View Single Post
      06-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #38
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
And anyone foolish enough to buy one of these slightly used from a private party and thus pass over CPO status they'd surely get buying from a dealer is almost certainly completely clueless about free maintenance so I'm pretty sure nobody here really has anything to worry about.
A CPO is nothing more than the Gold level extended warranty from BMW that you can buy on your own. Paying the dealer premium for a car that has been CPO'd versus buying a private party one for way less (that you can get inspected by a BMW dealer and also negotiate an extended warranty on from any dealer) is not stupid in my book.

I didn't buy private party for my E90 but I bought it from an Infiniti dealer as a one year old used car for about 7k less than any CPO with higher miles at the time. Since BMW changed their rules to allow non-first owners to buy extended warranties, I did that at a price of 2300 and came out way on top over anything that a dealer could have offered me, not to mention that I had 3 years left on my original warranty so I didn't have to shell out that extra 2300 until 3 years later. I also did know about the maintenance plan and even extended my maintenance plan when I reached 49986 miles and just sold the car off at 100k miles. Looking back, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

The CPO stuff became overrated when the rules changed and you could do it all yourself. You could buy any car you want from anywhere as long as it is under 50k and 4 years and buy an official BMW extended warranty on it. The rules are changing now for the maintenance but everything looks to stay in tact for the warranties.
Appreciate 0