THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Technology package?

01-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #67
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The Tech package may seem expensive at $1950., but it is a relative bargain compared to the 3 series which charges $2750. for the same package. When I ordered my 235 I compared option prices with other models, the M235i offered good value in the option package department.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #68
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The Tech package may seem expensive at $1950., but it is a relative bargain compared to the 3 series which charges $2750. for the same package. When I ordered my 235 I compared option prices with other models, the M235i offered good value in the option package department.
I always assumed the extra $800 was for the Heads Up Display, which is part of the package on the 3, but not available on the 2. We would have paid the extra $800 if it were available. We have it on our X5, and while it's not perfect (can't see it when wearing polarized sunglasses), we miss it on our 235, especially given that the 2 does not have a digital speed readout, and when I tilt the steering wheel down (the way I like to drive) the wheel blocks much of the analog speedo.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #69
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSumair View Post
How u people spend over $40,000 on a luxury car and bitch about $2,000 high quality car infotainment system goes beyond me.. Next time get a Kia if you want more bang for your buck.. If you're lucky, it might not even have a FM radio!
Yeah, pretty sick of hearing this from people like you. You are the person that would ask why someone didn't buy the $1k 3D Carbon Spoiler as opposed to a $250 spoiler from JBSpeed. Just because you can afford to spend the money on the car, doesn't mean you are going to blindly throw your money into something that doesn't make sense. If I can buy a spoiler for 3/4 less, and it serves the same purpose (aesthetics), why wouldn't I? Same goes for the Tech package, just because a person can afford to do so, if they won't get any use out of it, why would they buy it?

Now for the OP, and the conversation in general, I think the Tech package is 100% worth the money, and I don't see myself ever living without it. But I am not going to question why someone wouldn't want to pony up an additional $2k just because they are spending money on the car in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #70
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Yeah, pretty sick of hearing this from people like you. You are the person that would ask why someone didn't buy the $1k 3D Carbon Spoiler as opposed to a $250 spoiler from JBSpeed. Just because you can afford to spend the money on the car, doesn't mean you are going to blindly throw your money into something that doesn't make sense. If I can buy a spoiler for 3/4 less, and it serves the same purpose (aesthetics), why wouldn't I? Same goes for the Tech package, just because a person can afford to do so, if they won't get any use out of it, why would they buy it?

Quote:
How u people spend over $40,000 on a luxury car and bitch about $2,000 high quality car infotainment system goes beyond me.. Next time get a Kia if you want more bang for your buck.. If you're lucky, it might not even have a FM radio!
There are those of us who actually work hard to make enough money to afford a BMW. This type of person generally doesn't throw money around indiscriminately (unlike many on the General Car Discussion forum ... )

I'm not going to assume what type you are, SSumair. But personally I want value reasonably commensurate with what I spend. The Tech Package was worth it for me; M Performance interior bits -- or, better example: leather -- wasn't. It may be the opposite for you ... or not; I don't know. Just don't go spouting off about 'bang for your buck' with someone who doesn't share your viewpoint on what 'value' is. That kind of narrow mindedness will piss more people off than not, and there's no place for it on these forums.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #71
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Quote:
Most people who can afford a $40k car know what it takes to earn / save that kind of money and that's why we don't tick every option.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #72
stealthwang
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

tech package might be worth it to you, but base idrive is already an upgrade over what i'm used to in my DD. i'll save the money, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #73
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81 View Post
Most people who can afford a $40k car know what it takes to earn / save that kind of money and that's why we don't tick every option.
Well, there's some us who can't control ourselves from ticking every option :-) And if you have been active on this forum for a while, you know that there are far more stories of members eventually ordering cars with more options than originally planned versus the opposite :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #74
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Well, there's some us who can't control ourselves from ticking every option :-)
This syndrome is known by some as "having a tick tick".

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #75
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

BMWs are expensive, but let's face it, most people if they work can afford a car payment, that doesn't mean that they have money to burn. Some people prefer to live well within their means others get themselves in hock up to their armpits. It's a choice, I prefer not to judge.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #76
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
You are all looking at the cost of the tech package from the wrong angle. If the car costs $42k with the tech package, I see this as a HUGE discount if I can get the car for only $40k without the tech package. That's a huge two thousand dollar discount!
      01-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #77
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Also, I can confirmed that new for the 2016 MY, BMW is surprisingly including 4 years of all its subscription based services (minus the 'web browser' and concierge) which includes a cellular-updated navigation maps, that coincides with the factory warranty's expiration date. Previously, new out the dealer, the older systems always felt obsolete and lacking in value and quality, however, this newer version feels like it will be relevant for many years to come and includes so much more then just a navigation guide or anything a modern-day smart phone has to offer.
Completely agree with this. The old version when compared to the new is night and day for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #78
B1nary
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Navigation - Routing

Recognizing that no one may be reading this thread anymore I thought I would come here and pose my question rather than starting a new thread in hope that someone in this thread may be able to help. In the 2018 M240i I have not found a way to send a route from any other program to the cars navigation system. Yes I know you can send a destination and the car will find a route based on your setting in the car. However that doesn't help when I want to go a different or more scenic route. You can use Google Maps to send a destination to your car (provided you register your car and Service Agreement/user name). But again you can send a route. All of which is to ask if anyone has figured out a way to do this (short of picking individual destinations as you travel).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #79
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1nary View Post
Recognizing that no one may be reading this thread anymore I thought I would come here and pose my question rather than starting a new thread in hope that someone in this thread may be able to help. In the 2018 M240i I have not found a way to send a route from any other program to the cars navigation system. Yes I know you can send a destination and the car will find a route based on your setting in the car. However that doesn't help when I want to go a different or more scenic route. You can use Google Maps to send a destination to your car (provided you register your car and Service Agreement/user name). But again you can send a route. All of which is to ask if anyone has figured out a way to do this (short of picking individual destinations as you travel).
I am not aware of a way to do this on any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #80
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
I always assumed the extra $800 was for the Heads Up Display, which is part of the package on the 3, but not available on the 2. We would have paid the extra $800 if it were available. We have it on our X5, and while it's not perfect (can't see it when wearing polarized sunglasses), we miss it on our 235, especially given that the 2 does not have a digital speed readout, and when I tilt the steering wheel down (the way I like to drive) the wheel blocks much of the analog speedo.
You can have the digital speedo coded ON. Its a small readout like the miles till empty, etc. but it might solve your problem
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #81
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I am not aware of a way to do this on any BMW.
B1nary : AFAIK, BMWs of any level have never had this capability. It would require a partnership with a vendor with deep mapping/nav capability -- Google, Apple, Tom Tom, Garmin, and the like -- and complete iDrive integration of that mapping capability.

Let's think about this on the online level. Garmin and Tom Tom use proprietary route data files. Google Maps' route API is based on JavaScript; I doubt iDrive utilizes Java in any of its code. Apple natively hates Java, and its route API, MKDirections, is only compatible with iOS.

Now, consider that BMW developed iDrive in-house and is highly protective of that software. Add to that its historically love-hate relationship with outside software developers primarily because of that hyper-protectionist attitude toward iDrive. See the problem?

There very well may be some carmakers that have the capability to integrate route APIs from one platform into its nav. But more than one? Even the online versions of these mapping programs don't have that capability.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #82
B1nary
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Awesome Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
B1nary : AFAIK, BMWs of any level have never had this capability. It would require a partnership with a vendor with deep mapping/nav capability -- Google, Apple, Tom Tom, Garmin, and the like -- and complete iDrive integration of that mapping capability.

Let's think about this on the online level. Garmin and Tom Tom use proprietary route data files. Google Maps' route API is based on JavaScript; I doubt iDrive utilizes Java in any of its code. Apple natively hates Java, and its route API, MKDirections, is only compatible with iOS.

Now, consider that BMW developed iDrive in-house and is highly protective of that software. Add to that its historically love-hate relationship with outside software developers primarily because of that hyper-protectionist attitude toward iDrive. See the problem?

There very well may be some carmakers that have the capability to integrate route APIs from one platform into its nav. But more than one? Even the online versions of these mapping programs don't have that capability.
That was very informative. Thanks for that.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #83
Mosstradamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I opted out of the technology package.....still regretting it 3 years later
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #84
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I don't know what I did on my BimmerCode or whether it came with my less than one month old m240i but I have a digital speedo in between the speed and rev counter.
I know you could buy coding for it on bimmertech