THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F22 M235i Burning Smell and Smoke Out Exhaust

08-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
rgiunta1994
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i; E70 35d; Jeep ZJ

Exclamation F22 M235i Burning Smell and Smoke Out Exhaust

Hey All,
I have a issue I wanna run by the group. Today I started my M235i and immediately started smelling a really nasty burning smell. It might have been oil, but I can’t remember. It definitely wasn’t sweet like coolant.

Anyways, I pulled the car out of my garage so it’d be in fresh air and was trying to pinpoint it. There was no smell coming from the engine bay and noticed it all coming from the exhaust. At idle it was smoking a fair bit, definitely not cold start condensation and it smelled very intense. The smoke was relatively thin, so it was hard to tell the color at idle and I didn’t want to be blipping the throttle with it smoking like that.

Any insight into what this may be? I scanned the car with MHD and there were no codes pending. Granted, this is the first time it's done it, so it hasn't been driven/in boost to potentially cause a code to be thrown.

Could it be a blown turbo? Maybe PCV?

Any insight on next steps/how best to diagnose it is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #2
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

do a head leak down test for HG, check fluids for loss, oil in water gas in coolant
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:29 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Any modifications to the car?

How long have you owned it?