THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What makes a car fun?

08-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #23
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
DSC Off = E-LSD ON
Does that matter for those of us that have MLSD?

And wrt C, I switch modes a lot while driving. Enough that, the other day I went DSC off (i think) to move the car as I needed to and caught the back end (Or did a computer do that - because I was actually in Sport + or Traction when that happened?)

Learning the car will require more dedicated time spent in each mode and more careful mental accounting of which mode I was in when [what] happened.
1) It doesn't to me, but I don't drive very aggressively on the street/back roads. I had it coded off when I was going to the track, so I never experienced my LSD and the car's e-LSD operating at the same time. If I had to guess, I'd say that the mechanical LSD would significantly reduce or eliminate the car's application of e-LSD except under extreme circumstances.

2) Can't help you there.

3) Use the chart I posted, create something of your own to take notes to help you remember how the car behaved under varying circumstances in each mode, and have at it. Or, just do what I do: leave it in Comfort!

Seriously, with an LSD installed, you'll get 93.61%+ of what the car has to offer from Comfort Mode. My 2˘, of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #24
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

Quote:
What about the thrust arm upgrade (that Turner advertised to me when I went to look at the LCAs)? It specifically talks about steering feel

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...nstalled-arms/
I upgraded to the thrust arms after driving with just LCAs for about 60k. The Turner service team recommended the thrust arms as long as I can handle the increased NVH (I had all upgrades to my car done at their shop when they were still in business).

The thrust arms increased steering fell and directness, I was very impressed with the upgrade. I didn't feel a significant loss of comfort.

The LCAs wore out rather quickly the first time although it's a daily and I did only do two track days during the first 60k. Turner recommended thrust arms both for feel and to help with wear. Another 45k since upgrading both and steering is still solid and no noticeable wear yet. I highly recommend the upgrade.
      08-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #25
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
DSC Off = E-LSD ON
Does that matter for those of us that have MLSD?

And wrt C, I switch modes a lot while driving. Enough that, the other day I went DSC off (i think) to move the car as I needed to and caught the back end (Or did a computer do that - because I was actually in Sport + or Traction when that happened?)

Learning the car will require more dedicated time spent in each mode and more careful mental accounting of which mode I was in when [what] happened.
Yes, even with MLsd the E-diff will still activate unless you had it coded out.

If the back end kicks out with wheel spin, then you were probably in dsc off.

if the back end stops abruptly right before it kicks out, or just shortly after, then you were probably in traction (since you hit the dtc button)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 08:03 PM   #26
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
I’ll admit to being confused about whether I should:
A) learn how the car naturally behaves (nannie’s off) and master it
B) learn how the car behaves with nannie’s on and master it
C) both A and B (seems like a lot to keep straight)
D) give up on A, because “nannie’s off “ isn’t an option
I would actually suggest starting with B. Learn what the nannies do, and especially how they feel. None of us perfect and on our A game every minute we're on the road, and things happen. The nannies are there to protect us and our nice car. Use them. BUT, they do change how the car operates, and what you might expect.

Most importantly, watch for that blinking light in the dash. If it's on, the car probably just saved itself. Or, at least kept you more in line.

I would also suggest that leaving all the nannies on while on a track is also a good training tool. Plain Sport mode. (I know, heresy! ) If the light is blinking as you accelerate out of a corner, well, you were on the edge of a spin. And yes, it pulls throttle and slows you down. But, keep practicing until the light is gone, and you will become a much smoother driver. Smooth is fast.

Once you can do it with nannies on, go relaxed partial nannies. DTC off (or Sport + if you like the 'responsive' throttle). Now you can start applying more throttle as you exit corners, and start to feel the throttle slide the rear end out. Because you were working on going fast without triggering the nannies, your throttle control should have some finesse, and you can more easily explore the edge of exit traction. And with partial nannies, if you go too far, the car will still try to save itself.

Very few of us (and not me, yet) are really pushing our cars, AND MAINTAINING ENOUGH CONTROL, to safely run full nannies off (DSC off). Not on a big track, and especially on the street with all the unpredictable conditions, events, and idiots. Don't let your ego get in the way here. It's always better to be able to drive your car home.

Do I ever run DSC off? Sure. Autocross is one place. If you lose it, the worst is taking out a couple cones. Where have I spun out the most? Yep, DSC off while doing autocross.

And yes, at times, when it's in a safe environment, do option A and turn the nannies all the way off and see what it feels like. This can be very interesting in low traction (or no traction, like ice driving on a lake) events. Turn the nannies on, partial on, and all the way off. It can be very illuminating just what the systems can and can't do with minimal traction.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #27
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Handling > speed.

My first car was a 325Ci. Then a 330Ci ZHP. The latter ended up with custom Bilsteins and the camber/alignment, tires, etc. made it very capable and fun to drive (and reliable), despite being >200,000 miles.

By my estimate, it'll take approx. $7k if not more to get the suspension & handling characteristics of this 240 to even come remotely close to what I was used to (Ohlins, M Performance LSD, wider tires & wheels, etc.).

I've come to terms a while ago that even with the above, at the end of the day, what I miss most was the heavy hydraulic steering of the E46 vs. the F22's light electronic steering. So aside from the basic tunes and a downpipe, I'm leaving it as-is and will enjoy the 240 for what it is to me - a speedy little straight-line car.
Appreciate 0