THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Insurance Games

03-19-2024, 05:57 AM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Insurance Games

If you file a claim the insurance can go up dramatically. A few years ago I was hit from behind, $2400 to repair. The other driver was at fault and Michigan is a no fault state so I filed with my insurer. Since it was my first claim my rate was not increased. I could have filed with the other driver's insurer for the 500 deductible. I asked my insurer what that would do to his rate. If it was my company would add $1750 / year for 4 years. I called the other guy and he came right over with the cash and a waiver provided by his insurer.

Not bashing insurance companies here, just a caution to drivers. Why so much for only a $500 claim? Reasonable and Customary (R&C) charges by health care providers are normally negotiated down by about 75% by health insurers but in Michigan auto insurers are required to pay the R&C charges. To defray this ridiculous burden they spread the cost broadly.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:10 PM   #2
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

No accidents, no tickets, and I’m a middle-aged man. Past that, actually.

My insurance company that I’ve been with for a decade raised my rates by 51% this year.

The process of getting new insurance is ongoing. After researching, it’s taken me three weeks to not yet be able to give the new company my money (underwriting didn’t accept png and needed jpg or pdf, then my proof of address became too old).

I’m always shocked when it takes so much effort to convince someone to take my money, monthly, and, with luck, never hear from me again.
Appreciate 0