THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan M235i Tune

08-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #529
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharo1 View Post
Wait, so they let you do the install? No issues with warranty? If for whatever reason something goes wrong either because of human error or factory defect, what happens???
The Dinan system is plug-n-play enough that they feel your average wrench turner can do the install. The instructions are very specific about procedure of the install and which connections need to be removed and re-installed in a specific order. The last step involves checking for any engine fault codes that might appear after installation and how to clear them. Not the 5 minute N55 Stage 1 install, but I feel it can be done in 1 hour or less. And as confirmed earlier today, the system is transferable to another car (same software load if same make/model vehicle) so reselling after use is an option.

It is lot simpler then learning how to code your car for the first time. If you get really stuck on a problem you can call Dinan directly or take it to an authorized Dinan agent for help.
Thanks.
So Dinan tune does clear CELs... For example, in case of catless dp, dinan software could clear that cel among others?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #530
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Thanks.
So Dinan tune does clear CELs... For example, in case of catless dp, dinan software could clear that cel among others?
No. I confirmed with Dinan that this will not clear the CEL code from a catless downpipe. That's automatically one of the factors why I ruled it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #531
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Thanks.
Can't answer that one as the instructions I received today are just for installing the Dtronic into the car. There is another part, DT443-0014 DINANTRONICS Bluetooth Kit that is to used establish Bluetooth connection to the system and clear engine fault codes.

It may work like any other OBDII connection device that allows you to clear codes. I purchased one off Amazon for $17 that lets me run a phone app to monitor OBDII output and clear codes.

Will be doing a nice pictorial write up on the Dinan Stage 1 Discussion thread that will cover every detail about Dinan Stage 1 unit and it's installation.

Last edited by Delnari; 08-15-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #532
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
No. I confirmed with Dinan that this will not clear the CEL code from a catless downpipe. That's automatically one of the factors why I ruled it out.
This sounds right, when placing my order today for the kit, I was asked what aftermarket/factory add ons were currently installed. Was told that information would be passed to the programming team who would be programming my Dtronic ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #533
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
This sounds right, when placing my order today for the kit, I was asked what aftermarket/factory add ons were currently installed. Was told that information would be passed to the programming team who would be programming my Dtronic ECU.
Frankly, that's bogus on their part. The only additional parts you can run with a DTronic are basically an intake and cat-back exhaust...two mods which don't require any sort of additional tuning. An intake and cat-back aren't significant enough for there to be further gains and utilization from different mapping.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #534
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

who cares what I think its all irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
1. Because you made up the difference between one being safe and one not.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #535
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
So if we can get the Dinan delivered straight to us then I think one can take advantage of the 3 day return policy since we would not be paying for labor charges.. only shipping if we choose to send it back.

I will definitely considering going this route when the Stage 2 flash is finalized. This way I can install, dyno, sleep on the results and if I am not happy send it back.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #536
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

I feel like an idiot... so is it accurate that we can do the install and they will warranty although a non-dinan dealer did the install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
So if we can get the Dinan delivered straight to us then I think one can take advantage of the 3 day return policy since we would not be paying for labor charges.. only shipping if we choose to send it back.

I will definitely considering going this route when the Stage 2 flash is finalized. This way I can install, dyno, sleep on the results and if I am not happy send it back.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #537
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
My claim was for normal maintenance. Get it straight. I highlighted it repeatedly. Do NOT try to change it now that you can't provide a link.

e90 is one of, if not the, largest N54/N55 foum for turning. I have not in all my years there seen a single person say they were flagged for maintenance. The comment is hardly pointless and carries a load more than 'various forums people have been flagged.'
Don't care anymore. Enjoy being naive with the belief that a dealer that will void you for warranty work won't do so just because you are in for maintenance. You have found such a great loophole in the system. Congrats.

And I am thrilled that your personal observations carry a "load more" weight or whatever than mine. As if I also wasn't active on the same forum for many years. Again, congrats on that too.

The amusing part about this discussion is that my original post had nothing to do about distinguishing between getting voided for service vs warranty work but you somehow got that to be the discussion. I offered to show proof of people voided going in to a dealer. Feel free to go back and look as I did. So you get it straight first. My post is right here tell me where I said I would distinguish between service and warranty as you have somehow twisted it? So, again you get it straight. That doesn't mean I buy your point of view either or care that just because you have never seen someone get voided for it during a maintenance visit that I will follow your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Tell that to all the folks on the various forums that got their warranties voided that they never had a single issue. And there are plenty of those. Even ones who followed the directions to a T that had problems.

If you really want links to posts, I can start doing that, but everyone knows how to google.

I think your statement that nobody has ever had a single problem is quite exaggeraged and based on nothing more than your experiences and maybe that of some others.

Just because you get your service done and it passes doesn't mean it doesn't get flagged for future visits. Those are the kinds of reports others have posted as well that they have been flagged for doing just that. Again, not in your experience clearly. But, that doesn't apply to everyone.

Last edited by five3three; 08-15-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #538
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

dudes on a different note check this out.

[IMG] by MarioS75, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by MarioS75, on Flickr[/IMG]

Different lighting affects it differently. I LOVE IT CANT WAIT FOR THE DROP/TUNE/EXHAUST!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #539
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

[IMG]IMAG0499 by MarioS75, on Flickr[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #540
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

That brushed steel looks sick.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #541
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

thanks bro-ski... check out this thread

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...6#post16475206

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
That brushed steel looks sick.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #542
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Love the body color. Don't care for the wheels but to each his own. =)

I'm going to regret posting this just because it will ultimately lead to more bickering but I thought I might as well seeing as I have nothing else to do.

Couple things...

Dinan is unique in that it sells through bmw dealerships and other shops but the dealerships is key. In order to satisfy that outlet I am sure they have some sort of labor agreement. So while they don't mind selling directly to the consumer I am sure it is not in their best interest to do so so they wouldn't advertise it. All it is going to do is piss off their distribution channels since its robbing them of labor time (profit).

That said according to Delnari's other thread during the install at some point you need to clear codes before starting the vehicle. While its a minor thing not all people will have this ability. What happens if you don't clear those codes before hand, does something catastrophic happen? Doubtful, but I am sure that step is there for a reason. This would be a good reason why it is "required" to have an authorized dealer install it.

The other possibly more important reason given Dinans clientele to have an authorized dealer install the thing is Warranty. While if a non-authorized dealer installs it, or Joe Schmoe, the product itself will be warrantied but I can guarantee if something goes wrong on the install and you jack something up that will be on you, not Dinan. Again, most likely nothing horrendous can happen but I don't know the install method and maybe there is something tricky. For instance the JB4 when installed has that rail that if contacted will fry the board on the JB4 and a sensor or soemthing to that effect. If something similar happens with the Dinan--- thats your bad, their warranty will not cover that. They have essentially vouched for their authorized dealers and given them a blessing saying if they screw something up we/they will fix it. Thats not the case with Casey Jones at the Nut Emporium on main street.

The other thing I wanted to note is the mention of a catless downpipe and CEL. Last time I talked to them they specifically said they essentially are going totally legal. Makes sense in California and going for CARB approval, etc. That said they will never ever support a catless downpipe since they are illegal in CA. Why bother clearing a CEL from a product you will never support? Those that are doing full catless and whatever else is not who they are targeting. Sure their stuff will work but they are not catering to that crowd and are not designing for as such. That said the whole point of the Dinan box and connecting directly into the OEM ECU is to tap into as many signals as possible thereby fooling all the sensors so no CEL's or faults are recorded. That is the beauty I see in dtronics they apparently arent clearing codes/faults constantly like some others they simply just aren't making any. Like I mentioned into an earlier post, does that mean the "drivability" is better since they are manipulating everything and not being reactionary like others? I'm sure the reaction time for the OEM ECU to adapt to changes is next to nothing but perhaps its enough time to feel a hiccup in comparison. I don't know, I'm really curious to hear the reactions from the 2 installed next week. Not so much about the shear power because I am sure its similar to the stage 1 from burger but I am more curious about the drivability or smoothness since thats where I would think you would see the difference given the different methodology.

Calling into Dinan and asking these questions they are pretty open with their responses in general I found. Given they are sales people so we arent talking to engineers and highly technical questions may not be answered but all in all I found them to be very open about everything. That said they are again sales people so you have to take everything with a grain of salt but still.

I'm sure FC4 will find something in there to bash for some reason but whatever, I'm going back to lurking now.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #543
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
dudes on a different note check this out.

Different lighting affects it differently. I LOVE IT CANT WAIT FOR THE DROP/TUNE/EXHAUST!!!!!
Color looks pretty cool...
Not to crazy about the wheel color but ... if you like it who cares
I think stock gun metal wheels would look killer on it

BTW is it posible to do any kind of detailing on the wrap if you get scratches or stuff ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #544
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

I'm actually glad some folks dont like the wheels (i love them and that means my car will be somewhat unique )

You can't buff the wrap... you wash it. There is a special wax you can use but that's about it. Soap/water to wash or a simple wipe down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Color looks pretty cool...
Not to crazy about the wheel color but ... if you like it who cares
I think stock gun metal wheels would look killer on it

BTW is it posible to do any kind of detailing on the wrap if you get scratches or stuff ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #545
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Looks dope man.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #546
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Again the Dinan connects to 2/3 of the possible ECU connections; 116 pins (not all are being used). The diagram shows the 3 banks of connections to the ECU, Dinan connects directly to the banks 2 and 3. Bank 1 is not being used by Dinan system.

Attachment 1076569

Attachment 1076582
If you look closely only a handful of wires are actually routed to the
box. Just like the N54 JB4. Most of it is just pass through.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #547
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

The N54 harness allowing easy connection to the ECU is a great convienent way to connect into car. Why wasn't this same approach used on the N55 ECU with connection back to the JB4 controller? Appears the same number of actual connections used by the N54 is about the same number used for the N55 as well. If one was to guess, it has to do with the cost factor of using factory style ECU connectors, but only really needing a smaller subset of actual signals to work with the JB4 controller.

The main difference when looking at the N54 harness and the Dinan Dtronic harness is the that all the connections in the bundle are being routed back from the ECU to the Dinan unit. Why would Dinan route so many connections back to their controller and the BMS JB4 have so few?

Last edited by Delnari; 08-16-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #548
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
By the way, Dinan offers race tunes for other cars that are de-catted so the person that said they wouldn't... they already have.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:28 AM   #549
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
By the way, Dinan offers race tunes for other cars that are de-catted so the person that said they wouldn't... they already have.
Yes, they have in the past but that doesn't mean they will in the future. The last thing really racing related dinan released was for the e92 m3. If be willing to bet soon after that emissions laws were changed. The short of it is they are in California with the craziest emissions laws. All of which have substantial fines. I would think it's not worth the hassle. Just look no further than their recent track record. Only axle back exhausts. All intakes and dtronics referenced plastered with eo references and soon to be 50 state legal stuff. All indications point to legality from here on out. Hell, call and ask about a down pipe or removing cats and there response is just short of "hahaha, never ever going to happen". Their "race" tune graph for the 235 explicitly even said oe cats for Christs sake.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #550
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

If you read Steve Dinan's post on Bimmerfest he is developing a race tune for the M235i that runs on 100 octane fuel but goes on to say using factory emissions meaning factory catalytic converter. With the companies reputation on the line he is now making products that are 50 state CARB legal though getting CA to accept them is a long process. Any CEL clearing would be in response to changes to motor adaptations resulting in component changes that are emissions legal.

Where as BMS has the disclaimer for "Racing Off-Road Use Only" on their performance products, Dinan is working to stay in tight with BMW and gaining their seal of product use approval by complying with state and federal automotive laws. Dinan has achieved such a high standard to be allow by a auto manufacturer as big as BMW to sell products with matching warranty and even sold by BMW dealerships shows their success. When you buy and install a Dinan product it has a better warranty than the BMW M Performance part, and authorized BMW dealers will not blink at the product being installed on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0