THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Wish List

06-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Wish List

I took my M235i in for a 1200 mile oil change. BMW didn't pay for it, but it gives me piece of mind. Afterwards I was emailed a questionnaire (how was the service, etc.). The last question was "What could BMW engineers do to improve this car?" I started typing 1 or 2 little things that I thought of, and then a stream of little things came out of me. Please note I'm not bitching…I LOVE this car. I'm having a blast driving every day.

-Limited Slip Differential should come stock on a sporty car like this
-I feel a bit stiffer chassis along with a slightly cushier "comfort" mode would keep the car flatter and with less body roll when driving aggressively in "sport" modes, yet a bit gentler when in "comfort" mode.
-For me, the wheels on the car are some of the ugliest BMW has made.
-The back seat is very cramped. A bit more room would be nice.
-The tray in the middle of the rear seat is odd. Foldable armrest with storage/cup holders would be better.
-Rear seat should split 40/20/40 like they do on European models
-iDrive has a poor interface that's not very modern compared to the $300 phones most are walking around with. Get Apple CarPlay integrated asap.
-The inside door handles are so far forward on the door that it makes it difficult for passengers to generate enough leverage to close them firmly. Moving them back on the door a bit would help.
-There's no grab handle for the passenger at the roof line or on the door to hold on to when "spirited" driving occurs. See comment above (move handle back on door a bit to help with this).
-4" speakers on the doors/deck are too small and subwoofers are too weak. Not enough powerful bass in the car, considering it has the upgraded HK stereo.
-Making the nav screen retractable like Audi does would be slick and clean up the look of the dash a bit.
-The sun visors have no extenders for when you swivel them to the side windows.
-Should be able to set sport mode (or any other mode) as default when you start car. Ditto re setting auto-stop settings.
-Alcantara seat option would be excellent for US (available in Europe)
-Oil temperature gauge should be stock on a high performance car like this.
-Should be able to set cruise control to default to "on" whenever you start the car. My Honda did this. All I had to do was hit the "set" button when I wanted to use it.
-With Comfort access, when you approach the car with the keys, the dome light should fade up. My Prius did this...very handy.
-Comfort access should allow opening the trunk via your foot like other cars.
-Provide a better front license plate mounting strategy then having to drill holes into the creamy new bumper, or deal with aftermarket products that tend to trigger the parking sensors.
-Have clear documentation on what the different driving modes do exactly and how they work with the shifter in normal or "sport" positions.
-The seat belt is a very far reach back for the driver and passenger. It would be nicer if moved a bit closer.
-Change the seat heaters to seat heater/coolers. My wife's 2005 Lexus has this and it's great having cool leather seats in hot weather.
-Users should be able to easily change things without "coding" their cars to do things like disabling the disclaimer screen on the nav, fold/un-fold the mirrors when locking/unlocking, etc.

Just thought I'd share some of my nitpicks and see if any of you agree or had others to add.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Damn that's a long list. Would love to see the face of whomever reads it. Lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
I am ready to slit my wrists after reading that. FFS!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan
Quote:
I am ready to slit my wrists after reading that. FFS!
I didn't even read the whole thing. It's pointless.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
You are being to hard on the guy. I think he is pretty spot on.

One think I would add is that a rear view camera should be standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Neckbeardz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I agree you have some good points but...

Quote:
Maybe look at a 4 series?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue II

I really hope this car has enough bass to my liking in the HK Premium Stereo as my G37S Coupe does in the BOSE system...
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE Summit Reserve (Current)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
No one is asking about why BMW didn't pay for the 1200 mile service? I thought it was verified as being paid for by multiple parties?

Did BMW refer to this as the "1200 mile service", if it was maintenance service why would it not be covered? Or is the "1200 mile service" fancy for saying "1200 mile oil change".. of which people confirmed that BMW had paid for them anyway?!

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
No one is asking about why BMW didn't pay for the 1200 mile service? I thought it was verified as being paid for by multiple parties?

Did BMW refer to this as the "1200 mile service", if it was maintenance service why would it not be covered? Or is the "1200 mile service" fancy for saying "1200 mile oil change".. of which people confirmed that BMW had paid for them anyway?!
it is a service, not just an oil change. they change out all the fluids, not just the oil.
it does not use the same fluids as an M so does not need to be flushed at 1200 miles after the brake in period. Some dealers will do it as good will for the customer, but its not needed so is not covered...
... at least that was my takeaway after the last thread that discussed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I hate to be this guy's spouse.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
You are being to hard on the guy. I think he is pretty spot on.

One think I would add is that a rear view camera should be standard.
Come on, cruise control activated upon start up? The most ridiculous thing ever in the history of ridiculousness.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

BMW could do everything he asked for but then the retail would be $60K. Funny how the back up camera comes up with most car magazines saying Honda, Mazda or basically anyone gives you this for $30K but you can't argue with BMW's business model. They are the most profitable car company for a reason (BMW brand not all brands combined). I would like the car as is at $30K but then you would have GM, cut corners, put parts in that don't work and you know the rest.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive

Last edited by Lucky13; 06-18-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i
Quote:
Lol certainly is excessive. Thing is that long list might actually cause his salesman to have a bad survey. That's part of his pay plan.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
I took my M235i in for a 1200 mile oil change. BMW didn't pay for it, but it gives me piece of mind. Afterwards I was emailed a questionnaire (how was the service, etc.). The last question was "What could BMW engineers do to improve this car?" I started typing 1 or 2 little things that I thought of, and then a stream of little things came out of me. Please note I'm not bitching…I LOVE this car. I'm having a blast driving every day.

-I feel a bit stiffer chassis along with a slightly cushier "comfort" mode would keep the car flatter and with less body roll when driving aggressively in "sport" modes, yet a bit gentler when in "comfort" mode.
-The tray in the middle of the rear seat is odd. Foldable armrest with storage/cup holders would be better.
-iDrive has a poor interface that's not very modern compared to the $300 phones most are walking around with. Get Apple CarPlay integrated asap.
-The inside door handles are so far forward on the door that it makes it difficult for passengers to generate enough leverage to close them firmly. Moving them back on the door a bit would help.
-There's no grab handle for the passenger at the roof line or on the door to hold on to when "spirited" driving occurs. See comment above (move handle back on door a bit to help with this).
-4" speakers on the doors/deck are too small and subwoofers are too weak. Not enough powerful bass in the car, considering it has the upgraded HK stereo.
-Making the nav screen retractable like Audi does would be slick and clean up the look of the dash a bit.
-Should be able to set sport mode (or any other mode) as default when you start car. Ditto re setting auto-stop settings.
-Should be able to set cruise control to default to "on" whenever you start the car. My Honda did this. All I had to do was hit the "set" button when I wanted to use it.
-With Comfort access, when you approach the car with the keys, the dome light should fade up. My Prius did this...very handy.
-Provide a better front license plate mounting strategy then having to drill holes into the creamy new bumper, or deal with aftermarket products that tend to trigger the parking sensors.
-Have clear documentation on what the different driving modes do exactly and how they work with the shifter in normal or "sport" positions.
-The seat belt is a very far reach back for the driver and passenger. It would be nicer if moved a bit closer.
-Change the seat heaters to seat heater/coolers. My wife's 2005 Lexus has this and it's great having cool leather seats in hot weather.
-Users should be able to easily change things without "coding" their cars to do things like disabling the disclaimer screen on the nav, fold/un-fold the mirrors when locking/unlocking, etc.

Just thought I'd share some of my nitpicks and see if any of you agree or had others to add.
too bad you bought it....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

get an M4?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #18
///cpt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i BSM/CR

the length of this list is crazy!

Are you sure you bought the right car?..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

As long as you can live with it , its ok.
For me , all new bmws should have the back camera and an option for cooled seats
      06-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
grapes11
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d

Nice list- most of your thoughts on ergonomics of the M235i are spot on- why would anyone criticize this guy ? Like he said -he had jut paid for an oil change that should have been covered and got a survey-why not give the engineers some good input.

Last edited by grapes11; 06-18-2014 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #21
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsliver
Quote:
I took my M235i in for a 1200 mile oil change. BMW didn't pay for it, but it gives me piece of mind. Afterwards I was emailed a questionnaire (how was the service, etc.). The last question was "What could BMW engineers do to improve this car?" I started typing 1 or 2 little things that I thought of, and then a stream of little things came out of me. Please note I'm not bitchingI LOVE this car. I'm having a blast driving every day.

huh?
on newer cars, if you have a bag of groceries say, and you have your key in your pocket, you can swing your foot beneath the trunk/back bumper sensor and the trunk will pop open.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #22
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Most of these are spot-on, minus some excess like extra room in back seat, cruise control, and cooled leather seat. Those would be higher level vehicles. Otherwise, most is true.

As to the folks bashing the guy for sharing his opinion of how to improve the car, Car forums seem to attract a very vocal crowd of folks drinking solely haterade.
Appreciate 0