THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Center display does not turn on after being parked in the sun (80F) for a few minutes

05-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #1
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Arrow Center display does not turn on after being parked in the sun (80F) for a few minutes

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm also curious what could be happening here, and how to fix it. Here's the gist of the problem:

1. Car and display work fine when car is started after being parked in the shade.

2. But, if I leave it parked in the sun (80F or more) for 10+ minutes and I start the car, everything will work except the center display.

3. And by everything, I mean the display behind the steering wheel, A/C temperature display, music, volume buttons, pause/play/mute button, track display behind the steering wheel, A/C, mode button on the steering, audio button on the iDrive system, etc. They all work fine.

4. But, the other buttons on the iDrive including the wheel does not work - or at least I assume they do not work since I have pressed all the buttons in random order, pressed and held a few, used the wheel many different ways, pressed it in random spots, and nothing changed with the audio. So, I assume it's not just the display, but I could be wrong.

5. Pressing and holding the menu button or the volume up or down button for >30 seconds do not seem to restart the display as I read it might (somewhere on the internet).

6. Blasting A/C to the max until I'm very cold and turning the car off and on does not work.

7. What does work is parking the car in the shade, and letting it cool off for a little while. Then, everything works fine again.

What could be the issue? This is a F22 228i, well out of warranty. I brought it up to the Indy garage where I take the car, but was told the display may need to be replaced for $3,000 plus labor. But, it happens only in those rare conditions that I hesitate to spend that kind of money (and if it's not the display - since the iDrive controls don't seem to do anything either, it may not even fix the issue).

Thanks everyone for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
Xeom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228I xDrive

Following this, I've had this happen a couple times. What I did is I'd turn the car off and park in a shaded area and cover the idrive system. Normally it should only take about 30 minutes to an hour. Goodluck!
Appreciate 0