THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Which 2 (and how equipped) should I buy?

04-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
cfischer6
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Which 2 (and how equipped) should I buy?

I've read many of the excellent posts comparing the 228i to M235 here so hopefully this is not a repeat of that since my driving situation is a bit unique (read: not ideal.) So I'm looking for advice from the knowledgable people here, so thanks in advance.

History: Started out driving a 1999 E36 M3 as the daily driver (5 mile commute.) Moved from Newark, DE to Philadelphia and took on a 55 mile commute, so I switched into a 2002 E46 328xi (I was planning on finding a different job closer by, but things have gone well at work and I'm still there. Yes, the commute is insane, but less insane than being in your 20's/30's, single, and living in Newark, DE.) Took the 2002 from 30k miles to 205k before I retired her, switched into a 2008 E90 328xi. I've gone from 40k miles to 145k miles and am now looking to replace with a 2 series, so either one should be a significant step up.

My commute now is a bit shorter, 45 miles each way to DE and back, and I spend the week in CT every other week (it's less driving to come up here for a week.) So I drive roughly 25,000 miles a year, 90+% of which is highway. Some of these roads are fun to drive on (I-495 in Delaware is a dream) but many are now littered with cops (Hutch in NY, I-684 used to be fun but are now radar trapped all the time.)

With the miles, I'll likely purchase and am not terribly price sensitive, but cost does matters, as does mileage. I'll have this car for 6-8 years unless something major changes in my life. One of the other posters here said that he didn't get to where he was in life by being wasteful, and I largely agree with that attitude, so to me value matters more than price. I'll also be parking this in a garage in Philadelphia, so there may be some value in the "less conspicuous" 228i vs. the M235. I'm test driving both of them tomorrow in either case. I'm debating between the following options:

1. 228i w/ Sport Line, Lighting Package, heated seats, All Season Tires. MSRP $37k
2. 228 w/ M Sport, THP, Lighting+Heated Seats, Summer Tires: $39k, then I figure another $1500 for winter wheels/tires and the pain in the ass to swap them twice a year, so 40.5k
3. M325 w/ heated seats, 44.5k.

If I go 228i, knowing my driving is mostly straight line, will I miss the THP? How much do I give up with All Season tires on either car (if it's snowing, my car is staying in the garage regardless.)

Drop some knowledge on me. What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
I'd go option 2 in your case. The car will look identical to a M235i but will get better gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Agree. Option 2.
      04-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfischer6 View Post
I've read many of the excellent posts comparing the 228i to M235 here so hopefully this is not a repeat of that since my driving situation is a bit unique (read: not ideal.) So I'm looking for advice from the knowledgable people here, so thanks in advance.

History: Started out driving a 1999 E36 M3 as the daily driver (5 mile commute.) Moved from Newark, DE to Philadelphia and took on a 55 mile commute, so I switched into a 2002 E46 328xi (I was planning on finding a different job closer by, but things have gone well at work and I'm still there. Yes, the commute is insane, but less insane than being in your 20's/30's, single, and living in Newark, DE.) Took the 2002 from 30k miles to 205k before I retired her, switched into a 2008 E90 328xi. I've gone from 40k miles to 145k miles and am now looking to replace with a 2 series, so either one should be a significant step up.

My commute now is a bit shorter, 45 miles each way to DE and back, and I spend the week in CT every other week (it's less driving to come up here for a week.) So I drive roughly 25,000 miles a year, 90+% of which is highway. Some of these roads are fun to drive on (I-495 in Delaware is a dream) but many are now littered with cops (Hutch in NY, I-684 used to be fun but are now radar trapped all the time.)

With the miles, I'll likely purchase and am not terribly price sensitive, but cost does matters, as does mileage. I'll have this car for 6-8 years unless something major changes in my life. One of the other posters here said that he didn't get to where he was in life by being wasteful, and I largely agree with that attitude, so to me value matters more than price. I'll also be parking this in a garage in Philadelphia, so there may be some value in the "less conspicuous" 228i vs. the M235. I'm test driving both of them tomorrow in either case. I'm debating between the following options:

1. 228i w/ Sport Line, Lighting Package, heated seats, All Season Tires. MSRP $37k
2. 228 w/ M Sport, THP, Lighting+Heated Seats, Summer Tires: $39k, then I figure another $1500 for winter wheels/tires and the pain in the ass to swap them twice a year, so 40.5k
3. M325 w/ heated seats, 44.5k.

If I go 228i, knowing my driving is mostly straight line, will I miss the THP? How much do I give up with All Season tires on either car (if it's snowing, my car is staying in the garage regardless.)

Drop some knowledge on me. What would you do?

Wow that was detailed! Sounds to me like you spend a great deal of time in you car...if I was you I would def get the car that has lumbar support! Sounds like you do mostly highway driving so both should get pretty good highway miles...of course the 228i will get better mileage. Dont understand the "less conspicious" comment. They are the same car with different engines. The 2015s I had to go around to the back of the car to see the badge to tell which one was which at the dealer the other day. In your situation I would spend my money on options that make the car comfortable for long commutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
If you're OK with the Price, Option 3. Not that much difference in MPG and you get that WONDERFUL stright six engine. Now, I do love my 228 Msport, I really do. But I had a absolute price of under $40,000 so 235 was not a option for me.
      04-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

I'd have to agree with the majority that for YOU, #2 sounds like the best alternative. I may be biased, but the THP is a must. I understand that you do a lot of straight line driving, but having those brakes and KNOWING you have the ability to quickly corner out of a situation is worth it alone. Further, you said the price for the M235 was 44.5. If so, that sounds bare bones whereas the 228i sounds like it may have a few more features such as leather(?), premium package(?), so while some of those options may be small, I think that should also be factored in.

Alternatively, I don't know if this is an option for you, but consider ordering exactly how you want, and in 2 months, you won't feel you like you made too many compromises.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Make sure you understand what MSport adds to a 228i if you already have the THP. It's mostly minor cosmetics, and a couple (IMHO) of losses. Consider #2 as a Sportline to:
  • Keep your fog lamps
  • Have a grained leather steering wheel instead of ungrained/shiny
  • More color choices
  • The chance to add an MPerformance decklid spoiler versus the very small MSport one incuded, without wasting it

BTW, even for your situation, agree that THP is a must-have.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
If I go 228i, knowing my driving is mostly straight line, will I miss the THP? How much do I give up with All Season tires on either car (if it's snowing, my car is staying in the garage regardless.) Drop some knowledge on me. What would you do?
Based on your statement above, option #1. Especially if you are looking at best bang for the bucks.
      04-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Without reading other posts before coming to my own conclusion, It seems that #2 would suit you best. If you came from an E36 M3 and then an E46, I definitely think you'd like the THP. Seeing that you've had those two cars, I think there may be a chance you'd regret not getting the THP. Lighting package is a must (IMO), as well as heated seats in PA (Cold weather package is negligible, since the 2 doesn't get heated rears, and a lot of people don't feel like they need a heated steering wheel either).

I think with your commute, you also might enjoy the tech package with the larger screen/nav/traffic updates.

The 228i's are plenty snotty, I don't think on a highway commute you'd miss the 35 much. I actually like the 28i engine better than the 35i - it seems much more eager to rev and play than the 6cyl 35 does; The front end feels lighter too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
cfischer6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Wow that was detailed! Sounds to me like you spend a great deal of time in you car...if I was you I would def get the car that has lumbar support! Sounds like you do mostly highway driving so both should get pretty good highway miles...of course the 228i will get better mileage. Dont understand the "less conspicious" comment. They are the same car with different engines. The 2015s I had to go around to the back of the car to see the badge to tell which one was which at the dealer the other day. In your situation I would spend my money on options that make the car comfortable for long commutes.
I spend 8-10 hours a week in the car, and knowing that I stay in cars for a while, I want to make the right decision.

So just when I thought I had researched everything - don't they all have lumbar support? (if not, this is a big input.)

As far as the comment on being conspicuous, maybe I'm really just referring to the ///M badge. Seems to attract attention, good and bad. I had a few issues in the short time I had the M3. 2 days after I bought it, it looks like someone kicked it in a parking lot, and a few months later someone stole the passenger side mirror while it was side mirror.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
cfischer6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Make sure you understand what MSport adds to a 228i if you already have the THP. It's mostly minor cosmetics, and a couple (IMHO) of losses. Consider #2 as a Sportline to:
  • Keep your fog lamps
  • Have a grained leather steering wheel instead of ungrained/shiny
  • More color choices
  • The chance to add an MPerformance decklid spoiler versus the very small MSport one incuded, without wasting it

BTW, even for your situation, agree that THP is a must-have.
Absolutely agree with all your thoughts here. I'm trying to figure out which I find more visually appealing. (MSport versus Sportsline)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
cfischer6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Without reading other posts before coming to my own conclusion, It seems that #2 would suit you best. If you came from an E36 M3 and then an E46, I definitely think you'd like the THP. Seeing that you've had those two cars, I think there may be a chance you'd regret not getting the THP. Lighting package is a must (IMO), as well as heated seats in PA (Cold weather package is negligible, since the 2 doesn't get heated rears, and a lot of people don't feel like they need a heated steering wheel either).

I think with your commute, you also might enjoy the tech package with the larger screen/nav/traffic updates.

The 228i's are plenty snotty, I don't think on a highway commute you'd miss the 35 much. I actually like the 28i engine better than the 35i - it seems much more eager to rev and play than the 6cyl 35 does; The front end feels lighter too.
As far as the Tech Package, two years ago I would have called that a must-have. I have the Nav package in my current 328xi. But then Waze came into existence and I barely use the built in Nav anymore. If this was a more reasonably priced option I'd think about it, but for $2000 no way when a superior alternative exists.

As far as the engine, that's where I'm leaning. Part of me looks at the price difference between options 2 and 3, and wants to say "just get the M235."
But I think the M235 will just burn extra gas and get me into (more) trouble that the 228i will, despite the M badge on the back and the better sound of the engine...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
cfischer6
Rep

Wanted to really thank everyone for your input and thoughts. It is very appreciated.

It sounds like, despite it being a bit of a pain to swap twice a year, that having a second set of rims and winter tires is the popular choice here.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As far as the Tech Package, two years ago I would have called that a must-have. I have the Nav package in my current 328xi. But then Waze came into existence and I barely use the built in Nav anymore. If this was a more reasonably priced option I'd think about it, but for $2000 no way when a superior alternative exists.

As far as the engine, that's where I'm leaning. Part of me looks at the price difference between options 2 and 3, and wants to say "just get the M235."
But I think the M235 will just burn extra gas and get me into (more) trouble that the 228i will, despite the M badge on the back and the better sound of the engine...
Fair enough. A lot of people still treat the 28i as if it's a N/A 4 cylinder (like the 90's 318i that was almost incapable of getting out of it's own way). Torque and HP are more than enough to get you in a fair amount of trouble nowadays.

I'm guessing you plan on ordering the car from your local dealer? Or does a couple local dealers have all 3 of those examples in stock already?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Wanted to really thank everyone for your input and thoughts. It is very appreciated.

It sounds like, despite it being a bit of a pain to swap twice a year, that having a second set of rims and winter tires is the popular choice here.
In PA? Definitely! tirerack.com makes it easier if you ship directly to one of their local installers who also stores the off-season wheels/tires...it's a pit-stop visit twice a year. Suggest Michelin XIce xi3 or Blizzak WS80.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
cfischer6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Fair enough. A lot of people still treat the 28i as if it's a N/A 4 cylinder (like the 90's 318i that was almost incapable of getting out of it's own way). Torque and HP are more than enough to get you in a fair amount of trouble nowadays.

I'm guessing you plan on ordering the car from your local dealer? Or does a couple local dealers have all 3 of those examples in stock already?
I'm planning on ordering it. Current car still drives fine, and if I had a shorter and more suburban commute, I'd probably drive it for a couple more years, but knowing I'm doing two 170 mile drives every other week, often at night, I want to switch into a newer car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #17
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
get a white one
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #18
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely. I'm from PA and I wouldn't have it any other way. My old 330i ZHP was very competent in snow that was higher than my front bumper.. even though I rarely needed to travel through such high snow accumulations.

Quote:
I'm planning on ordering it. Current car still drives fine, and if I had a shorter and more suburban commute, I'd probably drive it for a couple more years, but knowing I'm doing two 170 mile drives every other week, often at night, I want to switch into a newer car.
Got it - Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'd do a 3-series diesel.

Last edited by overcoil; 04-08-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
cfischer6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike View Post
get a white one
Well since you went there, other that VO, what color? I've never considered a white car but the dealership demos are both White and look sharp.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well since you went there, other that VO, what color? I've never considered a white car but the dealership demos are both White and look sharp.
You were on the right track!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #22
DCastaneda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You were on the right track!

Man I'd love to hate on you always self-promoting your car - but that color is just awesome. Wish they had offered it for the M-sport or the M235.
Appreciate 0