View Single Post
      03-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #68
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
From someone who has been in the market and just last week put a deposit down on an M2C, I respectfully disagree. This may not matter to regular Joes who are not BMW fanatics, but these are the type of details that I and many others look for before paying top dollar for a car.

Picking between a used (2019/2020) M2C and a new one is like splitting hairs. The prices are only $2K apart between new and used - which essentially just shows how much resale value was lost.

The regular M2 on the other hand I was able to find in the mid 30s with less than 15k miles. That's a SUBSTANTIAL difference in resale value.

If you go on autotrader, try finding an M2C under $50k nationally. Not only are there less than 40 for sale total, but they all hold their value much better and none are below $50k with a clean title.

Then try the same with the OG M2. Of course there is a difference in the M2C being 1-2 years newer, but that doesn't justify a $15k resale value loss compared to the M2C.

It would have been much easier for me to get a mint M2, save 30% and call it a day. 5-10 years from now the discussion will be "Do you have an N55 or do you have an S55" when trying to sell one.

I don't know how long you've been a BMW fanatic, but this reminds me of the S52 vs S54 MCoupe discussion from 20 years ago. Even though the S52 sounded better, the S54 retained the value much better. Plus, nothing an M-Performance exhaust can't fix
You’re comparing apples and oranges. Almost all OG M2s regardless of mileage are out of warranty, which plays a major factor in their valuation. The M2C hasn’t hit they particular cliff yet.

MSRP on a new M2 was $53k in the states. It’s $60k for a new M2C. Most used M2Cs under 15k miles are selling for about $55k, with 2017 OG M2s with similar mileage around $42k. So you’ve got one car in warranty with $5k of depreciation in 2 years, and another out of warranty with $11k after 4. It’s really not that different.

In the long run neither car is going to hold its value all that well. They were produced in large numbers, many are modified, etc. I end up with new cars every 2-3 years myself, so the long term desirability isn’t a factor for me personally.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
ReRe397.50