06-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #91
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The key question for me with all these new EPS systems is front contact patch feel approaching/at/over the limits of adhesion. Picture over-cooking a corner entry just a bit too much that you realize during your turn-in phase and now have to handle. You need to open up wheel lock to regain grip up front, dial back in a tad, dial out some, manage it right on the limits as you use up real estate trying to stay on track. How is the steering "feel" (i.e. direct feedback of what the deal is at the contact patch) during this situation? Is it intuitive, natural, direct communication that allows you to easily manage the tires?
No you are not getting that same feel like we love so much on our Boxster racecars. You have to adapt using sound of tires and the direction change of the car based on steering input. Like I said above I think the M3/M4 is much more problematic in this area than the 2-Series. Between the less than ideal ABS and EPS I find the car difficult to drive at the limits without going over - based on the lack of feel - the extra weight and more weight over the front axle not helping things.

When we pulled the N20 we weighed it wiring harness and all - basically a complete motor without oil because it is a little hard to keep oil in it now. ;-) The complete motor only weighed 356 lbs - that is light!
Appreciate 1