02-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #46
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Definitely read the review rather than just watch the video. I think the answer to this question (in bold) can be found in two sources:

1) The two excerpts I posted regarding spirit and purpose:

Spirit and purpose
They built this car for grassroots racing enthusiasts.

Accessibility continues to be the driving force behind this car.

2) The fact that the M2 isn't done with development. It has been said elsewhere that BMW M intends to take lessons learned from the M235i Racing, and incorporate them in to the M2. That will give the M2 an immediate racing pedigree, which I think is a very savvy move on BMW M's part.

As for the stock cooling and transmissions system, just have a look at the price point. The key word here is accessibility. At €60k, this is the bargain of the century for homologation racing. Every change you make from the stock car costs additional money. The review says that BMW have tested the car extensively and the stock components are up to the challenge (with software tweaks). Presumably, this means they have expanded the safety envelope for limp mode so that the race car can run hotter. This isn't a car that they expect to go 100,000 miles under an extended factory warranty. It's a race car. Things are going to break.

This whole thing (the M235i Racing and delayed M2 release) is very strategic on BMW's part; they're definitely playing chess here. The strategy for the M235i Racing is to provide a gateway to grassroots racing at an accessible price point, while building a racing pedigree for the 2-series that will be used to support the marketing of the M2 as a spiritual successor to the E30 M3. Look for BMW to lean heavily on the notion of the M2 as a race car for the street.
Having flogged my fatter, heavier F30 on LimeRock for 4 20 minute sessions, I'll share the following re: cooling:
1. Oil cooler desperately needed.
2. Larger intercooler desperately needed.
3. Unsure if we need a Tranny cooler.

With all that said, I hit limp mode at the end of Run 3 on a warm fall day (these are full throttle 20 minute sessions so I was glad). And then again at the end of Run 4. I'm positive in a lighter car, with better tuning (I'm running the PPK so similar numbers to the M235i), and more cooling, I could've made it through the entire day without issue.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0