THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Does an Auto F22 (M235i) have an electronic steering wheel lock?

05-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Does an Auto F22 (M235i) have an electronic steering wheel lock?

Shot in the dark, but getting info from the dealer on this is like drawing blood from a stone and the maintenace forum is more or less dead. Does anyone know if it has one? Ive been failed on an MOT for "electronic steering lock failing to engage" yet the car is displaying no warning lights/messages and is throwing no codes. You can't physically turn the wheel lock to lock when the car is off and its hardly a safety critical feature even if present. The tranny locks and the handbrake is put on when parked. Any information greatly appreciated.

Last edited by allthatisntnow; 05-21-2018 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: correction of grammar
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Some clarification: Basically the independent test centre made a mistake. Two dealerships have said they don't even test the steering lock mechanisms (even though they are technically part of the EU imposed criteria) and wouldn't fail them because, quite rightly, they aren't safety critical. Its anti theft. The auto transmission counts as an immobilisation device in its own right and obviously locks in park when parked up. The vehicle can't be moved. They were trying to spin a yarn about if i was parked on a hill and the handbrake and transmission both failed (I know), it would be apparently more dangerous rolling with unlocked steering (which would still be un power assisted anyway). So a manual parked in neutral on a hill that has a single component failure (handbrake) must be safer if it rolls with fixed wheels (which would be locked in any orientation the driver parked in) and will be able to dodge the orphanage field trip to the ice cream parlour.

Im doubtful that the car even has the steering lock fitted and neither the test centre or myself could get a straight answer from BMW bar what was said above.
For future reference to anyone encountering this problem, the MOT criteria states:

"If there is doubt as to whether a steering lock was originally fitted, the benefit of the doubt should be given. It is acceptable for the steering lock to be removed if it has been replaced with another immobilisation device."

So EVEN if the car has one (which I'm sure it doesn't, at least in the auto) they failed it without actually knowing themselves if it has one, which is against the MOT criteria anyway.

TL;DR. They cocked up and I'm getting my MOT pass.
Appreciate 0