THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum adaptive steering

03-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

adaptive steering

so i had my car in sport + mode and i was taking a long sweeper at about 90mph every thing was cool, but there was a pot hole in the line i was holding so i twitched the steering a tiny bit to avoid it and the steering input was way over what i had expected, i nearly soiled myself.

Basically my question is how do you set just the suspension stiff and leave the steering in comfort mode? is this possible? i also noticed the sport plus steering inputs off a bit when i broke the rear end loose in the rain the counter steering was natural feeling but then gathering it back up was way to sensitive and i had a few tank slappers but i pulled some off very clean too. can this be fixed with coding id rather keep steering comfort all the time and want to toggle the suspension by itself. thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fatpuss View Post
so i had my car in sport + mode and i was taking a long sweeper at about 90mph every thing was cool, but there was a pot hole in the line i was holding so i twitched the steering a tiny bit to avoid it and the steering input was way over what i had expected, i nearly soiled myself.

Basically my question is how do you set just the suspension stiff and leave the steering in comfort mode? is this possible? i also noticed the sport plus steering inputs off a bit when i broke the rear end loose in the rain the counter steering was natural feeling but then gathering it back up was way to sensitive and i had a few tank slappers but i pulled some off very clean too. can this be fixed with coding id rather keep steering comfort all the time and want to toggle the suspension by itself. thoughts would be appreciated.
I wouldn't go to a track that had pot holes!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

was on a private closed road only track worth a dam in texas is motorsport ranch.... new gp track in austin or msr houston. eagles canyon raceway has crap runoffs that will destroy your car or bike. but assume i was on a track how the hell do you turn off the adaptive steering and keep the suspension stiff?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fatpuss
was on a private closed road only track worth a dam in texas is motorsport ranch.... new gp track in austin or msr houston. eagles canyon raceway has crap runoffs that will destroy your car or bike. but assume i was on a track how the hell do you turn off the adaptive steering and keep the suspension stiff?
You can't
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

weak sauce... has to be a way thru coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:

You can configure sport so that only the steering or drivetrain is changed in that setting - basically have steering comfort and drivetrain in sport. Idk if its the same for Sport +.

You just go to the settings page and driving dynamics. I've done this on my MSport 228i but don't know if the settings hold for Sport +.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
You can configure sport so that only the steering or drivetrain is changed in that setting - basically have steering comfort and drivetrain in sport. Idk if its the same for Sport +.

You just go to the settings page and driving dynamics. I've done this on my MSport 228i but don't know if the settings hold for Sport +.

i tried this and its a no go.... there is no way to separate the suspension and steering in any mode. its either both on or both off has to be a code to fix it maybe an update in settings will come from factory soon. the inputs are too sensitive for my taste in m mode but i do like the stiff dampers and throttle mapping. do you have the tech package? maybe its in the tech package i do not have that... let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i tried this and its a no go.... there is no way to separate the suspension and steering in any mode. its either both on or both off has to be a code to fix it maybe an update in settings will come from factory soon. the inputs are too sensitive for my taste in m mode but i do like the stiff dampers and throttle mapping. do you have the tech package? maybe its in the tech package i do not have that... let me know.
steering input doesn't change in any mode..... the only thing that changes is the weight...

active steering is on at all times... meaning less turn at more speed will turn the wheel more than at higher speeds to make it easier to maneuver
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

i guess i am talking about the weight then.... i dont want the steering weight on just the suspension on. for me it seems the inputs are way way more sensitive at high speeds in the weighted mode but it could be in my head. there is a big difference during drifts in weighted vs no weighted mode. to the point where i didnt like the weighted mode in that setting just the stiff dampers. make sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i guess i am talking about the weight then.... i dont want the steering weight on just the suspension on. for me it seems the inputs are way way more sensitive at high speeds in the weighted mode but it could be in my head. there is a big difference during drifts in weighted vs no weighted mode. to the point where i didnt like the weighted mode in that setting just the stiff dampers. make sense?
Yes. Makes sense. But there is no way to separate dampers from steering like in the m4
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=pikcachu;17629373]Yes. Makes sense. But there is no way to separate dampers from steering like in the m4[/QUOTE

i doubt it would have been that hard for bmw to separate the two in the ecu like in the m4. marketing gimmick, i guess they want us to buy a m2 to get a lsd, better settings, suspension and a temp gauge lol. oww well im sure coding will be available soon or maybe even an update directly from bmw would be even nicer.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
steering input doesn't change in any mode..... the only thing that changes is the weight...

active steering is on at all times... meaning less turn at more speed will turn the wheel more than at higher speeds to make it easier to maneuver
That makes sense
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0