THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 230i or C300

07-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #45
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

SOLD the C300

I just hated the MB AT transmission in my 2015 C300 . Conversely, the ZF 8 is the best transmission I have ever owned (M235i).
Thank God that the MB was broken into with over 10k in damage -- I would still be driving that piece today.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #46
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones1970 View Post
Yeah, I can get a 2 with leather, M sport, H/K out the door for about 39,500 pre-tax it seems like. Sport suspension is standard on the C coupe, and with the basic premium package and the ABA discount, it seems like it's about 40,500 pre-tax if I get invoice-ish pricing. 4 series coupe with M sport forces me into premium pack, plus H/K puts invoice around 46,500. We'll see. I'm buying (GEICO mechanical warranty for 7 years/100k miles works great for family members) for mileage reasons. Trying to keep my monthly payment around 400/month with a ~22k-ish down payment.

That seems high, my m240ix was 44k before taxes. You could get a lightly used m235i for a reasonable price, I'd take that over the mb or the 230i

BMW leather is junk on these cars, the sensatech looks just as good and ages way better

The 4 series 4 banger version is a laggy boat so I'd pass on that
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #47
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
That was neither my or my wife's opinion after our C43 test drive recently. We felt the M235i did a much better job at absorbing and deadening road imperfections - and we're running RFTs on our M235i.
Could have been that we picked the wrong C43 to test?
All I can tell you is that my M-Sport 335i on non-runflats rides a little smoother than my M-Sport 228i on runflats. Not sure if the MBs have runflats or not - those stiff sidewalls do ride somewhat harsher.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #48
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I thought a C-coupe was at least 10k more than a 230? At least when I was cross shopping for my 228 they were the next level up, and the CLA was the equivalent price-wise (but a true POS in the driving dynamics, and with interior styling by Nickelback).

Obviously need to do your own comparo, but to me the 228 is fine for highway and a real joy for handling and sporty driving in the mountains - if I were wanting a big step up in comfort, I'd probably be looking at Audi or Merc 4dr luxo-coupes.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #49
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I thought a C-coupe was at least 10k more than a 230? At least when I was cross shopping for my 228 they were the next level up, and the CLA was the equivalent price-wise (but a true POS in the driving dynamics, and with interior styling by Nickelback).

Obviously need to do your own comparo, but to me the 228 is fine for highway and a real joy for handling and sporty driving in the mountains - if I were wanting a big step up in comfort, I'd probably be looking at Audi or Merc 4dr luxo-coupes.
I get an ABA (American Bar Association) discount on Mercedes that gets me 2,000 off a Benz, plus dealers in my area are already selling below invoice. I am assuming, here, that they'd honor the ABA discount on top of their usual discount. Once I add M Sport, leather, and HK to a 230i, it's roughly the same price as a C coupe (which has more kit standard, including sport suspension).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #50
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishguy84 View Post
I get an ABA (American Bar Association) discount on Mercedes that gets me 2,000 off a Benz, plus dealers in my area are already selling below invoice. I am assuming, here, that they'd honor the ABA discount on top of their usual discount. Once I add M Sport, leather, and HK to a 230i, it's roughly the same price as a C coupe (which has more kit standard, including sport suspension).
I guess if I ever want a benz, I'll have to actually respond to (and pay for) one of their solicitations!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #51
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I would recommend a 24 hour test drive aka "overnight" test drive. I used to sell cars and most customers found this very useful when having a hard time between 2 models. Drive it on your daily route and see how it feels, you should know it very well which will give you a good idea if the Benz is a good fit or not.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #52
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I would recommend a 24 hour test drive aka "overnight" test drive. I used to sell cars and most customers found this very useful when having a hard time between 2 models. Drive it on your daily route and see how it feels, you should know it very well which will give you a good idea if the Benz is a good fit or not.
I was wondering if they'd let me do that. Anything I should say in particular to make the sa feel it's worth their while to let me put a few miles on the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #53
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I was wondering if they'd let me do that. Anything I should say in particular to make the sa feel it's worth their while to let me put a few miles on the vehicle?
Just request an overnight test drive to the sales guy, it's actually very common these days. Tell them you are still undecided. They will probably ask for a copy of your insurance and license and you should be good to go. Some new cars are sold with 100 and 200 miles on the odo, it happens with cars on the lot. That's what these cars are there for to help customers decide which one to buy/order. As long as you seem sincere and don't have a group of dipshits with you i see no reason why not to honor the request.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 07-21-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #54
Stones1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - buying BMW

Quote:
Just request an overnight test drive to the sales guy, it's actually very common these days. Tell them you are still undecided. They will probably ask for a copy of your insurance and license and you should be good to go. Some new cars are sold with 100 and 200 miles on the odo, it happens with cars on the lot. That's what these cars are there for to help customers decide which one to buy/order. As long as you seem sincere and don't have a group of dipshits with you i see no reason why not to honor the request.
I'll put on a clean shirt

That makes sense to me. I'd certainly rather let someone put 30 miles on a lot car if it increases the odds that I get a 40-45k sale out of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #55
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
I'll put on a clean shirt

That makes sense to me. I'd certainly rather let someone put 30 miles on a lot car if it increases the odds that I get a 40-45k sale out of it.
Go during the week. First of all they will have more time to spend with you, and they also assume (rightfully so) that if you're taking time out of your work week you're more serious about buying than if you show up in a Saturday for big boy play time with their expensive toys.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #56
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I just drove the hell out of the C43 Cab in sport plus and it was a hoot to drive. I was told to calm down several times and apologized with a huge smile. Nothing personal, but I'd re-drive it without your wife you might get a different impression. Great car, except is was $70880 for the one I'd want, and the M240i xDrive will still smoke it 0-60 by about a half a sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Based on my experience with the C43 AMG, I recommend that you take one for a comprehensive test-drive before you put down a deposit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #57
Stones1970
Enlisted Member
Rep

I set up extended test drives for next weekend (traveling this weekend) in the 2 and the 4. Will check those out and report back with my impressions. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #58
Stones1970
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I was able to take the 2er out for about 3.5 hours today. Pros: amazing reflexes, plenty fast to get me in a lot of trouble (how do people stay out jail in the 240i?), wonderful M-Sport steering wheel that's almost worth the whole 40 grand, supportive seats. Cons: harsh ride in sport mode—it beat me the f*** up. I'm 28, and my back hurts. My back never hurts. But surprisingly, the harsh impacts were the real problem. In comfort it was okay, but then it felt a lot more like the Mercedes.

Which brings me to the next point. The Mercedes was comfy, but it felt too big. I also am a little concerned about how it would look pulling up to work in the Benz. It looks like it costs a lot more than it does, and my boss drives a no-line 228i. She can afford to drive something much nicer, but still. I'm a third-year associate at a law firm, so these stupid little things do matter.

EDIT: I just ran the VIN, and supposedly this car didn't have the M-Adaptive suspension. But when I was in iDrive, there was the option to adjust the chassis in sport mode—and adjusting the chassis did seem to make a difference in how it drove (more responsive, but also harsher). What gives?

Last edited by Stones1970; 07-29-2017 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #59
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well, I was able to take the 2er out for about 3.5 hours today. Pros: amazing reflexes, plenty fast to get me in a lot of trouble (how do people stay out jail in the 240i?), wonderful M-Sport steering wheel that's almost worth the whole 40 grand, supportive seats. Cons: harsh ride in sport mode—it beat me the f*** up. I'm 28, and my back hurts. My back never hurts. But surprisingly, the harsh impacts were the real problem. In comfort it was okay, but then it felt a lot more like the Mercedes.

Which brings me to the next point. The Mercedes was comfy, but it felt too big. I also am a little concerned about how it would look pulling up to work in the Benz. It looks like it costs a lot more than it does, and my boss drives a no-line 228i. She can afford to drive something much nicer, but still. I'm a third-year associate at a law firm, so these stupid little things do matter.

EDIT: I just ran the VIN, and supposedly this car didn't have the M-Adaptive suspension. But when I was in iDrive, there was the option to adjust the chassis in sport mode—and adjusting the chassis did seem to make a difference in how it drove (more responsive, but also harsher). What gives?
2 things. 1. If it's a 230i M sport and had the blue brake calipers, it had the M suspension. If it did not have those calipers, it did not have that suspension. 2. If your boss is a female partner, not married with cats, find a new boss.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #60
Stones1970
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
2 things. 1. If it's a 230i M sport and had the blue brake calipers, it had the M suspension. If it did not have those calipers, it did not have that suspension. 2. If your boss is a female partner, not married with cats, find a new boss.
1. Didn't see the blue brake calipers but was wondering if the Adapative M could've been added onto the M Sport package?

2. Married with two (adult) kids!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #61
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
1. Didn't see the blue brake calipers but was wondering if the Adapative M could've been added onto the M Sport package?

2. Married with two (adult) kids!
1. Was it a new one or used? I think in the very early years of the 228i you could add the suspension without adding the brakes...and vice versa. It's not that way anymore. You get the track handling package or you don't. That's all there is to it now.

2. No comment!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #62
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
1. Was it a new one or used? I think in the very early years of the 228i you could add the suspension without adding the brakes...and vice versa. It's not that way anymore. You get the track handling package or you don't. That's all there is to it now.

2. No comment!
Used -- 2015 CPO. Only M Sport they'd let me take out.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #63
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
the steering will get tighter because it is controlled electronically. the suspension will not be any stiffer. any perceived additional harshness was all in your head.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #64
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp260 View Post
I would vote for the Benz as well if you will be doing highway miles. I find that with the newer BMWs because of the electronic steering, it takes a little more effort to keep the wheel straight. The steering feels too light at times on longer trips.
Thanks for pointing this out--I'll pay attention when I drive the C and re-drive the 2. I do wish BMW would allow you to program Sport steering while leaving the transmission in Comfort. Other automakers do this.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp260 View Post
I would vote for the Benz as well if you will be doing highway miles. I find that with the newer BMWs because of the electronic steering, it takes a little more effort to keep the wheel straight. The steering feels too light at times on longer trips.
Thanks for pointing this out--I'll pay attention when I drive the C and re-drive the 2. I do wish BMW would allow you to program Sport steering while leaving the transmission in Comfort. Other automakers do this.
I would likely go with the 2 series. Currently have a 2015 328i xdrive and a 2016 GLC300. I find that the electric power steering in the BMW is more predictable than that in the Benz. Also, I find the power delivery in the BMW to be much nicer. Have had the opportunity to drive both a c300 coupe and sedan and have had similar complaints about those as well. For my next car I would really like to have the M240i....

Try chatting with the dealer, I'm sure they can find some way to stay competitive.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #65
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:

With the 2er you will want to make sure that you have lumbar support makes a huge difference. But the C300 is geared for comfort instead of sport. That said I drive should let you configure your sport driving setting.

You're going to catch a lot of flack pulling up to work in a Mercedes. I'm on my 4th BMW at 32 and still get a lot of comments about it. They look expensive but they really are no more expensive than an F150 (the ones I drive anyway). Also, my current 328 is far flashier than anything any of my bosses drive... makes for some interesting commentary, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #66
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Used -- 2015 CPO. Only M Sport they'd let me take out.
In that case, yes it may have been a stand alone option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwmcb View Post
With the 2er you will want to make sure that you have lumbar support makes a huge difference. But the C300 is geared for comfort instead of sport. That said I drive should let you configure your sport driving setting.

You're going to catch a lot of flack pulling up to work in a Mercedes. I'm on my 4th BMW at 32 and still get a lot of comments about it. They look expensive but they really are no more expensive than an F150 (the ones I drive anyway). Also, my current 328 is far flashier than anything any of my bosses drive... makes for some interesting commentary, trust me.
F150s are like 70-80 grand with lots of options...I can't believe how many loaded F150s I see driving around!
Appreciate 0