THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bavsound F22 speakers available for pre-order.

03-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #23
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
You know, I have never even considered an audio upgrade in this car -- not really my thing. However, I checked out Bavsound's website and looked at the HK upgrade. If it is as good as they say it is, it seems like a good deal. Better sound while retaining factory quality/fitment, which was my biggest turnoff to any audio upgrade.
      03-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #24
BPC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

What are people with F23's doing with regard to speaker upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Hmmm, is it dumb of me to want to order the the HK kit for my Hi-Fi car knowing that I'm going to get the Bimmertech amp as well? I really don't want coaxials if I can avoid it.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #26
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

I might be wrong about this l, because my electrical skills are super rusty, but doesn't the standard hifi head unit only have 5 channels? What signals are going to be sent to the tweeters? I assume it's the in line filters on the bavsound speakers that let them add a coaxial tweeter. I doubt the component tweeters will have that if you were going to run the same channel to the mids and tweeters. Can the bimmer tech amp handle that for you? I assume it has a DSP so maybe it can work some magic that I'm not familiar with.
      03-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #27
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
I might be wrong about this l, because my electrical skills are super rusty, but doesn't the standard hifi head unit only have 5 channels? What signals are going to be sent to the tweeters? I assume it's the in line filters on the bavsound speakers that let them add a coaxial tweeter. I doubt the component tweeters will have that if you were going to run the same channel to the mids and tweeters. Can the bimmer tech amp handle that for you? I assume it has a DSP so maybe it can work some magic that I'm not familiar with.
It's still a full channel (sorry, don't know the technical term) signal. So basically take that tweeter that's on the mid range, place it in the door sail and then send it the same in-line filtered signal. I believe that the HK system basically does this.

I was more speaking in terms of power and also wiring to the rear deck. Again, assuming that in a HK setup the tweeters get their signal via a filtered line coming from the mids. I wonder if the HK kit will work okay with the hi-fi amp for now in terms of power. Idk. So many mods. It's hard to prioritize.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #28
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I just think the hi-fi speakers sound tinny. I didn't pay for the HK system when I bought my car because most people on here did not think it was worth the cost. So my plan was pretty simple. Buy the car with the Hi Fi system, then upgrade the speakers. If that is not enough, upgrade the subs. If that is not enough, go for the amp. But y hope is this speaker kit will be all I need. I'm not into thumping hard bass. For the price, I know I'm getting superior speakers made to fit my car with no secondary parts or modification needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:05 AM   #29
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC View Post
What are people with F23's doing with regard to speaker upgrades?
Installing the same kit!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #30
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Hmmm, is it dumb of me to want to order the the HK kit for my Hi-Fi car knowing that I'm going to get the Bimmertech amp as well? I really don't want coaxials if I can avoid it.
I don't think so...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #31
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Confirmed via email, the standard HIFI kit is 5 coaxial speakers.
      03-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #32
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, screw that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #33
Nelson@BimmerTech
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Great info on those torn between doing speaker or amp upgrade

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1243952
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #34
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I gotta make a point here:

For the rear deck, components are absolutely overkill for either the the HK system of the Hi-Fi system. You gain no soundstage benefit, and anything emitted is reflected off the rear window anyway. In fact, coaxials with an angled tweeter may be a better choice because of the ability to 'aim' the dispersion of the tweeter, however slightly.

For the front doors, yes: components make total sense. Coaxials can work fine, but raising the tweeters to head level in the sail panels, as a component set does in the HK system, makes a world of difference sonically.

I think the best Bavsound solution for those with Hi-Fi systems would be:
- HK-replacement components in the front doors, purchased with a pair of OEM sail panels
- Hi-Fi-replacement coaxials in the back

Why Bavsound didn't do this for its Hi-Fi-replacement set is probably twofold: economics (aiming for a price point) and ease of installation. Retrofitting the HK sail panels -- or some other full-range driver-to-component solution -- is probably more than Bavsound wanted to involve a consumer in doing to install the kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #35
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I assume you're excluding the center channel, you haven't seemed to care much for it in other posts. This option is only $144 more than the standard HIFI kit, comparing the entire standard HIFI kit $497 (cheaper to order the whole package than just the front and rears ($530)), to rears from the standard HIFI kit ($299) plus fronts from the premium HIFI kit ($342), which totals to $641.

Man, their website is a pain.
      03-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #36
mikkemille
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Appreciate all the info in this thread. The NEOLAUNCH promo code ends today, FYI.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #37
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

For the rear deck, components are absolutely overkill for either the the HK system of the Hi-Fi system. You gain no soundstage benefit, and anything emitted is reflected off the rear window anyway. In fact, coaxials with an angled tweeter may be a better choice because of the ability to 'aim' the dispersion of the tweeter, however slightly.

For the front doors, yes: components make total sense. Coaxials can work fine, but raising the tweeters to head level in the sail panels, as a component set does in the HK system, makes a world of difference sonically.

- HK-replacement components in the front doors, purchased with a pair of OEM sail panels

Why Bavsound didn't do this for its Hi-Fi-replacement set is probably twofold: economics (aiming for a price point) and ease of installation. Retrofitting the HK sail panels -- or some other full-range driver-to-component solution -- is probably more than Bavsound wanted to involve a consumer in doing to install the kit.
Just to second Viffermike on this, I've put components in the front and coaxes in the back on my HK system and I'm very happy with the results, including soundstage considerations.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #38
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
I assume you're excluding the center channel, you haven't seemed to care much for it in other posts. This option is only $144 more than the standard HIFI kit, comparing the entire standard HIFI kit $497 (cheaper to order the whole package than just the front and rears ($530)), to rears from the standard HIFI kit ($299) plus fronts from the premium HIFI kit ($342), which totals to $641.

Man, their website is a pain.
Correct; the center channel really mucks everything up sonically. On the Hi-Fi system, it's not even on a separate channel: It's a reduced-volume sum of the front left and right channels. (Not sure how it's wired on the HK, but I suspect it's similar.) For a center ANYthing to work properly in a multi-channel sound environment, it needs its own channel and own mix.

So yeah: just unplug the puppy and don't bother upgrading it!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #39
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I didn't elaborate earlier, but when the time comes this is the path I'm going to investigate. Coax drop-ins in the back because you don't gain much from separates back there. Separates in the doors for speaker separation. Center delete for better imaging and cost savings. Some kind of amp. Maybe bimmertech, but i'll probably have to tweak the tune a bit.

I may email Bav to see if they can create a type of "Hi-Fi to HK" hybrid setup including sails or at least provide people with the part number for the sails.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #40
Nelson@BimmerTech
Captain
Rep

Quote:

You are 100 % correct! Don't ask me how i know
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #41
Nelson@BimmerTech
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I didn't elaborate earlier, but when the time comes this is the path I'm going to investigate. Coax drop-ins in the back because you don't gain much from separates back there. Separates in the doors for speaker separation. Center delete for better imaging and cost savings. Some kind of amp. Maybe bimmertech, but i'll probably have to tweak the tune a bit.

I may email Bav to see if they can create a type of "Hi-Fi to HK" hybrid setup including sails or at least provide people with the part number for the sails.
Sail panels p/n

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=2
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #42
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

they didn't respond :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #43
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
they didn't respond :/
Just so you know, they're not the best at responding to mail promptly.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #44
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The latest e-mail from Bavsound says my Hi-Fi stage one kit will not ship until June. So back to the future....
Appreciate 0