THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum The end is nigh for the 6 cyl engine!

04-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #23
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
If Porsche's gone to four bangers in their 718 S models...why wouldn't BMW do it in the 2er. In fact, the 4 will probably be the top end engine...the base cars will likely be 3 bangers!
Given BMW's investment in the "B" series modular engines and its abandonment of the 3 pot engine in the Mini line for the B48 I dont see any reason why they would FOLLOW other companies instead of distinguishing themselves further

The 6 pot engine insnt going anywhere

You dont buy a BMW to fit in with the rest of the lemmings....or most dont at least
I don't know...here in la there are an awful lot of 320i 328i 528i lemmings sporting 17s and dull black window trim!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
I don't know...here in la there are an awful lot of 320i 328i 528i lemmings sporting 17s and dull black window trim!!!
Would not the "lemmings" be the ones rushing to fit in to the "scene", adding unsprung weight and rotating mass with larger wheels for the sake of trying to look "cooler" than the next guy? Lots of 19" and 20" wheels running around suburbs and mall parking lots.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #25
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Would not the "lemmings" be the ones rushing to fit in to the "scene", adding unsprung weight and rotating mass with larger wheels for the sake of trying to look "cooler" than the next guy? Lots of 19" and 20" wheels running around suburbs and mall parking lots.
no, those are just tools!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #26
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
As long as x-drive is offered and produces more power, some of us arent stuck on the true driving experience myth of rwd / manual.
After owning 22 cars, I'll tell you it's certainly not a myth,
      04-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #27
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As long as x-drive is offered and produces more power, some of us arent stuck on the true driving experience myth of rwd / manual.
Xdrive, Quattro, 4MATIC, etc. (or any part of the drivetrain other than the engine) produce zero power. Engines produce power.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #28
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Xdrive, Quattro, 4MATIC, etc. (or any part of the drivetrain other than the engine) produce zero power. Engines produce power.
Where did i say awd produces more power? I said that as long as xdrive is still offered in regards to the crying about the constant rwd argument of the "true driving experience" and the ENGINE produces more power than its fine with me.

EDIT : so xdrive doesn't give me an added 50 HP??? CRAZY!!!
      04-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As long as x-drive is offered and produces more power...
Quote:
Where did i say awd produces more power? I said that as long as xdrive is still offered in regards to the crying about the constant rwd argument of the "true driving experience" and the ENGINE produces more power than its fine with me.
You said it right there...see your first quote.

You now are substituting "engine" for "xdrive" as the subject. But, the new statement is also incorrect. The power production of an engine does not vary based on the drivetrain downstream of it. The engine is the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #30
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You said it right there...see your first quote.

You now are substituting "engine" for "xdrive" as the subject. But, the new statement is also incorrect. The power production of an engine does not vary based on the drivetrain downstream of it. The engine is the engine.
wooooow.... . My post reflected the crying about rwd. The main thread is in reference to losing the 6 cylinder engine correct? So my response was if you can follow along...as long as xdrive is offered and produces more power is a response in reference to BOTH the engine ( losing 6 cycler ) and drivetrain ( crying about switching to another vehicle if no rwd ) . I'm not that stupid, if I was I would have bought a 228. Next time I post I will make sure its clear as day so you don't have any issues lol
      04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
wooooow.... . My post reflected the crying about rwd. The main thread is in reference to losing the 6 cylinder engine correct? So my response was if you can follow along...as long as xdrive is offered and produces more power is a response in reference to BOTH the engine ( losing 6 cycler ) and drivetrain ( crying about switching to another vehicle if no rwd ) . I'm not that stupid, if I was I would have bought a 228. Next time I post I will make sure its clear as day so you don't have any issues lol
No one suggested you were stupid. However, English is a precise tool in the hands of a talented user. Clarity is always the goal for which to strive.

But, no need to concern yourself about me regarding your future posts. Your need to lash out with the irrelevant 228i reference just undermined all credibility in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #32
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
I think the main issue that most enthusiasts have with it moving to a fwd drivetrain is that, even with xdrive it'll still have a front wheel bias.
      04-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #33
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

#
      04-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #34
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No one suggested you were stupid. However, English is a precise tool in the hands of a talented user. Clarity is always the goal for which to strive.

But, no need to concern yourself about me regarding your future posts. Your need to lash out with the irrelevant 228i reference just undermined all credibility in my eyes.
some of you take these forums way to serious lol
      04-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Last offer of assistance....

"Some of you take these forums way too seriously."

And, "way" should be "far".
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #36
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Last offer of assistance....

"Some of you take these forums way too seriously."

And, "way" should be "far".
haha! hilarious! Thanks grammar nazi ?
      04-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

I don't know. New 718 Cayman and Boxster seem to be doing fine w/ their new 4 cyl motors. The only complaint I read about is the engine sound. Seriously? That's it?

Seems like each year brings better performance and gas mileage, so I'm not concerned about any any impending changes (real or perceived).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #38
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I don't know. New 718 Cayman and Boxster seem to be doing fine w/ their new 4 cyl motors. The only complaint I read about is the engine sound. Seriously? That's it?

Seems like each year brings better performance and gas mileage, so I'm not concerned about any any impending changes (real or perceived).

4 is fine as long as it makes the power of the current 6's and is reliable. Which is highly possible. The other part is I want RWD. If the 2 series goes to FWD, I'll look for the next RWD car, when it comes to a Sports sedan.

Isn't the 2.3L Ecoboost making 300+ hp already? I read a news article yesterday that said there's an OH dealer that's selling some performance kit for the 4 Ecoboost, that has it putting out 500+ hp.
      04-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #39
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
4 is fine as long as it makes the power of the current 6's and is reliable. Which is highly possible. The other part is I want RWD. If the 2 series goes to FWD, I'll look for the next RWD car, when it comes to a Sports sedan.

Isn't the 2.3L Ecoboost making 300+ hp already? I read a news article yesterday that said there's an OH dealer that's selling some performance kit for the 4 Ecoboost, that has it putting out 500+ hp.
I saw the OH dealer thing...nuts!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #40
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post

The 718 is on the short list for my next car, along with M2/M4. I don't think the problem is necessarily with the motor. If Porsche made the boxster an all wheel drive, transverse motor in front of the driver, that'll be a problem. For me, the same applies to the 2 series. If it's FWD/AWD with a transverse motor, I'm out.
Appreciate 2
fbsm743.00
      04-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #41
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Never assume...and there's no indication that the 2-Series will use the Mini platform like the current X1. Much ado about pure speculation.
Isn't the 2 Series Active and Gran Tourer built on the mini platform?

...on which the next gen 1 Series will also be built.

Makes economic sense to use a common platform to build upon. Enthusiasts are the minority.
Litchfield built M235i - Astoril blue, 6MT, Custom Akrapovic exhaust, AST 5100 suspension, Quaife differential, Eibach anti roll bars, Radtec intercooler, custom trimmed steering wheel, Litchfield remap
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #42
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland View Post
Isn't the 2 Series Active and Gran Tourer built on the mini platform?

...on which the next gen 1 Series will also be built.

Makes economic sense to use a common platform to build upon. Enthusiasts are the minority.
Of the articles Ive read, Mini Countryman and Tourer share platform and components. Purposely built to fill a void IMO, not to revamp and entire line.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #43
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Unfortunately this is the road we are heading towards, the engine size will be reduced as much as possible to fit in to all new regulations around the world, and this is the road we have to take unfortunately but what bothers me the most about this, Is the fact that there is so much "warfare" going on against cars and the transportation sector and the car enthusiast will feel the biggest hit of them all, Witch is you and me and people on this forums who enjoys our cars in different ways then the average commuter who travels from A to B, What we can hope for is that BMW puts in an extra gear of developing the EVS so they turn out to be as fun as the current cars have been.

Sens the politicians are shit scared to attack any big corporation around the world like the massive fishing industry & the wood industry who is tearing town our rain forest to provide breathing grounds for animals that is used for food production, Instead they are then targeting the regular person and that is why we are seeing this type of regulations. Or the massive energy companies that is still burning oil & coals for electric production witch is actually sad when we got nuclear power witch today is capable of using 85% of its energy in the rods.

But you can pretty much ask anyone what would you rather give up, Meat & dairy products or your car? Most people will say the car, so unfortunately the car as we know it today doesn't have a bright future, but not only due to regulations but also due to the combustion engine itself, it lacks development possibilities sens we are at the end of the line with them as for now.

Unless they can develop combustion engines with emissions witch isn't damaging to our enivorment, if not then the future of the combustion engine is bleak. If they manage to develop a combustion engine as fun as today's engines with zero toxic and dangerous emissions, mark my word the next point of attack for them will be something in line with "well the car is used so little during and day and takes so much room around towns that they need to be removed to leave areas for parks and houses"
Appreciate 0