THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Drivetrain Malfunction After Deer Accident

10-25-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible RWD

Drivetrain Malfunction After Deer Accident

A few days ago, a deer jumped out, and I hit going about 35 mph. It damaged mostly the driver-side front of the car. The car drove fine as it looked as though it was only cosmetic damage. However, as I drove it today, I got off the highway and was at a redlight, and a drivetrain malfunction error popped up. I was at the red light idling at 1000 rpm instead of 600, and had to press the brake pedal harder as it wanted to lurch forward. Pulled over to the side round and did the on and off trick and it was gone. Any chance that deer may have damaged more than some cosmetics? I am tuned and have never had this for 3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #2
JemJem
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Probably best to read the code if it ever pops up again. If you haven’t yet, look under the hood. Maybe your air box intake got damaged or possibly dented your radiator. My m235 has an auxiliary radiator on the driver side in front of the wheel. I’m not sure why it would throw a drivetrain malfunction if that is damaged but our cars are pretty sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 06:01 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1294642
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:29 PM   #4
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicWill View Post
A few days ago, a deer jumped out, and I hit going about 35 mph. It damaged mostly the driver-side front of the car. The car drove fine as it looked as though it was only cosmetic damage. However, as I drove it today, I got off the highway and was at a redlight, and a drivetrain malfunction error popped up. I was at the red light idling at 1000 rpm instead of 600, and had to press the brake pedal harder as it wanted to lurch forward. Pulled over to the side round and did the on and off trick and it was gone. Any chance that deer may have damaged more than some cosmetics? I am tuned and have never had this for 3 years now.
I also live in a state where deer jumping maybe a problem. I installed 4 deer whistles under the front bumper. From my experience, this seems to work if you drive over 40 MPH. This is inexpensive and worth trying.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0