THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Xdrive vs RWD

04-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #23
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
lol i gave points from both sides. Calm down.
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
: Had no idea you would get that upset about auto being faster. Its a pretty well known fact. The top two known members for times on this forum have auto. Sorry to get you going. Have a great day.
      04-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #24
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
: Had no idea you would get that upset about auto being faster. Its a pretty well known fact. The top two known members on this forum have auto. Sorry to get you going. Have a great day.

"Faster"
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #25
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
: Had no idea you would get that upset about auto being faster. Its a pretty well known fact. The top two known members on this forum have auto. Sorry to get you going. Have a great day.

"Faster"
Ive yet to come across professionals who test the cars out have rwd come out faster. Seems like you're taking this pretty hard. I'd love to see you try and row gears and beat an automatic. Post the video if you ever decide to test it out lol
      04-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #26
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ive yet to come across professionals who test the cars out have rwd come out faster. Seems like you're taking this pretty hard. I'd love to see you try and row gears and beat an automatic. Post the video if you ever decide to test it out lol
I too would choose the auto/AWD version if I only drove in straight lines, but alas, I don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #27
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I too would choose the auto version if I only drove in straight lines, but alas, I don't.
Is this the part where the true driving experience comes in? :
      04-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #28
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is this the part where the true driving experience comes in? :
you essentially started the argument you were worried about. let it go.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #29
hawkxo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 6MT M235i

I live in Toronto as well and I have a 6MT RWD with a new set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, I had no problems this winter.

It really depends if you plan on being a snow warrior or not. Generally snow is cleared within a few hours in the city and a good set of winters is enough
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #30
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I too would choose the auto/AWD version if I only drove in straight lines, but alas, I don't.
I would probably ignore m235iguy, he seems like either a kid or a troll in every thread he posts in.
      04-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #31
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

You've wanted xDrive in the past, and it's a lease. Get it, then you'll know whether you'll want it in future vehicles.

As for driving differences.... I've had RWD and they're loads of fun... doing burnouts, doughnuts and what not. I've had AWD, and AWD vehicles are just confidence inspiring. You'll want to take the turn faster and drive a bit to quick in the snow and rain. You'll start looking for fresh snow to go play in.

Me, I ordered xDrive because I enjoyed the better traction... in all conditions.
      04-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #32
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

X-Drive vs. RWD

Hi all... I don't want to start a war; just looking for some friendly advice...

To add, I always opt for auto w steptronic (a 6 MT simply can't match the performance of steptronic shifting). I used to drive 5 MT (Honda Prelude SR-V) but operating the clutch is a pain, and I eventually wore out the clutch... yeah me bad.

Is the ride height still a tad higher (1 inch?) w xdrive vs. RWD?

I've only owned RWD, but I have driven my father's 325xi, and it feels like all 4 wheels are engaged/active. The only knock on RWD I have is that the rear tires will lose grip when u really step on it. I'm hoping xdrive will keep things nicely planted, so that I can be more aggressive in straight acceleration and in cornering w/o the worry of totalling the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
I am not a track guy, and don't engage in hi-speed cornering, and am merely looking for improved straight line acceleration.
If that's what you're looking for, the X is what you should get.

If you haven't driven on, at least give a 6MT a shot. Sure, it's the slowest of the bunch, but review after review after review after review of the M235 and M240 8AT almost ends with, get the 6MT. There's no getting around that connection and involvement it gives you. Search this forum and go on the M3/M4 forums and take note of how many guys traded for and/or wish they got the 6MT. It's almost unheard to read about someone saying they wish they got the 8AT or DCT instead of the 6MT. That speaks volumes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #34
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Quote:

To add, I always opt for auto w steptronic (a 6 MT simply can't match the performance of steptronic shifting). I used to drive 5 MT (Honda Prelude SR-V) but operating the clutch is a pain, and I eventually wore out the clutch... yeah me bad.

I've only owned RWD, but I have driven my father's 325xi, and it feels like all 4 wheels are engaged/active. The only knock on RWD I have is that the rear tires will lose grip when u really step on it. I'm hoping xdrive will keep things nicely planted, so that I can be more aggressive in straight acceleration and in cornering w/o the worry of totalling the car?

I regret going with xdrive... Personally, I find this car boring in comparison to other cars i've owned. However, with x drive it just gets worse... Great in less than perfect weather, but it will never replace an appropriate set of tires and a good driver.

As far as grip in terms of acceleration, it's difficult to break the tires loose.

I will be going back to rwd after this car & I've driven in the snow in Toronto and other parts of Canada, honestly as am sure you know they clear the streets relatively quickly and there is nothing like a good set of snow tires. Obviously awd will outperform rwd in the snow, but it's not worth losing the fun factor in my opinion.
      04-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #35
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:

You don't track cars and you don't take corners at high speed and yet you are affraid of crashing a car? Do you drag race? Do you launch your car from every red light?

It's nearly impossible to crash RWD car with stability control unless you are doing something crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #36
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I switched to my RWD M235i from an xDrive 330d Touring - it's a difficult question to answer. Here in the UK, the xDrive M235i/240i and M135i/M140i aren't available, so the decision was made for me. I was concerned that I'd miss the xDrive, as we drive down to ski in the Alps 2-3 times each winter. Plus, I'd got used to AWD on previous performance cars I'd had.

There is a handling trade-off in going for xDrive, in warmer weather, but that is compensated for by being able to handle more extreme snow conditions without resorting to chains. So I'd say it comes down to a warm-weather trade-off in handling versus not going quite as far on stock winter tyres in extreme snow conditions. By extreme I don't necessarily mean a blizzard, more something like having to start on a steep snowy slope, or a hairpin ramp out of a parking lot.

Remember also that you can still lose control even in an AWD - something I've done twice in wet cold weather on a roundabout. It's very graceful - the whole car just starts to drift outwards and you just correct by taking your foot off the gas. Which is fine if there's nothing in the way next to you (which there wasn't in my case, fortunately!). However, I'd echo the way thet xDrive seems to give a more reassuring drive, albeit that for many people, this can make the overall experience very 'neutral' and rather boring and make them ask just why they chose a BMW in the first place.

This winter, we coped with steep snowy roads on a square winter setup (7.5Jx17) and Pirelli Winter S3s and never had to resort to chains. But I think that given a bit more fresh snow, I'd have had to put the chains on to get out of our apartment underground parking (which annoyingly, means negotiating two hairpins at slow speed). So basically, it's not that you can do any more in an xDrive, just that you might have to resort to chains a little bit earlier if conditions are tricky.

So I'd recommend a test drive of the xDrive to look at summer behaviour, so you can then make a decision as to whether the undoubted traction benefits in wet and especially snow are outweighed by what you lose in handling ad feel in warmer road conditions.

Last edited by msej449; 04-17-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #37
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post

Can we, at least, all agree that:

04-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #38
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I love the xdrive in all conditions. Fantastic in the really bad winter weather (with Conti snows), but also a new dynamic for me in the dry, and one I can really appreciate. If you can still order, I'd recc getting the sport wheel/tires (staggered summer tires - you can get runflats or MPSS's). Then you can add a set of winter wheels/tires and you are all set, and you get the higher speedo set point (I'm just sure that I'll get an extra 1K for this at trade in - not that I'm actually needing that 130-155 range ).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #39
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

This just arrived on my Android He is talking about Porsches,but the idea with AWD PDK and RWD manual is the same

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #40
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

I got M240 xdrive with PSS. I am not sure if I want to get winter wheel/tire set.
Being in Chicago, there is no hill. So awd with good all season works ok.
(At least you don't get stuck in the snow at a stop light. Stopping or steering won't be a problem because I drive super slow when it snows anyway)

Have anyone seen test for winter vs all season tire on cold dry surface/ambient?
If winter tire makes big difference even in dry surface, I may get separate winter set.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #41
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
I would probably ignore m235iguy, he seems like either a kid or a troll in every thread he posts in.
funny, cause I told the guy to have a great day multiple times trying to end it and he kept it going. Not my fault he didn't understand auto was faster than manual. Have a great day.
      04-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #42
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Have anyone seen test for winter vs all season tire on cold dry surface/ambient?
If winter tire makes big difference even in dry surface, I may get separate winter set.
Never seen a test comparing the two.. I ordered AWD and planning on running all seasons like the DWS 06. Between AWD and a decent set of all season, I know I'm going to be fine in the winter.

As for getting a set of true winter tires.. around me, it ain't worth it. It's better to have AWD and a good set of all seasons. I say this because our temps swing big time and winter tires get really squirmy when the temps are 35F+.
      04-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #43
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Ya the "hurr my car is faster on paper" argument can only go so far. There are benefits and downsides to both set ups, and to say absolutely one is better then the other is just ignorant, or the person is trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Can we, at least, all agree that:

Pretty much.

Quote:
funny, cause I told the guy to have a great day multiple times trying to end it and he kept it going. Not my fault he didn't understand auto was faster than manual. Have a great day.
el oh el I troll uuuu xD
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #44
Raptor01
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Coupe RWD, 6MT

My first BMW was a manual, RWD E92 335i. Great car, loads of fun!

My second one? The same car, only it had an AT and xDrive. Again, great car but boring as ****.

My third BMW will be a manual, RWD M240i. Should be arriving in 3-4 weeks...

Even with Montreal's weather conditions, I've never felt a real need for AWD. RWD does a pretty good job, as long as you have a quality set of winter tires and fine control of the gas pedal.

Remember; AWD or RWD, if you enter a curve way too fast or brake too late there's about an equal chance you'll end up in the ditch. Be aware of the conditions, and adjust your speed and driving accordingly.
Appreciate 2
Kolyan2k922.00
Zabi59.50