THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Washing my Baby

03-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #23
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Lots of really good advice on here. An older gentlemen that had sold me my M235i had told me he won several car shows in his days and swear by stuff called 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. I havnt tried it yet but I will when I get into more detailing.
Glaze is primarily designed to hide hide swirls and holograms. They fill in the high areas caused by these culprits which reflects light. The glaze fills in these high spots. It is not permanent and the best way to hide these issues is by polishing. Certain glazes will enhance your finish slightly especially if the paint is dark. I used a glaze on my 228ix Estoril and a black Ferrari and it did nothing. Put on several thin layers of a good polymer coating to really pop the shine.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
So now I'm thinking clay towel.. I can't believe there's knock offs on ebay for a few buck.. I watched a few videos too.

Can anyone tell me how good they work? Are those chinese knock offs even worth a few bucks to try?
Just get a good one on Amazon dude. They're not expensive at all. It works great too. I clayed my wife's 10 year old car and couldn't believe how smooth it was when i was done.

Here's the one I have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This thread reminds me that there's no one true answer to this question besides "Do whatever makes you happy and whatever you have time for." I do wholeheartedly recommend Xpel. I drove straight from the BMW Performance Center to shop 15 mins away to get my partial installed. I wish I had done a full frontal wrap.

This thread has me excited for the full detail I'm about to do this weekend. Zero is due for another sealant job. Stripping current wax, two layers of sealer and then re-wax. Plus I'm installing an AA8. It'll be a new car come Monday.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #26
E46 Fan
Rep
Drives: 2001 325Ci, 2017 M240i

Here's a great website with great prices on products - I've used them for years

http://store.carcareonline.com/

Also, great How-to Articles

http://store.carcareonline.com/howto_articles.aspx

I tend to stay with the german products (P21s wax, paint cleaner, wheel cleaner, and shampoo (car wash), and super absorbing drying towel). I also like the Sonax car wash shampoo.

Use a Lambs wool wash mitt. Get a separate one for wheels (doesn't need to be lambs wool)

2 or 3 buckets, like others have recommended.

Also, I prefer Invisible Glass in aerosol cans for windows.

Unlike what others have posted, I Strongly recommend against regular use of a clay bar. While it is great at removing paint overspray and other major finish issues, it actually removes some of the finish. If you do it too much, there will be nothing left.

And for tires/rubber/dash I prefer 303 Aerospace Protectant. It is low-gloss and maintains a clean look. (also great for plastic kayaks, and other outdoor plastics regularly exposed to UV light.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #27
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oops, I didn't mean to imply that you clay regularly. I've done it once on my car and it's a year old. Look up the plastic bag test in terms of trying to determine if you need to clay or not. Frankly, the thought of dragging a bag over my car makes me cringe, but whatever.

That said, if you use a good lube you should be okay. Insufficient lube will cause marring.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #28
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
You nailed it. Send some pics.
Mine's white so it's harder to see finish than with a darker car, but the paint was smooth as glass when finished.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0