THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Headunit Change from EntryNav2 to a wifi port headunit

05-17-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
Sammity
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F45

Headunit Change from EntryNav2 to a wifi port headunit

I have posted this in the F45 forum, but the question would work better here.

Like most I'm trying to upgrade my F45 basic EntryNav2 without a wifi port to a headunit with a wifi port.
I'm an Esys newbie but have been scouring the forums for what feels the longest time to understand the process.

I have ID6 interface

My current hardware version (Hwel) is 0005D1E_002_001_005 without a wifi port.
My current i-Step version is 18-07-520
I currently have a basic 6.5" screen and Navigation with Europe Way maps 2018-2 G1816DR
And GB,IE 2021-2
VO For the car has 5AV, 650, 654, 698, 6AC, 6AE, 6AK, 6AM, 6AU, 6FW, 6UN.

I have purchased a new Headunit which has the wifi port (Hwel) is 000036Cc 002.001.004
Which has a date that is older than my current headunit.

I also have a laptop prepared with esys, tool32 and various other programs that I've read are required for the swap.

What I'm trying to find out is the best method to add carplay.

I understand that with my I step level I can just use the USB, to make a file with hutool and use provisioning if that's correct?

But for a better method, I should use tool32 to install the new headunit & flatten the firmware and remove the installed fsc codes. The I should get a repair pack to inject my original vin and fsc codes to the replacement headunit. After this carplay can be added to my headunit via VO?

Please could someone correct if I'm missing something as I do not wish to lose my connected drive or Navigation, but I do wish to gain carplay.

Thank you all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 08:23 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammity View Post
I have posted this in the F45 forum, but the question would work better here.

Like most I'm trying to upgrade my F45 basic EntryNav2 without a wifi port to a headunit with a wifi port.
I'm an Esys newbie but have been scouring the forums for what feels the longest time to understand the process.

I have ID6 interface

My current hardware version (Hwel) is 0005D1E_002_001_005 without a wifi port.
My current i-Step version is 18-07-520
I currently have a basic 6.5" screen and Navigation with Europe Way maps 2018-2 G1816DR
And GB,IE 2021-2
VO For the car has 5AV, 650, 654, 698, 6AC, 6AE, 6AK, 6AM, 6AU, 6FW, 6UN.

I have purchased a new Headunit which has the wifi port (Hwel) is 000036Cc 002.001.004
Which has a date that is older than my current headunit.

I also have a laptop prepared with esys, tool32 and various other programs that I've read are required for the swap.

What I'm trying to find out is the best method to add carplay.

I understand that with my I step level I can just use the USB, to make a file with hutool and use provisioning if that's correct?

But for a better method, I should use tool32 to install the new headunit & flatten the firmware and remove the installed fsc codes. The I should get a repair pack to inject my original vin and fsc codes to the replacement headunit. After this carplay can be added to my headunit via VO?

Please could someone correct if I'm missing something as I do not wish to lose my connected drive or Navigation, but I do wish to gain carplay.

Thank you all in advance!
If you can have the HU replaced with an Entrynav2 that has the WLAN port, all you would need to do is change the SWT VIN and VO code the new unit with 6CP. A few vendors including us on this forum can provide you with a code to run with Feature Installer and that will give you the 143 FSC to enable CarPlay.

No repair FSC pack would be needed.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 11:51 AM   #3
Sammity
Registered
Rep

Thanks for taking the time to reply, followed your advice but made a mistake at the end.
1) Physically swapped the headunit into the car.
2) Connected Esys and connected to the car via gateway and the Vin.
3) open transmitter
4)Click the readVIN job to get a copy of my VIN, and the donor HU Vin for future reference.
5) Open FSC extended, connect to 0x63 and press identify
6) WriteVIN job to the list - added my current longvin as visible on the bottom right of esys
7) Press start, to update the VIN on the Headunit

Now the mistake - I should have saved FA and CAFD, but I didn't. I stupidly decided that since it was all fine I would start coding the VO - I really wish my brain had said stop.

8) I added 6CP to the FA and then decided to code the CAFD.
This wiped the cafd from the headunit an I ended up with a cafd FFFFFF_255_255 error.
9) I found that ShawnSheridan had very kindly posted the following on the f30 forum
Inject CAFD and VO Code, then you can go back and FDL Code afterwards:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on HU_ENTRY => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown (bottom one) => Select OK => Right-Click on HU_ENTRY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

10) Headunit has recovered, but I've clearly killed the Navigation and my options so will need a repair kit.
11)Saved my FA and CAfD. Decided to edit VO and add 6CP
12) Active FA and save.

Now it looks like it always - Save Cafd at each step so and mistakes can be corrected.

Oh well, it was a good learning process - hope this write up will save someone else some pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 05:13 PM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammity View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply, followed your advice but made a mistake at the end.
1) Physically swapped the headunit into the car.
2) Connected Esys and connected to the car via gateway and the Vin.
3) open transmitter
4)Click the readVIN job to get a copy of my VIN, and the donor HU Vin for future reference.
5) Open FSC extended, connect to 0x63 and press identify
6) WriteVIN job to the list - added my current longvin as visible on the bottom right of esys
7) Press start, to update the VIN on the Headunit

Now the mistake - I should have saved FA and CAFD, but I didn't. I stupidly decided that since it was all fine I would start coding the VO - I really wish my brain had said stop.

8) I added 6CP to the FA and then decided to code the CAFD.
This wiped the cafd from the headunit an I ended up with a cafd FFFFFF_255_255 error.
9) I found that ShawnSheridan had very kindly posted the following on the f30 forum
Inject CAFD and VO Code, then you can go back and FDL Code afterwards:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on HU_ENTRY => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown (bottom one) => Select OK => Right-Click on HU_ENTRY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

10) Headunit has recovered, but I've clearly killed the Navigation and my options so will need a repair kit.
11)Saved my FA and CAfD. Decided to edit VO and add 6CP
12) Active FA and save.

Now it looks like it always - Save Cafd at each step so and mistakes can be corrected.

Oh well, it was a good learning process - hope this write up will save someone else some pain.
I replied to your PM.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 02:15 AM   #5
Sammity
Registered
Rep

Many thanks for your reply
Appreciate 0