THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i is not a "real M"

03-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #45
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Where are you? Done deal on the coffee! How did you get no nav car?
I live in Irvine, I need to go to the new location cars and coffee, been to lazy to wake up lol

I got pretty lucky I, I was surprised to find that the local dealer had the car the exact car I wanted in my second choice of color. Got a great trade in deal and a lot below msrp, it was a pretty good day haha
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #46
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
I live in Irvine, I need to go to the new location cars and coffee, been to lazy to wake up lol

I got pretty lucky I, I was surprised to find that the local dealer had the car the exact car I wanted in my second choice of color. Got a great trade in deal and a lot below msrp, it was a pretty good day haha
I am one town away...have been looking to see if there are any other M235i drivers around. Haven't seen another vert on the road as of yet.

As far as CnC, the OC one is dead, for now, as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #47
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASoxFan View Post
I am one town away...have been looking to see if there are any other M235i drivers around. Haven't seen another vert on the road as of yet.

As far as CnC, the OC one is dead, for now, as far as I know.
Let's meet up! I've never seen a vert 2 in person
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #48
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

i passed on a used e92 m3 because i wanted something more comfort dd oriented. I had a sti with 400hp and kw suspension before this 235 and because it was too much i decided to just go civilized. that being said first thing i did is debadge the car i never considered this to be a true m car going into it. Which does make me wonder wtf bmw is doing by calling it one but whatever its a good quick urban/hwy car that can be tracked so it was a perfect fit for me. still looking for a used m3 i can make my weekend rasher tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #49
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fatpuss View Post
i passed on a used e92 m3 because i wanted something more comfort dd oriented. I had a sti with 400hp and kw suspension before this 235 and because it was too much i decided to just go civilized. that being said first thing i did is debadge the car i never considered this to be a true m car going into it. Which does make me wonder wtf bmw is doing by calling it one but whatever its a good quick urban/hwy car that can be tracked so it was a perfect fit for me. still looking for a used m3 i can make my weekend rasher tho.
First thing I'll do if I get one. Great fun to drive. I couldnt care any less about all this M stuff.
e92 M3 would be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #50
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Let's meet up! I've never seen a vert 2 in person
Sure thing...I'll PM you my contact info.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #51
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Could you give us a breakdown of how the M235i /M4 feel similar/different? Like steering, clutch, shifter, pedals, ride quality, throttle response, but around town at normal speeds or in traffic....stuff like that. I'm dying to know! In other wards, on my commute to school everyday, would I notice anything different or better if I paid 2x more a month?
I wanted to drive the M4 again after getting my 235 so I could have a better comparison. I just got back after driving our dealerships M4 and it's a different beast. It's loud enough where you don't hear the synthetic sound being pumped through the speakers. It's louder, stiffer (of course), steering is a lot heavier (especially in sport), DCT is amazing (haven't driven an 6MT yet. I'm a huge believer in MT cars and I would never get an M4 in 6MT). It's very civilized in traffic and boost is quick to come on.

As I just jokingly said to 2 of our CA's.. You don't realize how much of a not-M car your 235i is until you drive an M4. It's a huge difference. Truth be told, I'll be doing everything in my power to get an M4 when they're on CPO.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #52
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

This is so absurd!! Why do most people continue to claim that BMW is badging / marketing this car as an M car? Just because the letter M is in the name doesn't imply that...

Mxxx nomenclature = M performance car

Mx nomenclature = M car

Is that really so hard to understand? It's also not a new thing .. See E28 M535i introduced in 1984!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #53
DillionDay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

I used to care about trivial things like this back in my late teens/early 20s. Now that I'm in my 30s, I don't care and I think it is pointless to debate.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #54
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
to be honest, considering the price and additional maintenance, I'd rather have a great non-M M-like car vs an actual M car. Dunno how the 1M is on maintenance, but if it is a parts bin special, must be better than replacing the "carbon ceramic brake pads" on the M4...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #55
haffl
manchild
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi

I completely agree with the constructive criticism regading the M235 not being a true M car. I have no delusions that my car is a proper M and yes, I too wish the M235 had an oil temp gauge instead of so many M badges!!
I would love to own the current generation M3 or M4 but truthfully I can't afford it without making unrealistic sacrifices in other areas of my life (401K savings for example).
So thank you BMW for providing a watered down version that serves as the best daily driver I've ever owned. I had a 2009 335i coupe with Dinan Stage 2 s/w, CAI, and Stage 1 Dinan suspension. Amazing car but I'm having more fun with the drive and modern tech of my White M235xi without aftermarket support.
Yeap, I'm also in the minority since I chose the versatility of the all wheel drive model which also gets bashed occasionally for not being a true BMW drivers car.
Sure it's a little bit heavier off the line but the car's handling abilities in the twisties on all-season tires no less surpasses my 335i, IMO.
Once funds are available I think the only mod I'll consider is a 2nd set of wheels riding on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #56
Kristalov
Dr. K
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 718 GT4RS,'19 F82, '24 G87

Garage List
I love all the chatter about this car. This is not an M car and all of us that got one knew that. This is a very nicely equipped car with included M features that handles great and doesn't break the bank.

Additionally not that I'm the biggest Smoking Tire fan but Matt sums it up well in this YouTube clip (skip to about 3:43).

Last edited by Kristalov; 03-30-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #57
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffl View Post
I completely agree with the constructive criticism regading the M235 not being a true M car. I have no delusions that my car is a proper M and yes, I too wish the M235 had an oil temp gauge instead of so many M badges!!
I would love to own the current generation M3 or M4 but truthfully I can't afford it without making unrealistic sacrifices in other areas of my life (401K savings for example).
So thank you BMW for providing a watered down version that serves as the best daily driver I've ever owned. I had a 2009 335i coupe with Dinan Stage 2 s/w, CAI, and Stage 1 Dinan suspension. Amazing car but I'm having more fun with the drive and modern tech of my White M235xi without aftermarket support.
Yeap, I'm also in the minority since I chose the versatility of the all wheel drive model which also gets bashed occasionally for not being a true BMW drivers car.
Sure it's a little bit heavier off the line but the car's handling abilities in the twisties on all-season tires no less surpasses my 335i, IMO.
Once funds are available I think the only mod I'll consider is a 2nd set of wheels riding on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Perfect, well said.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #58
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

It is not meant to be a true M car, I think a lot of this conversation was started due to a lack of understanding of the M sport models.

You had plenty of examples in the past M535, M-tech models, 635csi etc...

So the problem comes is that people were upset at the M badging, even though there is no claim for it to be a true M car... it was always in my mind an M sport model, not a true M car. BMW never advertised it as an M car, and I think most owners didn't receive it as a true M car. I think magazines created the controversy because... well I don't know why.

But you always have certain levels of "true M car elitism" You have the previous gen owners saying that the M3/M4 of new are not real M cars because they are too plump, or the fake engine noises. The e92 was not a real M car because (no idea why), the e36 M3 was not a real M car in the US because it used essentially an M52...

The 1M is not a true M car because it used an N54, blah blah blah blah. The M235i is a really fun car to drive, its not an M4, or M3, but its not trying to be, I don't know why people insist on trying to cram it into this category. The M2 wont be an M3 or 4 either...

The M235i is exactly the kind of cars BMW should be producing, smaller, more fun oriented cars. This car is a smaller, fun, rwd BMW that is roughly the size of the e46. It is fun to drive, it handles great, and makes a great daily driver. I mean, it basically is the new 3 series, or what the 3 series should be.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #59
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fatpuss View Post
Yeah, if the chocolate tastes good, I wouldn't care much how the wrapper looks like.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #60
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1
It is not meant to be a true M car, I think a lot of this conversation was started due to a lack of understanding of the M sport models.

So the problem comes is that people were upset at the M badging, even though there is no claim for it to be a true M car... it was always in my mind an M sport model, not a true M car. BMW never advertised it as an M car, and I think most owners didn't receive it as a true M car. I think magazines created the controversy because... well I don't know why.

But you always have certain levels of "true M car elitism" You have the previous gen owners saying that the M3/M4 of new are not real M cars because they are too plump, or the fake engine noises. The e92 was not a real M car because (no idea why), the e36 M3 was not a real M car in the US because it used essentially an M52...

The 1M is not a true M car because it used an N54, blah blah blah blah. The M235i is a really fun car to drive, its not an M4, or M3, but its not trying to be, I don't know why people insist on trying to cram it into this category. The M2 wont be an M3 or 4 either...

The M235i is exactly the kind of cars BMW should be producing, smaller, more fun oriented cars. This car is a smaller, fun, rwd BMW that is roughly the size of the e46. It is fun to drive, it handles great, and makes a great daily driver. I mean, it basically is the new 3 series, or what the 3 series should be.
Good points except that it's an M performance model (the replacement of the Is designation) not M-Sport

And the media created the controversy because they kept comparing it to its "predecessor" the 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #61
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1

Summed it up beautifully.

I will say this though, I didn't mind the badging until I actually saw it in the back.. The font BMW used was kinda weird and it seemed kind of fat/wide. I wish they used the same font as they normally do on the other models.

However, I still left it on - until a contractor working on my parent's house asked me if I put the M badge on myself. He alluded to people putting "Acura badges on Hondas." It was right then and there, I decided to debadge.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #62
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
Summed it up beautifully.

I will say this though, I didn't mind the badging until I actually saw it in the back.. The font BMW used was kinda weird and it seemed kind of fat/wide. I wish they used the same font as they normally do on the other models.

However, I still left it on - until a contractor working on my parent's house asked me if I put the M badge on myself. He alluded to people putting "Acura badges on Hondas." It was right then and there, I decided to debadge.
Well, it's your car. Badge or debadge as you wish, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd be influenced by snarky remarks from some random dude who's probably just jealous.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:44 AM   #63
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Good points except that it's an M performance model (the replacement of the Is designation) not M-Sport

And the media created the controversy because they kept comparing it to its "predecessor" the 1M
to be fair it is by far the closest thing to a 1m
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:50 AM   #64
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55
Quote:

to be fair it is by far the closest thing to a 1m
No it's not.
The 1M is being followed by the M2

The M235 is the replacement of the 135 is

Just because the M235 is so competent, that it can almost be favorably compared to a 1M doesn't make it an M car in the lineup.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:41 AM   #65
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
No it's not.
The 1M is being followed by the M2

The M235 is the replacement of the 135 is

Just because the M235 is so competent, that it can almost be favorably compared to a 1M doesn't make it an M car in the lineup.
It also means your paying far too much for a marginal improvement in capability. Some people cannot sleep well without a badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #66
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

The truth is if bmw wanted to compete with audi s , v sport , F sport,
AMG sport they should have called it 235is , their "is" line has brand recognition and this car could have built on that .
Appreciate 0