THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Suggestion for cell phone mount

03-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #45
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Oh, not by a long shot. All it means is that the vents are blowing warm air. The coolant lets you know that the head temperature around the cylinders is up. The oil temperature is important in that the temperature of the other main moving parts (bearings et al) are fully warmed and ready to go.

I'll have coolant up over 200 within 5 miles of leaving my house. At that point, the oil isn't even past 160. You need a minimum of 10, more likely 15, miles of driving at highway speed before your engine is warmed up (oil >200F) on a below freezing day.
You can check the level of oil using the car settings menu but only when the car is warmed up will it let you. I actually waited and at 140f oil is warmed and will let you view it. This was also @ 160f on the coolant meter. I understand within a few miles it warms, but if you just start it and watch the temps using Torque, this is an easy way to tell when the car is at its minimum level.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #46
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_e90 View Post
You can check the level of oil using the car settings menu but only when the car is warmed up will it let you. I actually waited and at 140f oil is warmed and will let you view it. This was also @ 160f on the coolant meter. I understand within a few miles it warms, but if you just start it and watch the temps using Torque, this is an easy way to tell when the car is at its minimum level.
Yeah, no kidding, to all of the above. You can get it from torque, you can get it from the maintenance menu (not the settings), and any number of places.

However, the issue is your definition of "minimum level" for the engine to be "warm". 140F isn't it, nor is 160F. 160F for oil temperature is the typical "stay under 3000 rpm" point you will see people quote for a turbo engine, and "don't lean on it until over 200F" is another. The fact that the vehicle info screen lets you see the oil level doesn't indicate the engine is warm.

There's a reason for this. Take a crankshaft. Assume a nominal length of 18" and assume it's constructed of steel. A typical steel will have a thermal expansion coefficient of .0000073 in/(in degF). Say I roll out of my house right now (24F) and fire my car up. As I drive the engine temperature will climb to 240F. The crankshaft will grow (0.0000073*216*18 inches) = 0.028" in length. Everything fit into a bearing will grow along with the crankshaft, and all of them will increased in diameter. The bearings will grow radially, tightening the internal and external channels.

Where is it at 140F? Just about half of that growth. Everything is still working to get fit together. You don't want to hit the engine hard at that point, because the critical bearings and shafts (think oil-cooled turbochargers at a couple of hundred thousand rpm) aren't close to fully seated yet.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #47
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
This looks great. I have a Koomus magnetic one and it works well but much bigger, i like the smaller footprint of yours. But the mount doesn't swivel right? Does that get annoying?
Bumping this thread because even though its old, I bought the koomus cd mount and can't find any other mention of it here

After one short use it had bent the illuminated line on top of the inside of my CD player which is killing my OCD and I'm trying to figure out if it's an easy fix of removing the unit and pushing that part back into place or if I have to try to learn not to look at it

DO NOT buy one of these cd mounts, I certainly wish I hadn't

Last edited by Mr Carrots; 02-12-2017 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #48
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Bumping this thread because even though its old, I bought the koomus cd mount and can't find any other mention of it here

After one short use it had bent the illuminated line on top of the inside of my CD player which is killing my OCD and I'm trying to figure out if it's an easy fix of removing the unit and pushing that part back into place or if I have to try to learn not to look at it

DO NOT buy one of these cd mounts, I certainly wish I hadn't
Sorry to hear that, good to know. I have the vent mount (not the CD one) and it worked fine on most of my cars and rentals that I've used it with.
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #49
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Sorry to hear that, good to know. I have the vent mount (not the CD one) and it worked fine on most of my cars and rentals that I've used it with.
I should have realized it would be an issue given the size of the mounts cd brace

Looks like the replacement cd frontplate with buttons and strip is about $80 OEM - should have just bought the proclip in the first place lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #50
josedebardi
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebush121 View Post
Here is what I did. A swivel magnetic mount I found on amazon for about $10. I had an old cell phone lying around, put Torque on it and used one of my OBD2 bluetooth adapters.

Reviving this thread again.

I plan to do very similar, running an old android to get bluetooth data from a JB4 and want it semi-permanently mounted. I can't tell from the angle of the photo if your placement is making the use of the cup holders a pain or not? I don't get the car until June but doing research to buy bits ahead of time so can't measure if a phone mounted there is too low over the cup holders to prevent easy access?
2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #51
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

The best place for anyone's Smartphone while driving is in their pocket. I'm just speaking as someone who narrowly avoided a head-on collision last year because some bimbo was starring at her Smartphone and crossed over into my lane. If I hadn't been paying attention, we'd probably both be dead.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #52
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by josedebardi View Post
Reviving this thread again.

I plan to do very similar, running an old android to get bluetooth data from a JB4 and want it semi-permanently mounted. I can't tell from the angle of the photo if your placement is making the use of the cup holders a pain or not? I don't get the car until June but doing research to buy bits ahead of time so can't measure if a phone mounted there is too low over the cup holders to prevent easy access?
It's a magnet phone mount (old phone) and is just held on by double sided sticky tape above the cup holders. Both were still usable. I took it off a few months ago to ship the car back to the US (can't have anything inside the car.) I do plan on remounting it when all my stuff gets here. The tape didn't hurt anything on the dash and there are no signs anything was ever there.
Appreciate 1