMO, but it definitely won't hurt.
Thanx!

I've now noticed your previously tagged question..

From what I understand, that plastic piece seems to be missing on both sides of the shock tower body but don't quote me on that.

The F30 thread I've link on that subject is currently active, maybe someone else there can confirm this with certainty.

Also, like you said, I'm also not sure how effective this missing plastic piece is in reducing road noise but for under $20, I'll give it a shot; for better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #408
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanx!

From what I understand, that plastic piece seems to be missing on both sides of the shock tower body but don't quote me on that.

The F30 thread I've link on that subject is currently active, maybe someone else there can confirm this with certainty.

Also, like you said, I'm also not sure how effective this missing plastic piece is in reducing road noise but for under $20, I'll give it a shot; for better or worse.
Thanks.
I've read the rest of the posts, but couldn't find anyone confirming which side(s) is(are) missing.
The part number comes up as 'covering LEFT', so I wonder if there's a different P/N for the right or if it only applies to one side.
Either way, if that part was designed for the final product, it clearly served a purpose.
I'll probably try to use my old asphalt based CLD to seal up that hole and see if it makes any difference.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      05-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #409
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanx!

Thanks.
I've read the rest of the posts, but couldn't find anyone confirming which side(s) is(are) missing.
The part number comes up as 'covering LEFT', so I wonder if there's a different P/N for the right or if it only applies to one side.
Either way, if that part was designed for the final product, it clearly served a purpose.
I'll probably try to use my old asphalt based CLD to seal up that hole and see if it makes any difference.
Thanks again!
Yea, I only found a part number for the left side.

Mines has some sort of heat-shield on the right side but it's still exposed. Go figure..🤷🏻

I ordered the left side cover for the hell of it but I'm not too confident it will make any difference but some folks swear by it and claiming it makes the world of difference in noise reduction.

Also, it's certainly a US-spec part number or else I wouldn't have been able to order it from a local dealer. So maybe it's intended to be for the left side only.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #410
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

When it says 'LEFT', we're talking about the US driver's side, correct?
I'll be taking a look at mine tonight, but is it accessible with the wheels turned all the way, or do we have to remove the wheel?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #411
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When it says 'LEFT', we're talking about the US driver's side, correct?
I'll be taking a look at mine tonight, but is it accessible with the wheels turned all the way, or do we have to remove the wheel?

Thanks!
Yes, the driver's side on a US spec car.

And it is partially accessible, when you move the wheel a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #412
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, pictures I took when the MPS was installed show that these covers are missing, but that there doesn't appear to be any of the sound deadening visible in 1st picture inside the cutout (or if there is, it's a different type).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #413
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the driver's side on a US spec car.

And it is partially accessible, when you move the wheel a bit.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      05-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #414
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Well, pictures I took when the MPS was installed show that these covers are missing, but that there doesn't appear to be any of the sound deadening visible in 1st picture inside the cutout (or if there is, it's a different type).

05-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #415
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The bits that are missing on an M2

So...

As these pictures show, on the M2 there are no plastic covers on that aperture, and there may be no sound deadening at all compared to the earlier pictures.

Yes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///M TOWN21695.00
modeboy37.50
      05-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #416
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
So...

As these pictures show, on the M2 there are no plastic covers on that aperture, and there may be no sound deadening at all compared to the earlier pictures.

Yes?
That hole is huge
      06-18-2021, 12:52 AM   #417
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanx!

Thanks.
Thanks again!
Yea, I only found a part number for the left side.

Mines has some sort of heat-shield on the right side but it's still exposed. Go figure..🤷🏻

I ordered the left side cover for the hell of it but I'm not too confident it will make any difference but some folks swear by it and claiming it makes the world of difference in noise reduction.

Also, it's certainly a US-spec part number or else I wouldn't have been able to order it from a local dealer. So maybe it's intended to be for the left side only.
Did you ever install this? Super curious.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #418
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
Did you ever install this? Super curious.
I have mine sitting on my kitchen countertop... too lazy to jack up the car to install this lol.
I was planning on installing it while doing the oil change in a couple of weeks.
I'll let you know what I find out.
Appreciate 1
Poffman494.00