THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What Engine and Suspension Mods Can You Make To The M235 Without Warranty Issues?

10-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

What Engine and Suspension Mods Can You Make To The M235 Without Warranty Issues?

As the title says, I'm trying to determine what mods one can make to their M235i (mine has X Drive) without causing warranty issues. I purchased a one year old car in May, and still have almost five years left of the original/certified warranty, which is important to me, as I cannot afford to be without the warranty coverage. The problem is that the ONLY time I will have the money for these upgrades is now. I intend to keep the car for a long time (5 years+) so this is a very important decision.

Obviously, you can add a cold air intake, and can't add any engine tuning (except Dinan, but that's their warranty, and only 3 years). But beyond that, I'm not sure. What about:

intercoolers

catback or catless downpipe

chargepipe upgrade

suspension upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
As the title says, I'm trying to determine what mods one can make to their M235i (mine has X Drive) without causing warranty issues. I purchased a one year old car in May, and still have almost five years left of the original/certified warranty, which is important to me, as I cannot afford to be without the warranty coverage. The problem is that the ONLY time I will have the money for these upgrades is now. I intend to keep the car for a long time (5 years+) so this is a very important decision.

Obviously, you can add a cold air intake, and can't add any engine tuning (except Dinan, but that's their warranty, and only 3 years). But beyond that, I'm not sure. What about:

intercoolers

catback or catless downpipe

chargepipe upgrade

suspension upgrades
To specifically answer your title question...none.

I'm not addressing odds or the chances of this occurring, but anything you modify to differ from the way the vehicle was designed, manufactured, and sold may impact coverage with the following limitations.

Although a mod like a suspension component won't affect warranty coverage for powertrain, as the two are not related (Thank you Senators Magnusson and Moss), if there is a suspension issue reasonably/possibly a result of a suspension mod, they would have a strong position to deny coverage. Likewise for an engine mod...may invalidate coverage on the engine, but would not affect a suspension issue. This is the basis for Dinan's warranty coverage as a marketing tool to protect against cases where BMWNA might deny coverage.

All mods should be done with caution if possible loss of warranty coverage is a primary concern. Think in terms of systemic effects to assess your potential exposure. For example, a 21" wheel mod with tiny aspect ratio tire could possibly be argued as the reason for a premature strut failure, due to higher impact loads, etc.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

It depends on your dealer. Some are more tolerant than others. Downpipe and tune are pretty much guaranteed to void. Everything else you should get in touch with your SA.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

I was afraid of that. Thanks guys. Knowing my dealer, they will exhibit no real tolerance, but I will verify. I had really hoped to be able to do some things to personalize the car and its performance but I definitely cannot endanger the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Dinan iirc is the only tuner that will warranty andthing resulting from denied claim that is attributed to their stuff.....but you pay for it up front
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Really any modification will void the warranty for that particular area. For example a downpipe will probably void your warranty for most engine related issues, but won't effect the warranty pertaining to the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh
Dinan iirc is the only tuner that will warranty andthing resulting from denied claim that is attributed to their stuff.....but you pay for it up front
Your best bet if you go the Dinan route is to have it done at a BMW dealer. For example I have 3 dealers within 15 minutes of me but drove an hour and a half to get stage 1 done at a BMW dealer w Dinan, rather than an independent. Worst case if something goes wrong I'll go back to that dealer to handle it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Let's be sure the terminology is correct here - your warranty will not be "voided", but coverage may be denied for a particular issue. If you install aftermarket suspension parts and have a suspension-related failure, they can deny coverage for that, but if you have an issue with the transmission, there should be no reason to deny coverage for that. Too many people are confused and think that if they install aftermarket equipment, their car's entire warranty is null and void at that point and afterward - which is not the case.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Let's be sure the terminology is correct here - your warranty will not be "voided", but coverage may be denied for a particular issue. If you install aftermarket suspension parts and have a suspension-related failure, they can deny coverage for that, but if you have an issue with the transmission, there should be no reason to deny coverage for that. Too many people are confused and think that if they install aftermarket equipment, their car's entire warranty is null and void at that point and afterward - which is not the case.
To that end though....dealers and manufacturers that decide to be hard nosed dicks about it can make life/warranty claims VERY VERY difficult and expensive if the so choose to be

A dealer you have a good relationship with who is reasonable in their "interpretation" of mods is a good thing

A stealership that is hard nosed well.....you're blood pressure may suffer as a result of their responses
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
and still have almost five years left of the original/certified warranty, which is important to me, as I cannot afford to be without the warranty coverage.
If you can't afford the possible penalties, then don't play the game.
Appreciate 1
B_Rice219.00
      10-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

It depends on how cool your service advisor is, but the most important thing is what this guy said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you can't afford the possible penalties, then don't play the game.
Or just pay for dinan.
      10-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
JB4

Let's say you install a piggy back tune, like a JB4.
If you have an engine or transmission issue.
You pull out the tune before you take it back to the dealer.
Anyone see any problems with that scenario?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
Let's say you install a piggy back tune, like a JB4.
If you have an engine or transmission issue.
You pull out the tune before you take it back to the dealer.
Anyone see any problems with that scenario?
Pretty sure the logs on the ECU will show abnormal data which shows a tune was done and the car was not operating according to how BMW designed it to.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #14
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
On the e82 and the e90 platforms there is a known problem with one of the drive belts rubbing and shredding then getting sucked into the engine. I have read more than one occasion where the warranty claim was denied due to aftermarket lowering springs. Stating something to the effect that the lower ride height caused the belt to be shredded. There are no guarantees to any aftermarket parts, you had mentioned intakes that is another big one that I personally would not play with, most have oiled filters that could cause problems, so your taking a risk on a part that has no benefit what so ever. The only way to modify your car without issues is to use BMW performance parts, even if you use Dinan there is no guarantee that the two companies won't argue over who's fault it is while you are stuck wondering how the second biggest investment you have made that you probably don't own is going to get fixed.
Appreciate 0