THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum E82 135i to M235i - initial owner review

05-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #177
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Went in to Dreyer & Reinbold Northside and placed my order. No specific allocation yet but they have not received any additional allocations since launch (only 3) and I've been assured by my CA and manager that my order will be take the next allocation they receive. They expect that to be mid-April or earlier.

Hopefully by summertime there will be another M235i roaming Indy!
Happened to be in the DR northside area Saturday afternoon and decided to swing by to see if they had any 235's on the lot.

Turns out they had two Sapphire Blacks in stock, one in the showroom and the other in the front lot that is a demo vehicle.

Visually I really dig the front facia. It's nice and aggressive and a decided improvement in my eyes over the stock 135 facia.

But I still prefer the side and rear appearance and profile of the E82, plus the E82 was unequivocally distinct that it could never be confused with any of the other series.

I parked the 1 M right next to the 235 and although statistically the numbers say the 235 is the larger car, because of the muscular sheetmetal of the 1 M dimensionally I didn't see a decided difference.

In my eyes if they had mildly tweaked and refreshed the E82 side and rear and stuck the F22 front facia on it this car would border on being mind blowing.

If I were in the market and had to have a new vehicle now there's no way I wouldn't be getting either the 228 or 235.

One of the CA's there said he was originally going to get the 228 over the 235 because it handled as well and felt lighter when he drove the two back-to-back, but ultimately once he started loading it with preferred options it didn't make sense not to go with the 235.

The F3# and F8# are virtual land barges (albeit speedy ones), and so are out of play for me.

But before leaving I did find out D&R expects to receive their Sapphire black M4 demo in about 6 six weeks.

So, maybe then I'll have the necessary time to test drive both the 235 and M4 to provide reference points between both and the 1 M.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #178
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Good review.

I agree the 135i has a "face" only a mother could love. It really takes time getting used to that look.

Also agree with "single and not even a dog". I don't see the point of making these cars bigger. That's what the 3 series has become.

About pissing off Chevys I'm sure you're familiar with the right lane passing at intersections in Chicago. It's the only way to get anywhere in Chicago given the midwest lack of a sense of urgency. People take 10 seconds to recognize a green light. So positioned in the right (turning) lane all kinds of fools think your tiny little car is in fact some form of Chevy or Mazda or even Kia. I've had anything from Camry hybrids to SUVs try to cut me off from passing them from the right on green. They really have no clue about the power our cars are packing. The car is a wolf in sheep's clothing more so the uglier, smaller 135i.

As for DCT I had most of my issues resolved with an update to the "latest integration level". Still having a stick is what I miss most and the only thing beckoning me to the 235i. The one big issue being the weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #179
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFranknFurter View Post
I'm affraid the Corporate Grille or face is here to stay for most if not all manufacturers. It's about branding and up selling people into the next higher model each time they change. The good thing is if you like the look of one you will prob like the look of most if not all that brands models. Of course the opposite can be said. I like the look and especially the interiors on Audi's but they are so similar it's almost imposible to tell them apart when in your rear view mirror!
Seriously can't tell an A6 apart from an A4 most of the time. As for this "upselling" they like to do I will never go for it. I know they always try to put me in a bigger loaner and the service guy even told me they do so to get you to "upgrade". The thing is every family needs a commuter car and nobody will get me to commute in a 3 or a 5. I don't need to drive a boat to work and I don't need the size of my car to make up for the lack of size of parts of my body.

Even with $4/gas they still want to get you buy cars bigger than you need. And to make up for the gas price they went and put a 4 banger in a massively larger 5 series. I get that they had them in the 80s but these cars are a whole size class larger if not more.

When I see a 528i I know someone just got upsold. Culturally people think bigger is better and even $4 gas hasn't changed that. We won't reverse this trend of size creep and cost cutting on the smaller models until that culture changes. BMW may be a german company but the cars are designed more for quantity over quality loving americans.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #180
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMorgan View Post
Good review.

I agree the 135i has a "face" only a mother could love. It really takes time getting used to that look.

Also agree with "single and not even a dog". I don't see the point of making these cars bigger. That's what the 3 series has become.

About pissing off Chevys I'm sure you're familiar with the right lane passing at intersections in Chicago. It's the only way to get anywhere in Chicago given the midwest lack of a sense of urgency. People take 10 seconds to recognize a green light. So positioned in the right (turning) lane all kinds of fools think your tiny little car is in fact some form of Chevy or Mazda or even Kia. I've had anything from Camry hybrids to SUVs try to cut me off from passing them from the right on green. They really have no clue about the power our cars are packing. The car is a wolf in sheep's clothing more so the uglier, smaller 135i.

As for DCT I had most of my issues resolved with an update to the "latest integration level". Still having a stick is what I miss most and the only thing beckoning me to the 235i. The one big issue being the weight.

The size of cars has generally gotten to an insane level, especially here in the US - I travel a decent amount for work in EMEA and Latin America, and you see more SUVs and the like in your average Kroger parking lot here than you do in an entire week in one of those locations. It's really quite interesting - folks in other parts of the world just don't want or need as much room.

As for the Midwest...I think the Wisconsin drivers are seriously the worst - you know how two heart cells will beat the exact same rhythm when they come in contact with one another? It's the same with the WI cars - I have never been anywhere else that has so many people content to drive the exact same speed at the car next to them

In terms of the manual, I am glad I am back having one - it really does make the daily commute more fun. And the weight, somehow, doesn't feel substantially greater on the 2er compared to the 1er. It just feels a little bit bigger, all around.

I think we will see the Jenny Craig diet on the M2 - which will be phenominal if they make it as good as they can.
      05-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #181
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
[QUOTE=IndyMike;15943213]I parked the 1 M right next to the 235 and although statistically the numbers say the 235 is the larger car, because of the muscular sheetmetal of the 1 M dimensionally I didn't see a decided difference.

In my eyes if they had mildly tweaked and refreshed the E82 side and rear and stuck the F22 front facia on it this car would border on being mind blowing.
QUOTE]

^ Precisely - and that's what I think they will do with the M2 - it will have some nice hips like the 1M and a "tighter" ass region.

If it gets into that E46 M3 weight range (3300 ish pounds) you might have the best car they have built in a really long time.
      05-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #182
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post

The size of cars has generally gotten to an insane level, especially here in the US - I travel a decent amount for work in EMEA and Latin America, and you see more SUVs and the like in your average Kroger parking lot here than you do in an entire week in one of those locations. It's really quite interesting - folks in other parts of the world just don't want or need as much room.

As for the Midwest...I think the Wisconsin drivers are seriously the worst - you know how two heart cells will beat the exact same rhythm when they come in contact with one another? It's the same with the WI cars - I have never been anywhere else that has so many people content to drive the exact same speed at the car next to them

In terms of the manual, I am glad I am back having one - it really does make the daily commute more fun. And the weight, somehow, doesn't feel substantially greater on the 2er compared to the 1er. It just feels a little bit bigger, all around.

I think we will see the Jenny Craig diet on the M2 - which will be phenominal if they make it as good as they can.
Ha Ha! Yeah I never can understand why people will drive at exactly the same speed next to each other. It's so brainless that words can't express my feelings on that topic. Should either vehicle need to make an emergency maneuver out of the lane they will hit each other.

The concept of the passing lane is completely absent. In fact according the Illinois "rules of the road" manual there is no passing lane and all lanes are "driving" lanes. They've thrown all common sense out of the window. So even driver education is so flawed that we cannot even have hope that one day people will learn to use and share the road properly. Speaking of sharing, that is another absent concept. The person who wants to turn left only cares about themselves, they have not a concern about the people behind them who also need to make that turn. If driving is so scary that mere survival is the only concern then I feel they shouldn't be on the road. Speaking of being on the road I've never seen so many people drive like they have no reason or purpose for being on it in the first place.

I've seen jammed up 20MPH traffic up until a point and when I pass the jam I've seen just plain empty road. There was no reason at all for the jam - none whatsoever. You'll see that when you take the blue line train at times. Jammed up traffic and at some point clear open road. It's just terrible driver mentality. Contrast that with driving on the NJ turnpike. It's as close to autobahn driving as I've seen in the US. Left lane always free with cars passing at 100MPH. People don't get in that lane unless they are passing. Just some observations on the cultural aspects of road use between the two regions.

Anyway getting back to the topic, I miss having a manual and while there will be painful left leg moments - thanks in large part to "fake" stop and go zones - it is by far the more involving way to drive. The connection between you and your machine is like nothing else. Your foot controls precisely the way power is sent from your engine to your wheels. Nothing can be better than that. While some will argue that there are computers controlling the engine and the e-diff you still can learn to launch without engaging those systems. That's also something I wonder about. Even with PSSs on my 135i I have the DTC engage often, I'll bet the systems are much better tuned on the M235i. Especially since the PSS is the stock tire on that car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #183
elz7173
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Interesting read as a new member and almost a BMW owner.....M135 arrives next week.
I only test drove the M235 as there wasn't a 135 for demo but couldn't really afford it...I'm pushing the boat out a bit for M135.
Getting out of a Fiesta ST2 the 235 was phenomenal and I was sold on the auto transmission. Even my wife who has never driven an auto was impressed although her main role is choosing the colour ! Estoril.....
Role on next week !
Appreciate 0