THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How reliable has your 2-series car been so far?

10-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #45
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Wow I just read through a large portion of that F30 N20 thread. The 2 series had the same engine, has anyone run into that problem yet?

Also has anyone heard how the reliability on the new turbo 4 engine was for the years that its been in the Minis?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #46
bmwqt
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

I've pretty much eliminated the 228i as an option now after reading so many issues with N20. It would be more than suited for me, but I rather pay more and have a lower risk of catastrophic failures.

So basically my search now is for 2015 or 2016 M235i, M/T. I saw one last weekend and it was gone in 2 days. It will probably take months until I find another one at a good price.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #47
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I haven't had one issue with my N20 in almost 40K miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #48
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwqt View Post
That's also what I observed. I saw most people here comenting "other than X, no issues". For a car less than 2 years old, I would expect ZERO issues after paying over $40k, specially if the repair is over $1k. My Mustang will reach 6 years in a few months, and I only had to replace a gas tank sensor.

People mentioned I shouldn't be scared about A/T and a sunroof because they are definitely reliable and should have no issues. And then hours later someone complains exactly about the sunroof making noise:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317778
Trannies go out on cars past 100k miles. I dont think there are any owners with ZF8 and those miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #49
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
my 250 had the gearbox and clutch replaced under warranty at 105k. They claimed they were able to machine the DMF to "spec". Right front wheel hub was pooched at 45k and had to get walnut blasted at 70k for carbon buildup.

The 350 had cam gears and torque converter changed at 50k. Later at 85k, it was scheduled for a full replacement of transfer case, transmission and another torque converter changed because the first didn't solve the drive line shudder/vibrations under load. I think we actually ran into this another thread as well but I can't recall lol....

I mean most people have great experiences with their cars but I did not.
Yeah 250 has a crappy engine and IS manual transmission is not that great either. 350 cam gears was a recall I believe. Mine is RWD so no transfer case issues )) I only heard about the auto tranny issues due to life-time fluid thats impossible to replace apparently. I am coming up to a 1 major maintenance now and not sure what to do with tranny and rear diff fluids....Lexus keeps saying just leave them alone lol

I ended up with IS for reliability reasons, even wanted to get ISF as well, but prices are sky high on them because of "Lexus Reliability"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #50
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k
Quote:
my 250 had the gearbox and clutch replaced under warranty at 105k. They claimed they were able to machine the DMF to "spec". Right front wheel hub was pooched at 45k and had to get walnut blasted at 70k for carbon buildup.

The 350 had cam gears and torque converter changed at 50k. Later at 85k, it was scheduled for a full replacement of transfer case, transmission and another torque converter changed because the first didn't solve the drive line shudder/vibrations under load. I think we actually ran into this another thread as well but I can't recall lol....

I mean most people have great experiences with their cars but I did not.
Yeah 250 has a crappy engine and IS manual transmission is not that great either. 350 cam gears was a recall I believe. Mine is RWD so no transfer case issues )) I only heard about the auto tranny issues due to life-time fluid thats impossible to replace apparently. I am coming up to a 1 major maintenance now and not sure what to do with tranny and rear diff fluids....Lexus keeps saying just leave them alone lol

I ended up with IS for reliability reasons, even wanted to get ISF as well, but prices are sky high on them because of "Lexus Reliability"
I had Lexus do my rear diff fluid on the 250. For the auto tranny fluid - a good Indy shop will do it but they can only swap about 30% of the fluid. A lot of guys on the Lexus forums still did it for peace of mind and said it helped a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #51
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I had Lexus do my rear diff fluid on the 250. For the auto tranny fluid - a good Indy shop will do it but they can only swap about 30% of the fluid. A lot of guys on the Lexus forums still did it for peace of mind and said it helped a bit.
Thanks. Yeah i read about that 30%, some drive and do it 3 time in short time to make sure fluid is clean. I wonder if its even safe to do at 60-65k miles. Alot of times you can actually kill your tranny by changing the fluid. I am going to talk to my Lexus mechanic and the dealer. I want the car to last.

Same with M235i. These life-time fluids is a nightmare. I called my BMW dealer and they dont even want to do any of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #52
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

No major issues to report for my 2er. There are some quality issues. Lots of rattles but nothing has actually broke.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #53
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm only at about 8k miles and 11 months on my 228, but absolutely no problems. I do plan to look into extended warranty, because even 'routine' stuff is mind-roastingly expensive.

Your thinking about reliability goes counter to what I've always believed (and much comes from friends who routinely trade and repair). If an MT is what you want, go for it, but don't buy one for reliability (and get a chem test of the trans oil to look for metal, if you do). Manual trannies are more reliable IF you are the one using them, but they are vulnerable to the "money-shift" and misuse. The potential for operator error means that you can do much more damage than you can to an automatic, and much of this can be hidden and not show until later (engine, as well as tranny). This is compounded by the low number of people who know how to drive stick who might use it, and it can just take one bad ride (girlfriend borrows it, bonehead at the dealership has to move it on the lot, valet parking, even those early test drives). Especially when an MT car is put up for sale early, it raises suspicions. On the plus side, I hear they are harder to sell used, so you should be able to get them to come down on price.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #54
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I've pretty much eliminated the 228i as an option now after reading so many issues with N20. It would be more than suited for me, but I rather pay more and have a lower risk of catastrophic failures.

So basically my search now is for 2015 or 2016 M235i, M/T. I saw one last weekend and it was gone in 2 days. It will probably take months until I find another one at a good price.
Once again, I'll reiterate what I posted in post #12 of this thread here:

The 2 Series is the most reliable car in its class. For three years in a row. This is from Consumer Reports, which not only gathers survey data on problems, but culls repair statistics and factors that in. Keep in mind that '2 Series' includes cars with both the N20 (228i) and N55 (M235i) engines.

Furthermore, the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating give the 2 Series a "Better Than Most" rating for 2016 and an "About Average" rating for 2014-15 models. The rating is against all production cars; not just those in its class. This falls in line with CR's data.

OP, please stop emphasizing forums as a gauge for reliability. It is as skewed a cross-section as you'll find for any car (as my anecdote with the Lexus CT in the post above demonstrates), not just ours. Nearly as unreliable is the other answers in this thread, but those answers do provide a basis for what the statistical data forms above bear out, which is this:

You cannot buy a more reliable car in this class than the 2 Series. Period. End of discussion.

:: drops mic ::
Appreciate 4
      10-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #55
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:

The 2 Series is the most reliable car in its class. For three years in a row. This is from Consumer Reports, which not only gathers survey data on problems, but culls repair statistics and factors that in. Keep in mind that '2 Series' includes cars with both the N20 (228i) and N55 (M235i) engines.

Furthermore, the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating give the 2 Series a "Better Than Most" rating for 2016 and an "About Average" rating for 2014-15 models. The rating is against all production cars; not just those in its class. This falls in line with CR's data.

OP, please stop emphasizing forums as a gauge for reliability. It is as skewed a cross-section as you'll find for any car (as my anecdote with the Lexus CT in the post above demonstrates), not just ours. Nearly as unreliable is the other answers in this thread, but those answers do provide a basis for what the statistical data forms above bear out, which is this:

You cannot buy a more reliable car in this class than the 2 Series. Period. End of discussion.

+1. I forget the exact statistics but people are MUCH more likely to publicly complain about a problem than speak up if they are happy. Forums will give you horribly skewed data from that perspective. Just think about it yourself, are you more inclined to (a) have a perfectly reliable car and just decide one day to start a thread about how it it hasn't been to the shop or (b) have a problem, spend a bunch of money, then come here to bitch to anyone who will listen that BMW screwed you and the car is a piece of shit and you're getting an Audi or whatever else next.

I'm not talking about any single person in particular, but it has been scientifically proven by those much smarter than me that people, in general, behave that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #56
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

I have a 2016 228i with the N26 engine. Had to get my ZF8 tranny replaced under warranty at about 6K miles. It was making a whining/winding up noise when accelerating at lower gears. Seems like an isolated issue though based on my SA, and everything has been fine for the last 1500 miles since the replacement.

No other issues though other than the fact that the car was built without the factory standard alarm system. BMW NA sent me a check for that though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #57
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Lots of manufacturers slip a lemon through now and then. This sounds like one of them. No panic here. I was thinking of the 100k warranty only because I keep my cars for long time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #58
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

Amen brother, thank you for that statement.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #59
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

N20 15 Months no issues!

I have had my N20 228i for 14 months, 10,000 miles with no issues at all. I did purchase an extended warranty but that was because of all of the electronics on the car. I am expecting the engine and transmission to be rock solid! Better be for $45k!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #60
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

2014 228i exhaust flap pin defective....balance sensor repaired today keeps lights level in car...other than that no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #61
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
I have a 2016 228i with the N26 engine. Had to get my ZF8 tranny replaced under warranty at about 6K miles. It was making a whining/winding up noise when accelerating at lower gears. Seems like an isolated issue though based on my SA, and everything has been fine for the last 1500 miles since the replacement.

No other issues though other than the fact that the car was built without the factory standard alarm system. BMW NA sent me a check for that though.
Can you give more details on the tranny noise? Were any error codes stored? I'm hearing a metallic buzz/belt whine type noise when accelerating, not sure if it's the tranny though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #62
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Can you give more details on the tranny noise? Were any error codes stored? I'm hearing a metallic buzz/belt whine type noise when accelerating, not sure if it's the tranny though.
No error codes.

Basically every time I accelerated, I could hear a slightly high pitched whining noise in the background from 2500RPM and above. It kinda sounded like the turbo spooling, but a bit different sound. Sorta like in older cars when there is interference with the speakers when accelerating. Hard to describe.

It was really noticeably with windows up and radio off, and especially in 1st and 2nd gear, but hard to tell where it's coming from.

SA compared with a similar vehicle to make sure the sound wasn't normal. He initially thought it might be from the audio system, but turned out to be the tranny.

If your hearing a noise and your sure it isn't the turbo, would recommend taking it in to get it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #63
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Similar to the whine you get when reversing?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #64
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Similar to the whine you get when reversing?
Yeah I would say it is somewhat similar, or even like a tire slightly rubbing on something. I wish I had taken a video to share.

Basically you shouldn't be hearing any kind of whining noise when accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #65
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
Basically you shouldn't be hearing any kind of whining noise when accelerating.
Depends who's sitting next to you...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 4
pz6193277.00
mumps22.50
raleedy160.00
      10-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #66
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Depends who's sitting next to you...