THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordering a 230, need help with options

04-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdillardstang View Post
I think the 230i for 2018 starts july 17 2017 .
That's correct, I'd wait for 2018 if you can. Will be in dealers early fall. The 2017 will suffer from a bit of middle child syndrome. New engine but not facelifted. That said if you are bargain hunting leftover 2017s in September at month end / quarter end with the LCI out will be excellent buys.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
russiandoc
Rep
Drives: none

So what are the thoughts about the track handling package regarding ride comfort? I want the option of a smooth ride. Seems like the thp will also force me to buy winter tires here in Connecticut.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandoc View Post
So what are the thoughts about the track handling package regarding ride comfort? I want the option of a smooth ride. Seems like the thp will also force me to buy winter tires here in Connecticut.
The THP may provide the most comfortable ride of any configuration of 2 Series, as it has the most capability to respond to the driver-chosen setting. My barometer....Mrs. Sportstick...finds it to be fine, and she drives an Audi A6. But, being able to choose Sport or Sport+ is what brings the car alive when the spirit moves you.

Due to the extremely poor roads in southeast Michigan, which I refer to as moonscaping, I did choose to downsize to 17", but it's hard to imagine your roads would be as bad.

You would need snow tires in Connecticut in any event. There are no tires which come as original equipment which are winter capable. With XDrive, you may have the ability to get moving, but the much more important stopping and turning capability, especially when unexpected, are too inferior to be worth the risk to new car/limb/life. Also, you will need to put on the winter tires a bit sooner if you have a car with Michelin PSS, as they need to come off at 45 degrees F or lower due to loss of traction in the cold as well as non-warranty compound cracking.

But, for the extra joy in driving a THP-equipped 2 Series (read Jalopnik articles), this is easily worth it!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #26
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
After test driving a car with Adaptive M suspension, which is what comes with the THP, I ordered it for my 230i.

In comfort mode, I couldn't tell a difference. It road just like a car without it. But when I put it into Sport + mode, it was night and day difference.

You'll need to go test drive one with and without it to know if it's for you. Me.. it was worth it!
      04-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #27
russiandoc
Rep
Drives: none

So for the winter anyone put winter tires on the 18 inch ferric 461 wheels? I see the rear tire is wider than the front but are the wheels the same size?

I think ill go msport, track handling, lighting and cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Keyless entry is awesome. Use it all the time. Though i never keep anything worth stealing in my car :/

I guess my bay area fast trek

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
So for the winter anyone put winter tires on the 18 inch ferric 461 wheels? I see the rear tire is wider than the front but are the wheels the same size?

With the potential for damage and the cost of dismounting/mounting/balancing each time, it quickly becomes advantageous to order a set of narrow (better capability on snow/ice) winter tires on modestly priced wheels from tirerack.com. Look for a square set (same size front/rear) 205/50-17 or 215/50-17 of Michelin XIcexi3 or Blizzak WS80 for most winter capability. They even have local approved installers who may store your off-season set for you. Be sure to specify MSport brakes so the 17s they offer fit over the MSport brake calipers in the THP.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #30
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

If you have any intention to tune your 230i, you will be mad at yourself for not having the THP with adaptive suspension. This applies to both engine and suspension tuning, in my experience.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #31
tdillardstang
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
That's correct, I'd wait for 2018 if you can. Will be in dealers early fall. The 2017 will suffer from a bit of middle child syndrome. New engine but not facelifted. That said if you are bargain hunting leftover 2017s in September at month end / quarter end with the LCI out will be excellent buys.
thank you sir for the information . I am waiting on the order guide for the 2018 230i .
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For economizing, I'd suggest skipping metallic paint, cold weather pckg, leather, and adjustable seats (and the HK system but you didn't list that). The packages are so personal that it is up to you - for every person who has to have s/t, there is another who finds it useless, and I think we ALL feel ripped off by extra pricey crap added in we didn't want. Skip the lard (moonroof, exec/comfort, adj seats) and I think your resale will still be good for future sportsters looking for the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #33
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I designed a car with the configurator on their website, my minimum requirements for the car are included. You can check the build with this code: DBTPCQ3W
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #34
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

I did not get the power seats and that's just fine. I did not get the backup camera and it would have been nice to have since rear visibility is poor. As a DD the standard wheels, tires, brakes, handling etc are all good. RWD is good in snow due to excellent traction control.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #35
ThePostman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Make sure you go and test carplay before you bother... I got it on my M240 and after a couple of weeks I turned it off in favor of the built in software, it honestly works much better and you can use the whole screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #36
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Alpine white, thp, headlights and maybe m sport package and call it a day. I'd say 6MT too, but I don't believe that you can get that with an X drive.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #37
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
With the potential for damage and the cost of dismounting/mounting/balancing each time, it quickly becomes advantageous to order a set of narrow (better capability on snow/ice) winter tires on modestly priced wheels from tirerack.com. Look for a square set (same size front/rear) 205/50-17 or 215/50-17 of Michelin XIcexi3 or Blizzak WS80 for most winter capability. They even have local approved installers who may store your off-season set for you. Be sure to specify MSport brakes so the 17s they offer fit over the MSport brake calipers in the THP.
I put Blizzaks on modestly priced wheels on my RWD Honda S2000. Night and day difference. The Potenzas rode in snow once and that was enough for me. Barely got home.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #38
TheFix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:

Good choice. Cold weather I cant knock because I live in florida and didn't need it but the other 3 options are great. I cant imaging not having track handling at this point. As another poster noted when in comfort it rides like a regular 230 but sport and sport plus you can have some real fun. Not to mention how sexy those big blue brakes are on the car. Brake dust for days though....

As far as lighting it should be a crime not to have those lights on a bmw. Halogen in 2017 for a BMW should be banned as a factory setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #39
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I put Blizzaks on modestly priced wheels on my RWD Honda S2000. Night and day difference. The Potenzas rode in snow once and that was enough for me. Barely got home.
For those looking for "modestly priced" wheels consider stepping up for the sport edition in-house tire rack brand to something like an Enkei or BBS. Not a lot more but definitely worth the $ from a quality / value standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #40
MNnorth
Rep
Drives: Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdillardstang View Post
I think the 230i for 2018 starts july 17 2017 .
My salesguy verified this today, says that July 17th is first build date for the 2018 230i; therefore, he says, orders for them will begin in late May or early June.

Since I, too, am preparing to order a 230i and am trying to spec a version that skips the fluff, I appreciate all the feedback in this thread. Looks like there's a real range of priorities in the opinions, everything from wanting a practical daily driver to preferring a potential track-day car. That brings up a question I have: some of you recommend the lighting package.....does that package actually hold a significant practical benefit (e.g. shines farther ahead), or is it primarily a "cool factor" item?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #41
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNnorth View Post
My salesguy verified this today, says that July 17th is first build date for the 2018 230i; therefore, he says, orders for them will begin in late May or early June.

Since I, too, am preparing to order a 230i and am trying to spec a version that skips the fluff, I appreciate all the feedback in this thread. Looks like there's a real range of priorities in the opinions, everything from wanting a practical daily driver to preferring a potential track-day car. That brings up a question I have: some of you recommend the lighting package.....does that package actually hold a significant practical benefit (e.g. shines farther ahead), or is it primarily a "cool factor" item?
For me having the cat eyes was a must. Also, it's been widely reported that the halogen bulbs are crap. Obviously you can address that with aftermarket bulbs. Retrofitting the HIDs after going with the halogen setup is more expensive than just getting the option from the dealer and hard to piece together. Lastly, the turning of the headlights into corners is actually really really nice. I have to go down a road with no streetlights to get to my neighborhood, so it's been very nice for that.

Regardless of which route you go you'll likely need to adjust the aim of the lights. They come pointing too low from the factory.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #42
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:

Get the lighting package... If you try to do it after the fact, it'll cost thousands so it won't be worth the cost. A friend said it was over 3 grand easy, so he gave up. Also the IIHS Good rating for the headlights is based on the HIDs, not the standard halogen lights.
      04-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #43
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Back up camera.

Your friends who drive any other modern day car, who got one standard, will make fun of you if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #44
tdillardstang
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:

I want the m sport package , lighting package . the rest will have to wait until the order guide comes out . I have to be careful about how I spec my car . I will be taking it to Colombia when I retire . I have to think about how I am going to get repair parts .
Appreciate 0