THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics 3D Printed speaker adapters, in progress

09-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
ggabriele3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Msport

3D Printed speaker adapters, in progress

In my last crappy post, I was confused and didn't realize that the 228's base sound system = the Hifi. I've done a lot of reading since then and now I get it, so I'm looking into the same upgrades many of you have done.

I see that people have made mounting adapters for the door/rear/center speakers out of MDF, metal, and CNC'd out of plastic. I thought I might be able to do something similar - possibly better - with 3D printing.

Progress:

Mocking up the shapes in Illustrator, saving as SVG, and then importing to a simple 3D design app. I sized the two parts and joined them, exported as STL, and they're (almost) ready to print.

In the printing interface. I can control how dense (read: strong) these are. Anything from completely hollow (not strong) to 100% solid.

So, there is potential for customization here (channels for wiring, ports, and special shapes for more difficult applications (i.e. rear/center channel). We're only limited by your imagination and my ability to operate this software.

These would also be significantly cheaper than existing options.

I haven't done a speaker upgrade yet, so this model is based solely on eyeballing pictures and reading dimensions.

If anyone would like to collaborate with me on this, I could use some mroe exact measurements, clear top-down photos, or samples of parts to work from.

If I have a clear photo, for example, I can use photoshop and illustrator to come up with the exact shape and then modify it. Saves lots of time.

Also if anyone is in the NYC area and would like to beta test some samples, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
yusephj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

This is awesome! I was waiting for someone to try 3d printing stuff for the 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
ggabriele3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusephj View Post
This is awesome! I was waiting for someone to try 3d printing stuff for the 2 series.
anything else that needs printing? I'm always looking for a project
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
ggabriele3
Private
Rep

A little update, in case anyone cares.

The first version was done entirely by eye, then it occurred to me that I could do better.
So I removed one of the rear speakers, set it on a white surface, used a level stand and took a photo directly above it.

I took some measurements from the speaker and created some guides in illustrator. Then I dropped the speaker photo in illustrator and scaled it to match the guides.

Now I had a template over which I could use the pen and ellipse tools to draw the shape I wanted. This part took some time.

A few steps later, and I was ready to print - I let about 10 layers get down before pulling it off.

It's just a touch too big; I'll need to refine it to get it to match the new speaker correctly.

My new speakers haven't arrived yet. When they do, I'll check their dimensions and refine the design for a snug fit, and check the screw sizes so I can add some screw holes on the adapter.

Overall, i'm really happy with the progress. It's cool to see a 2D sketch turn into a 3D thing so quickly.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
ggabriele3
Private
Rep

To finish this up, I completed the install this weekend.

First, the rear speakers - these were relatively easy because two of the BMW speakers' screw holes match those of the Focals. I designed an adapter that would match the two holes but also fit snugly enough to keep the speaker held down.

The door speakers were a different story. The BMW front speakers have a larger diameter than the rear speakers (none of the screw holes match), but are also much shallower (without a spacer, the Focal speaker would hit the window inside the door). So I had to design something that was not only a spacer, but also an adapter.

Further complicating things was that the included screws for the speaker were too long - I first made a spacer long enough to accomodate those screws, but it was too tall - the tweeter on the Focal speaker pushed up against the door panel's speaker grille.

I had initially made the spacer 18mm tall, based on a design that another forum member had done. This turned out to be way too tall.

I first tried using the BMW's screws (about 5mm shorter), but they were still too tall:

Many prototypes later...

I was able to find a design that worked. I ended up using some short machine screws to secure the speaker to the adapter, and made the adapter only 9mm tall.

Side note, I saw that there is a wire going up into the sail panel of the 228; perhaps they are pre-wired for tweeters.

If that's the case, maybe using component speakers instead of coaxial would have made the install easier, since I wouldn't have to worry about the height of the Focal's tweeter.

I could go into detail about the install process, but i'll leave that in case anyone has questions.

The system sounds much better with the new speakers; detail is clearly better, although treble is out of control right now (the Focals effectively add 4 tweeters to the 7-speaker system).

Take a look at the difference between the size of the magnets on the BMW "hifi" speaker and a Focal IC100, which sells for $100 a pair:

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Note that you are comparing different magnet types.
The ones used in OEM ones are likely Neodymium type and larger ones are normally ferrite type.
High quality speakers can be made using Neodymium magnets but they will cost more than using ferrite magnets.
OEM speakers however are not of high quality and the use of Neodymium magnet is to save space and weight.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
ggabriele3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
Note that you are comparing different magnet types.
The ones used in OEM ones are likely Neodymium type and larger ones are normally ferrite type.
High quality speakers can be made using Neodymium magnets but they will cost more than using ferrite magnets.
OEM speakers however are not of high quality and the use of Neodymium magnet is to save space and weight.
Interesting, I didn't know they varied like that. In any event, the newer/larger ones definitely sound better.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
4got10won
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Hi, I know this is an old thread but do you happen to still make these? I am in need of 4 of them for my 2014 bmw X5 F15 for the four 4" door mids to change to focals.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4got10won View Post
Hi, I know this is an old thread but do you happen to still make these? I am in need of 4 of them for my 2014 bmw X5 F15 for the four 4" door mids to change to focals.

Thanks.
They are for sale on eBay, I ordered a pair a while ago. They're great.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162234855721?_mwBanner=1
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
4got10won
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmax500 View Post
They are for sale on eBay, I ordered a pair a while ago. They're great.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162234855721?_mwBanner=1
Oh Wow! and these fit the F15 X5 as well with no modification?

Thanks a bunch!! =)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #11
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusephj View Post
You should see the piece I printed. In the torque pro setup a few post down. I should probably change the title and add it to the cosmetic part of the forum.
Appreciate 0