06-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #64
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Personally I don't agree with C & D statement about the 6 speed manual being the choice for enthusiasts. I used to love manuals but after owing the 8 speed ZF, I would never go back - it is perfectly suited to the drivetrain and shifts almost as quickly as a DCT. Sometimes you just have to accept progress. The DTM drivers prefer paddles - its quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post

Unfortunately, these days with 8 speeds and fast shifters, the automatics are as fast or faster than most manual transmissions. Pity.
I think we are seeing the handwriting on the wall regarding transmission development. DCTs are fantastic transmissions, especially for race applications, and will be the obvious choice for Ferrari's, GT3s, and probably M3/4. But the ZF 8 speed is really an absolute marvel of design for single clutch automatics. I still much prefer a manual transmission in my sports car, but my wife's F30 335i with the 8 speed sport automatic is truly fantastic for daily driving and for the occasional run through the twisties. It is much smoother in auto mode than previous dct versions (I have not driven the newest dct that BMW offers), and is very quick to respond to up/downshifts, especially in Sport+ mode.

The proof of just how great this transmission is may very well be confirmed by Chevrolet. They are developing this transmission for the Z06 spec C7 vette, claiming it will perform on par with Porsche's PDK, which is one of the best dct available. If it can hold up to the 625/625+ power over time (which will surely be a 3s/11s or better performer), the industry may very well ask if the much more expensive to manufacture dct is even necessary.