THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i is not a "real M"

03-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
If you want to get rid of iDrive, you could always do this:
I tried that but the radio is tied in. You have to navigate with idrive to turn off the display, then it comes back on if you try to change a radio station, then you have to navigate to turn it off. I wish they made a standalone radio and allowed you to get rid of it or at the least place it lower like the E46 or the wife's GTI. The placement up high is bothersome to me...right or wrong, not the point, just bothers me, especially at night.
Here's a better picture:
Attached Images

03-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #24
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Thanks but for the record, I don't look down at the M235i at all. I was upset initially at how BMW represented it, then how they rolled it out in the US. I was very excited to replace my 1M that I lost with an M235i or M2 and had spec'd one on the European builder. I had it with alcantara interior and manual seats and was hoping I could get a version without the display since they showed one version on the Canadian site. Once it arrived, I had such high expectation that I was shocked that the amazing alcantara M interior was replaced with leatherette and that IDrive and power seats, folding mirrors, active sound, active suspension were all mandatory.

So the dissapointment for me was immense when I drove it and it was much quieter and softer and heavier than I felt it should be at the time. That was my bad, and directed at BMWUSA because in Europe you could order it without all that stuff (except idrive).

After the shock and dissapointment, I looked at everything else BMW offered and it was all lame for me. Then I realized that if you compare the 2 series, it is the best all around BMW for me and the closest to what made me a BMW fan. When I see a 2 series on the road, I'll give those guys a thumbs up sometimes because it's a great series and hoping to see what the M2 is like so I can compare them all. The M2, M235i, 228i M-Sport and still liking the M3 a bit too.

For the sake of honesty, if you accused me of looking down at BLoaded M3s with cameras, executive packages, automatics, heated steering wheels, etc.
Then maybe I would have to throw myself at the mercy of the court your honor!
I apologize...it was not meant to come across that way, no hate here. The only issues I have is all the people buying it that think they are getting anything more than half a M car. For you coming from a 1M I can tell you the only thing that might fill it's shoes would be the M2....but i bet with all the new tech and stuff it will seem a little tame compared to the raw edge that the 1M possessed. It was powerful, aggressive and very raw. One problem we the public suffer from is swallowing all the shit that is fed to us by these tests, mag's etc......BMW might drop the ball with a tweener to suck in the mass public but the M will always be an M...which I cannot afford but would love to have just to experience what everybody talks about. That is why I tell myself that this is your M car Mr Hagerty. I am sorry ur disappointed and i might have been too if I had the 1M. That was one car they might never be able to replace.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
The car I posted doesn't have iDrive. It has a standard head unit. Look again!
Dang!!!! Where is that.

I want it!!

Last edited by nachob; 03-21-2015 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Type from typing on cellphone!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's a better picture:
Seriously, If I could get no idrive and the alcantara M sport interior, sign me up?

I had seen that on the Canadian site early on but it went away. Where are you guys getting that from?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep
Drives: Like I Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Also, the differences are quite well established:

Regular lines

Add visual elements = M sport

Add M performance elements (brakes, suspension, tires, steering calibration, higher engine tune) = M performance

Add full on M suspension, full on M brakes, composite materials, CF roof, DCT option, quad exhaust, highest engine output and/or bespoke engine, factory electronic LSD, wider stance, flared fenders, unique body panels, more aggressive facials, rear diffuser = Full on M
Great answer. This needs to be an infographic. Never have I seen the physical differences in the M/Performance/Sport nomenclature defined so simply and clearly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #28
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep

Quote:
So for me the issue was that the M235i was overbadged, oversold as an M car and 1M killer because it can post similar numbers but if you judge it by M car standards it falls very short. If you judge it by all other BMWs, it is great,
Good point.

It also could be a good marketing strategy. It's very polarizing so it solidifies the base while providing an intermediate step into the brand for those that otherwise would never consider the jump. I never even considered the differences until I got my M235 and probably would not even be considering the M2 if not for the bridge in the brand. Interesting...now I feel like a marketing tool. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #29
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

I've had the opportunity to thrash around just about every generation M3 (including f8x) and M5 (including f10) and am not one bit disappointed with the performance of the M235i. I came into an M235i basically knowing it wasn't going to be much like the M4 (which has been one of my favorite overall cars I've ever driven)... so I was basically expecting more along the lines of an F30 335i feel. I was wrong.

This car does feels like a true M car. The way I think of it is as such: If this came out with the M3/4 and the M235i was labeled as an M2, it would be embraced as a true M car. Only now that there is a 35i badge after the M, a few missing stock factory items, and a "true" M2 on the horizon is there any fuss about it not being a true M vehicle.

The differences between the M235 and the "true M" cars only come out on the track when being driven to their limits.. which I don't think a good portion of M drivers do. While having discussions with friends and people who've driven the M235i, the general consensus is that the M235i is plenty car for the better part of the population, and only to a few people is the extra $30,000+ on MSRP worth it.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #30
dr.s
Rep
Drives: 2010 535xiT / 2015 M235xi

While I agree the M235 is not a true M car as others have describe. What I like is in the M235 x-drive you can get the same suspension set up as in the rear wheel drive version. We are trading in our 330i rear wheel drive with sports suspension for a M235xi as we want another all wheel drive vehicle up here in the north land.

This is something you can't get in the x-drive versions in the 3 or 4 series. No x-drive in the M3 or M4. I am sure the M2 will only be rear wheel drive. So if you want x-drive in a BMW performance model, this is as close as you can get to a M.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #31
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.s View Post
While I agree the M235 is not a true M car as others have describe. What I like is in the M235 x-drive you can get the same suspension set up as in the rear wheel drive version. We are trading in our 330i rear wheel drive with sports suspension for a M235xi as we want another all wheel drive vehicle up here in the north land.

This is something you can't get in the x-drive versions in the 3 or 4 series. No x-drive in the M3 or M4. I am sure the M2 will only be rear wheel drive. So if you want x-drive in a BMW performance model, this is as close as you can get to a M.
Got my x-drive @ Minnetonka in January...For the same reasons you are citing. Closest thing to an "m car" with AWD...

I put some Blizzak LM60's on it and its better than my wifes x5 with all seasons..

Now I'm chomping at the bit to get my summer shoes on..
      03-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #32
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBallooKnot View Post
Good point.

It also could be a good marketing strategy. It's very polarizing so it solidifies the base while providing an intermediate step into the brand for those that otherwise would never consider the jump. I never even considered the differences until I got my M235 and probably would not even be considering the M2 if not for the bridge in the brand. Interesting...now I feel like a marketing tool. :-)
I think the m235 is great and great value. Most people shouldn't even consider the m2. It's really too much for the street when the M235 has so much performance and style for the price. But some of us, mainly me, are super hard core car lovers. I get up at 4:30 am and drive San Diego to LA regularly for cars and coffee. I don't do this to show off my car, I do it to see other cars. I turn down free dealer washes because I prefer to hand wash mine and blow dry it with an air chuck. I personally hand wax regularly, rotate
My own tires even though it's free. I autocross and take long drives through mountain roads for pleasure. I have worked for a factory race team and built race cars with buddies. I have flown from San Diego to Florida, Munich and Rhode Island to pick up my last there cars.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm really irrationally nuts about cars and I know it. When I am lucid, the M235 is all one would ever want or need. But some of us are nutty and want more from the car but. YOU made the right choice. The "bridge" car is great and you shouldn't want more. Anything more is nuts... Yes guilty as charged!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #33
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that I'm really irrationally nuts about cars and I know it. When I am lucid, the M235 is all one would ever want or need. But some of us are nutty and want more from the car but. YOU made the right choice. The "bridge" car is great and you shouldn't want more. Anything more is nuts... Yes guilty as charged!
That's a very nice compliment to the model and nice way to frame things.

I use to be a cycling enthusiast and there were (probably still are) similar debates. The danger is always crossing over to the "techno-weenie" category where you own more equipment than you understand/can appreciate. It's good to know when to draw the line.

So, what would happen if I showed up at a "cars and coffee" with my M235?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #34
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I use to be a cycling enthusiast and there were (probably still are) similar debates. The danger is always crossing over to the "techno-weenie" category where you own more equipment than you understand/can appreciate. It's good to know when to draw the line.

If I saw you at cars and coffee I would peak in to see if manual or auto. If auto I'd say love 2 series. If manual, of buy you a cup of coffee. If you had that no nav version you showed me I would most likely talk your ear off about how cool it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #35
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep

Quote:
If I saw you at cars and coffee I would peak in to see if manual or auto. If auto I'd say love 2 series. If manual, of buy you a cup of coffee. If you had that no nav version you showed me I would most likely talk your ear off about how cool it was.
It wasn't me with the no-nav/iDrive option but I'd have taken it. I do have an auto. In fairness, I grew up on a manual (since 14) so I at least know the difference and made an informed choice given my situation. I'd buy you coffee anytime for your generous input. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #36
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

LOLZ BMW puts an M badge one the back , My registration says M235i so it seems to be the new marketing scheme to the world its an "M" But I didn't buy it for that.

My view it seems to be like how Audi has a Regular A4/5/6/8 --- S4/5/6 and then RS4/5/

IMO its all to aline with that , An s4 is not on a m3s level, it is closer aligned to a 335i.

BMW with the 2 series following has levels regular |228i=A car| m235= S car | m2= RS car|

Like many have said , who cares?? A Badge is just that ,A badge... Say what you want about the m235i in stock form it can compete with last Gen 1m/m3 numbers wise which is impressive for a non "m" and for all those who say it is a bit to soft , nothing a few mods can't fix !!! springs/coilover/ tune /dp etc..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:44 AM   #37
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
I have a manual with no navi, you owe me cup of coffee
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 01:56 AM   #38
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just thinking about this again , LOL why does this matter why do people keep asking and saying "but is it a real M" as the M brand gets softer and more away from what the purist want, now a days with 55 different m badges on a x3 msport, how is this any less M then what M is , maybe this is what they want , the factory puts the M badge on the back and Bmw named it m235i sure its not a m2 or m3 but what's wrong with the cheapest i6turbo powered RWD coupe bmw for $20k less then a m4, you can buy a e46 m3 with the money you save and finally like the "M" dream you always wanted , driving into the sunset just you and your real M and have a m235 in your garage to wonder why they would give it an M badge so silly of them

People didn't like the e46 when it came out saying it was bloated , the e90 they thought was even more bloated and had a v8 Zomg not a v8 a m3 should never have a v8 , then they got rid of Hydraulic steering and added a turbo I6 must be blasphemy, M is and always has been evolving , this is part of the evolution like it or not , like I said before maybe they want to have the model lines as audis S and RS so this is the beginning of that , M235i and M2. Who really cares what they call the cars judge and buy the cars on the cars not the Badge because it's all marketing to get the old lady on the end of my street to get into a more expensive lease so she can have the top of the line model to bring to the wholefoods and drive 15 under the speed limit in the left lane since most of the people driving these M cars could care less about anything other then the badge anyway..

Rant over
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #39
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:

Haha it was I who posted that pic without iDrive. This is available on European 114i, 116i, and 118i models, but I'm sure you could swap the parts right into your F22. These cars aren't only non-nav, they're non-iDrive! And I drive an MT, so I'm looking forward to C&C lol.
      03-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #40
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001
I've had the opportunity to thrash around just about every generation M3 (including f8x) and M5 (including f10) and am not one bit disappointed with the performance of the M235i. I came into an M235i basically knowing it wasn't going to be much like the M4 (which has been one of my favorite overall cars I've ever driven)... so I was basically expecting more along the lines of an F30 335i feel. I was wrong.

This car does feels like a true M car. The way I think of it is as such: If this came out with the M3/4 and the M235i was labeled as an M2, it would be embraced as a true M car. Only now that there is a 35i badge after the M, a few missing stock factory items, and a "true" M2 on the horizon is there any fuss about it not being a true M vehicle.

The differences between the M235 and the "true M" cars only come out on the track when being driven to their limits.. which I don't think a good portion of M drivers do. While having discussions with friends and people who've driven the M235i, the general consensus is that the M235i is plenty car for the better part of the population, and only to a few people is the extra $30,000+ on MSRP worth it.
Could you give us a breakdown of how the M235i /M4 feel similar/different? Like steering, clutch, shifter, pedals, ride quality, throttle response, but around town at normal speeds or in traffic....stuff like that. I'm dying to know! In other wards, on my commute to school everyday, would I notice anything different or better if I paid 2x more a month?
      03-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #41
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001

I agree ! The m235i is Very different from a 335/435i which you notice as soon as you drive both of them, I have driven every generation of m3 besides e30 but really beat down e36/46/e92 and even a f10 m5, the f8x is great !!! they all have their own qualities and plan on owning all of them at once at some point on my life in a personal collection so I can die happy. I don't just say this because I bought a m235i , I really could have gotten any generation of m3 besides f8x and I am happy with my choice call it what you want it is just a great fun road car that can do everything you want on the street and a few simple modifications could track rather well too , bmw already upgraded the cooling and other problems that caused non Ms to not do so well on the track from heat issues, the m2 will be an amazing car I know it will be because the m235i is amazing , now add a little more m4 DNA and some M styling and its a undeniable M, I am excited to see where it lands it seems that a upgraded N55 will be used and not the M variant S55 does this open the door for people to start the it's not a real M argument compared to the m4? Forget how it drives since many write off the m235i without ever driving one either , I'm afraid when it comes to M people do not like new things or change and will always have something to say , and then when the next generation comes out everyone will be saying how the last gen was better and more "M"
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #42
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
I have a manual with no navi, you owe me cup of coffee
Where are you? Done deal on the coffee! How did you get no nav car?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #43
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha it was I who posted that pic without iDrive. This is available on European 114i, 116i, and 118i models, but I'm sure you could swap the parts right into your F22. These cars aren't only non-nav, they're non-iDrive! And I drive an MT, so I'm looking forward to C&C lol.
Come on down for free coffee! You guys get all the good stuff over there!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #44
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

+1 to nike001 and kwsw. Well said!