THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery European Delivery and shipping home (USA)

07-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

European Delivery and shipping home (USA)

Soooo... I am planning a trip to Germany this coming Oktoberfest

I am 99% sold on the Drive Your Own and Ship It Home plan.

Test drove an M240XI and loved it! Built my own online and sat with the dealer to discuss. Of course I've been lurking here, but now have some questions before pulling the plug.

First and foremost would be asking about experiences.

Second is the dealer made note to me that the prodution schedule is set up quarterly? Is this true? He noted a 4 week production so we backtracked the date I'll be in Munich. Can't the car be ordered early and they then slot it in to meet delivery date? I'm only concerned because I'm wondering how many folks are joining the festivities there and doing the same thing (European Delivery) and don't want to miss out. I'll be there the last week of September.

Third thing (for now) is that I'm on the fence with decision between Automatic or Stick on the M240i...

Anyways, I thank you in advance for your replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

Haven't done European Delivery and haven't yet received my m240i (8/17 PCD) but my dealer was happy to take my order at any time and I stated I was looking for mid to late august delivery. I think they placed the order when they thought the timing would work out.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Raadness
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240ix cp

Garage List
2020 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I ordered mid Feb (waited so it would be a 2020). They asked for three choices for pick up date. My 1st choice was weekend of April 22. This was not possible because of Easter holiday/closure. My second choice of April 29th was a go!This worked out better as the Munich Frühlingsfest was happening. Had a wonderful experience. I hope you go for it!

I went with automatic because it's a daily driver/bad traffic in my area.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Do It

My wife and I have had lots of BMWs over the years. While most were not European Delivery (ED), some were. Most of my BMWs have been manual transmissions.

I highly recommend ED. It’s a great experience. Preliminary recommendations:
  • Shop multiple dealers to get the best ED deal.
  • Plan enough time to drive the car around not just Germany, but other countries as well. A “loop” itinerary works well so you can drop the car off at a port in Germany though other alternatives are available.
  • Consider the season. I have always planned the order and delivery to avoid winter and the middle of summer. October should be great weather-wise.

My M235i and my 2020 M240i both have automatic transmissions. All of my previous BMWs had manual transmissions. While I love driving manual transmissions, the ZF auto transmission in these cars is excellent. The auto shifts better and faster than I ever could despite many years of manual transmission experience in cars and motorcycles.

You should do ED. You can't go wrong with either transmission. The 2 series has been my favorite car of the many I've owned in my life.
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      07-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Appreciate the replies, thank you!

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. And even though I love manual shifting, will probably go with the automatic. I think the days of manual transmission benefits are long gone. The auto is .02 faster 0-60... Not really sure how, but I'll just accept it, lol. If I could have the Xi and manual, I would go for it. To my knowledge the only model you can currently get that on is the 440. Not something I'm looking for. I really, I mean "REALLY" enjoyed the M240Xi ride.

Didn't think to shop multiple dealers, makes sense, but I thought the price would be set by corporate as its made to order and not clearing stock from their inventory. So I will do that as well. I'm in the NYC/Westchester area, so if there's suggestions, I'm more than appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
airborne777
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post

Didn't think to shop multiple dealers, makes sense, but I thought the price would be set by corporate as its made to order and not clearing stock from their inventory. So I will do that as well. I'm in the NYC/Westchester area, so if there's suggestions, I'm more than appreciative.
Look for the ED invoice price for the car because ED MSRP is what the dealer will offer you. Obviously, the closer you get to ED invoice makes it best.

Word of caution:
Over the last few years, the financial incentives of ED have faded relative to buying in the US. I have done ED in the past and it was very attractive both financially and experience wise.

My wife got a new 230I in March 2018 and while our first choice was ED, it didn't make financial sense. e.g Coupled with BMW incentives and negotiation, we got about 15% off the MSRP for local delivery. ED would have only given us 7% off the MSRP since the incentives were only available for local pickup.

It is far cheaper to fly to Munich and rent a BMW from Sixt car rental and do the Baviarian driving experience currently!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I did ED two years ago for my stick M240. Absolutely amazing experience and highly, highly recommended. However as others have pointed out it is no longer the financial “deal” that it used to be. So just keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Thank you for the updates! I found some crazy competitive rental rates over there and you may be right, to rent, but purchase here. I would still want my build though and not take from dealer inventory if they do not have my build, so not too sure if I would get the same incentives...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Waiting to see if I got a schedule slot for delivery on the day I can pick it up.

Also, got pricing...

Pretty much loaded with exception of the charging/phone things for the console.
Total 55,421.00
Disc. 5,846.00
= 49,575.00
Taxes/Etc
+4,477.22

Final Price = $55,052.22

How's that sound? lol...

Will suck if I can't get in the schedule slot for pick up and use it while driving around Germany. But will see.

Series 5 rental for 17 days, unlimited miles/0 deductible = $1,054.00 over there, so it would be wasted money.

Anyways... just thought to update the thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

The Blue Beauty is in production!

Now I just gotta figure out how to tell the wife!

She'll find out when I only rent a car for a few days, lol...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Wow! Got a call that the supposed "we are good" isn't good anymore! The Welt was backing out on my confirmed date the dealer had told me was confirmed! I explained the entire premise of the Euro Purchase was confirmation of the delivery date prior to agreement and signing the PO. I also now explained I will not accept the PO with its current pricing as I will not be able to accept the delivery in Munich.

Wow! Disappointed to say the least. I first contacted this dealer first week of July! Is nuts!

Thanks for listening... And suggestions are appreciated on how to deal with this conundrum!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Wow that sucks. Did they say what happened? Or offer you an alternative ED date?

I've read tons of threads about ED experiences throughout the years and I honestly don't think I've ever heard of this happening before, especially if your car had already gone into production!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Wow that sucks. Did they say what happened? Or offer you an alternative ED date?

I've read tons of threads about ED experiences throughout the years and I honestly don't think I've ever heard of this happening before, especially if your car had already gone into production!
Me too... Me too!

Yes, I received a Build Code Pretty Quickly, and the Vin followed. But it seems since I've been informed of the date, and subsequently notified the dealer I could not accept the delivery there at that time, and will now take domestic delivery, the information on production has not moved.

Not sure what happened to tell you the truth, it's crazy, like I noted, we were all good, had to select the date, gave them 4 days while I was in Munich - received confirmation, then a few days later, got the call that it was No Good.

I understand the Weisn is going on, is why I'll be there as well. But they should not have initially committed to the date then and I initiated this all very early! Can't figure it out other than the possibility that the dealer handled it too casually. The confirmation came at week 5 prior to delivery, was told it was tight, but we got the confirmation. Maybe BMW USA said ok without final confirmation from the Welt. Who knows... I'm at a loss. As a consolation, it's going to save me a few grand on the price as I've already received an adjusted PO for the car. I will be following up this week with the dealer before I leave for Germany.

I'm not really going to let it rain on my parade, if the trip is that good, I will try again in a year or two...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
airborne777
Rep

That sucks. So did they offer an alternative date? I have never heard this happen. It is possible since this is post summer, things are backed up.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #15
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne777 View Post
That sucks. So did they offer an alternative date? I have never heard this happen. It is possible since this is post summer, things are backed up.
We discussed domestic delivery prices and aggressive discounting due to my inconvenience. Also discussed Corporate BMW being involved as they bear the brunt of the problem. We shall see how it goes! I have a build code, VIN, but no car delivery now in Germany, had to rent a car, etc. If it doesn't all go well, I'll walk away from the deal.

I really am disappointed, but I didn't make my trip there just for the ED. ED was a bonus, cream on top kinda thing.

It bothers me to hear that this is highly unusual, but my SA has said the same thing as well. He's been doing ED for 24 years and never had this happen either.

I've been so busy planning the trip, trying to figure out where to go, see, eat, etc., lol... I haven't had a lot of time to let it dwell on my mind. That's probably a good thing.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
Appreciate the replies, thank you!

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. And even though I love manual shifting, will probably go with the automatic. I think the days of manual transmission benefits are long gone. The auto is .02 faster 0-60... Not really sure how, but I'll just accept it, lol. If I could have the Xi and manual, I would go for it. To my knowledge the only model you can currently get that on is the 440. Not something I'm looking for. I really, I mean "REALLY" enjoyed the M240Xi ride.

Didn't think to shop multiple dealers, makes sense Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi , but I thought the price would be set by corporate as its made to order and not clearing stock from their inventory. So I will do that as well. I'm in the NYC/Westchester area, so if there's suggestions, I'm more than appreciative.
Second is the dealer made note to me that the prodution schedule is set up quarterly? Is this true? He noted a 4 week production so we backtracked the date I'll be in Munich. Can't the car be ordered early and they then slot it in to meet delivery date? I'm only concerned because I'm wondering how many folks are joining the festivities there and doing the same thing (European Delivery) and don't want to miss out. I'll be there the last week of September.

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 09-24-2019 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #17
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

My first contact was July 3 for Late September Delivery. They told me it was too early, come back in beginning of August. I returned then and set everything up. Still fell though. If you do not have a confirmed pick up from the Welt by now, I'd say it's NG, but hey, let me know if you do get confirmation.

Maddening is that I just looked and my Build was updated, car is finished, waiting for a carrier assignment for shipment. Arrrrgh! Yesterday it was still not updated, still in production but no progress. Done in a day?

Anyways, called dealer and he confirmed that the issue was at the Welt, not with production. The car being made on time was never an issue.

Not for nothing, but they're too rigid over there, lol, I told dealer I would forgo the entire pageantry and take my car at the curb, rather than know its there and done, but I can't have it, he said "no can do!"...

Is insane. But whatever... I'm over it, got to focus on having a great time and my itinerary. Will be in Munich Oct 1 ~ 4th enjoying the Weisen! Still going to be loving the roads, Klaussen Pass is on the list and a few other places.

Hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #18
airborne777
Rep

Quote:
My first contact was July 3 for Late September Delivery. They told me it was too early, come back in beginning of August. I returned then and set everything up. Still fell though. If you do not have a confirmed pick up from the Welt by now, I'd say it's NG, but hey, let me know if you do get confirmation.

Maddening is that I just looked and my Build was updated, car is finished, waiting for a carrier assignment for shipment. Arrrrgh! Yesterday it was still not updated, still in production but no progress. Done in a day?

Anyways, called dealer and he confirmed that the issue was at the Welt, not with production. The car being made on time was never an issue.

Not for nothing, but they're too rigid over there, lol, I told dealer I would forgo the entire pageantry and take my car at the curb, rather than know its there and done, but I can't have it, he said "no can do!"...

Is insane. But whatever... I'm over it, got to focus on having a great time and my itinerary. Will be in Munich Oct 1 ~ 4th enjoying the Weisen! Still going to be loving the roads, Klaussen Pass is on the list and a few other places.

Hope it works out for you.
That sucks but you have the right spirit. You should post some pics of your European Delivery trip using the rental car. :-)

I went through a similar experience (twice) in the last year.
1. Wanted to pick up my wife's 230i in Munich but the economics of the new ED terms did not work out. Far cheaper to have it delivered in the US than picking it up hence skipped out on the trip. (i.e. i got approx 15% off MSRP for a build to order car versus the regular 7% or so in ED)

2. I put a deposit for a M2 C and booked my trip to for a planned summer delivery. A month or so after my deposit was placed, i did some further comparison shopping and elected to go with 718 Cayman which was already stateside. Got my deposit refunded however i had my Munich trip booked. So my my wife and i took the trip to Munich and rented from Hertz. Got a brand new Ford Mondeo station wagon with just 75 miles on the clock ( :-) ). Had a great trip in Bavaria. Ofcourse, it would have been better if i was picking my car but it things change and life moves on!

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #19
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Hahaha I was going to do that actually... Take pics of the "AUDI" I got as a rental.

The rental agency gave the last BMW to the guy just in front of me on the line lol, just can't make it up!

Are these omens no to be ignored???

Audi is fun, autobahn is a blast, just got to pay attention to the speed changes.

Having lots of fun in any event, Weisen yesterday was a lot of fun. Germany is unreal, absolutely love it here. Still have a week and more left and planning next trip already

*Edited because typo...

Last edited by cooolone2; 10-11-2019 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:08 AM   #20
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Back in the States! What a great trip, even without the BMW. Could have used it as parking is ridiculously "tight" lol... And was jealous every time a BMW flew past me on the Autobahn

But I got back tired and spent, amazing trip. Franconia (first half of trip) seemed to be the best suited to my liking, but driving down in lower Bavarian, the Alps was just beyond incredible. The food, oh my... Even though I'm Schnitzel'd out, each place was great. There were a few that stood out above the rest and above any meal I've ever had... That says a lot. Will post if anyone is interested.
Anyways...

Traveled:
Wurzberg
Rothenburg
Nuremberg
Munich
Salzburg
Oberamagau
Fussen
Lucerne
Heidelberg
Frankfurt
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #21
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Well... long path has brought me here... She has arrived and is at the dealer! So excited!

Pick up later today
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma517.00
      12-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Just wanted to finalize this thread as I've had her for a little while now and it's an amazing car. So much fun to drive! Pic'd here is the final prep product readied for winter. Luscious Blue

Just a note, BMW Corporate made good on the Euro Delivery issue and between pricing and their good will gesture, I'm satisfied.

Still a little disappointed not having the Blue Sled over there on that amazing trip, but truth be told, the amount of bugs and everything else on the rental and I would've been freaking a little to transport it home, even if cleaned because there's no way the paint wouldn't have been messed up with a "quick" cleaning.

Anyways, off to the races
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50