THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Transplating Entire M240i Running Gear to race car

05-18-2024, 03:09 AM   #1
VehicleFX
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

Transplating Entire M240i Running Gear to race car

Hear me out, I don't think this is as big a job or as crazy as it sounds but maybe I'm dreaming. I'm looking for feedback from those who know better.

I think the B58 & ZF8HP combination is epic. I have an aging well sorted race car that has been left behind by modern equivalents so I plan on buying an M240i wreck and transplanting everything needed across to my race car this is required to run the engine and gearbox just like OEM.

When I say everything I mean it - all wiring looms, modules, switchgear, displays, you name it. I plan on taking the entire dash across which will house a lot of key equipment, the rest can be custom mounted as it sits on the loom. This is potentially a cost effective solution compared to the huge expense and compromise that comes from trying to run the setup using an aftermarket ECU & TCU and I get to keep OEM reliabilty, BMW community relevance and OTS mods and tuning.

The catch is going to be all the touchpoints the electronics have with the chassis. Maybe some things can be coded out but I'm not counting on much of that as I know CAN message mimicing is tricky. I''ve considered the following. What are people's thoughts, what am I forgetting and what are my unknowns?

1) SRS/Airbags: This is probably the one thing I can't take across. Will the drivetrain go into limp mode if it's not detected? I don't care about warning lights on the instrument cluster which might be all I get.

2) ABS / Traction / Stability: I assume this is all interdependent and expect I will need to take the ABS module + ABS sensors across (with suitable tone rings) at a minimum. I expect there will be some feedback from the steering system so either i'm looking at an angle sensor, or having to take the entire EPS rack and column across. Anyone have any idea on how critical these touchpoints are in relation to running the drivetrain? In theory if the system allows the engine/gearbox to run at power without them present I might be able to leave them behind.

3) Differential: Does the M240i electronics read data from the factory fitted diff? My understanding is it comes standard with the open diff, and so there is no active component.

Also for a change I welcome speculation. It might help me cover off things I haven't thought about that need more attention, or understand weird issues I encounter as I do the transplant.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 06:51 PM   #2
Shirazkhan
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F22,GO1,i20,POLO,BANTAM,BREZZA

If u do end up doing it,it will be epic.
Impossible no,but its going to be a ton of work.
Airbags=no issues,can even use emulators.
Abs=yes,the can comms will be an issue especially with tcu.
The open diff=can signal comms to abs and tcu.
Maybe have a chat with guys regarding flashing the ecu to eliminate all those can comms/signals.
The fem module will be a huge issue when missing certain can signals.
Stand alone ecu tried and tested +-2200usd.
Even if u dreaming it,its a damn proper dream.
Btw what car will be recieving the transplant?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 07:08 PM   #3
VehicleFX
Rep

Thanks for the reply Shirazkhan, nice to have some optimism on my idea. The race car is a Honda S2000, I estimate 1100-1150kg wet without driver with the conversion finished allowing for factory weight electronics, engine and trans.

What are the aftermarket DI ecu's out of interest? I can only find 2 things. One is the expensive Bosch DI module which is not an ECU but a DI controller that can in theory be made to work with aftermarket ECU's (but no one I have spoken to has any confidence of being able to do it so thats out of the question). Two is something called SCS Delta GDI6 ECU that keeps showing up in my searches - but again is totally unknown where I live so I don't even think I could get anyone to tune it if I bought it. And if I went down that path I'd still need to get a TCU controller which is more common now but still full of pitfalls. So you can see why I am pushing to stick with the OEM solution as it takes care of everything seemlessly without specilist knowledge.

Sounds like if I keep the ABS in tact it will be more straight forward - so I'll plan for that.

The open diff will be useless on track. My current diff is perfect for the race track, but worst case if I end up needing to stay BMW for diff it looks like I can just get the upgraded BMW LSD and use that. I see guys upgrading their 140/240/340 F series cars with the M performance LSD and apparently there's no coding required (which is surprising and a win).

Last edited by VehicleFX; 05-19-2024 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dom147118.00
      05-20-2024, 02:39 PM   #4
Shirazkhan
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Yes i was speaking about the scs delta in the uk.
But i understand why u want to keep it full oem,and the b58s down under are doing some good times that side.
A s2000 with a b58 and zf8hp is going to be epic.
If u do end up doing it,please create a youtube chanel and try and document each step of the way,will get alot of interests and revenue,with that said i do wish u all the best.
Do your homework properly before hand,u dont want to pay all the school fees now.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 03:42 PM   #5
Shirazkhan
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Just a random thing.Did u see what Joshua Opheim did to his s2000?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:44 AM   #6
VehicleFX
Rep

Youtube is on the cards for the build so I'll post back here once things gain momentum. Yes I did see the hype around Joshua Opheim's S2000 a while back. A clever Cyberpunk style S2000, curious to see if he develops further as I got the feeling it was part done.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:57 AM   #7
VehicleFX
Rep

Shirazkhan - any recommendations where else to pose these questions for more feedback? Can see a couple BMW coding groups on Facebook but the majority of the talk there isn't as indepth as here on Bimmerpost forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 04:54 PM   #8
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I have an M240i racecar that we've stripped from a street car (see https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1909982), still with stock electronics.

You do need the FEM, REM, airbag module, ABS pump, the rest of the DSC modules, ECU, TCU. No problems with the diff, there's no smarts there.

If you're serious about doing this, DM me. We're actually currently going the other way -- swapping all of the above out of my car to go with a different engine+trans+electronics package. Selling the whole lot at once will make my life a lot easier.
      06-02-2024, 08:00 PM   #9
VehicleFX
Rep

Thank you MSENDIT for your valuable input.

That's really interesting to see your thread and video of your M240i in race conditions. Will send you a DM now to discuss in more detail
Appreciate 0