View Single Post
      09-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #38
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

From BMW. While it is true that at the low end the cars are manuals, at the high end the buyers want auto boxes. For example, the M5 only had smg until the US buyers demanded a manual.

"Frolich also confirmed that for the foreseeable future, the manual transmission is safe at BMW, both in M Division cars and regular non-performance models. “Of course, with a manual you are slower, but it is more emotional; it now says ‘I am a serious driver, I am a connoisseur’. So, we will continue [to offer a manual] even if only ten per cent of customers want it. That is why we offer a manual M5 sedan in North America. It is stupid – the development costs are huge – but we will keep doing it as long as the customer wants it.”

another quote from BMW:

BMW says manual transmissions are on the way out, insisting that fuel efficiency and performance benefits are no longer an advantage for the do-it-yourself system.

Speaking with CarAdvice at the launch of the 2014 BMW X5 in Vancouver last week, the company’s product line director, Peter Wolf, hinted that BMW doesn’t view manual transmissions as a big part of its future.

“It is no longer a question of sportiness as the automatic and dual-clutch gearboxes are quicker now [than manual transmissions],” Wolf said.

“They are also more efficient, which is a big advantage too. I don’t think we will see a manual gearbox much more in the future.”

"In Europe, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi are the top three manufacturers with the highest uptake of automatic transmission vehicles respectively, with Germany leading Europe in the move towards self-shifting vehicles."

"The BMW M5 is only available with a manual transmission in North America where, surprisingly, market demand has led BMW to put a six-speed gearbox in its 5 Series performance flagship as a no-cost option to the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission."

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0